InspiringPhilosophy: Is Atheism a Delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Video InspiringPhilosophy: Is Atheism a Delusion?

I've watched a couple of this guy's videos, most memorably about how "Where did God come from?" is supposedly a horrible counter-argument, and though I obviously still disagree with him, I think he's one of the more respectable YouTube apologists. To his credit, he acknowledges towards the end that none of what he's said ramifies on the actual existence of a deity, but he also drops clear hints of "You're just angry at God!" and "Y'all just wanna sin!" which I think is a bit unbecoming of an aspiring philosopher.

Regarding his central point, this is what I had to say, for whatever it's worth:

"Naturality does not beget validity. There are many impulses that come naturally to us which would often lead us astray if left unchecked. The human mind, powerful though it may be, is as flawed as any product of evolution. Fortunately for us, one of the human brain's most potent features is the capacity to realize its own limitations and learn how to correct for them (or at least minimize their impact). This is heightened self-awareness, not delusion. By your reasoning, then, a case could be made that theists are essentially surrendering to comparatively primal instincts when they accept theism uncritically."

If anyone's interested in my entire response, I'm "TranslatorCarminum" in the comments.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Glossophile's post
09-02-2017, 03:32 PM
RE: InspiringPhilosophy: Is Atheism a Delusion?
Life's too short.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-02-2017, 03:36 PM
It's an absolute mess of fallacies. I got about as far in as "science does not indicate that one's sense of a spiritual reality is a delusion" before I grew too bored to continue.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
09-02-2017, 03:42 PM
No more so than anything else. Wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

#sigh
09-02-2017, 04:47 PM
(09-02-2017 03:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No more so than anything else. Wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

this is the weasel ACX was bashing in his modal ontological argument video.. that should give you enough info to figure out the contents of this video

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
09-02-2017, 07:42 PM
"Just because religious experience happens in a brain, doesn't mean it's a delusion."
............. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-02-2017, 10:33 PM
(09-02-2017 07:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Just because religious experience happens in a brain, doesn't mean it's a delusion."
............. Facepalm
Yeesh. As if that's even anyone's contention.

What's really the case is that things that happen in brains can be anything from delusional to real, and there are proven ways to reduce the odds of delusion, illusion, or misperception, and to improve one's confidence in accurately estimating the likelihood that a thing is (un)true. There is sloppy and undisciplined thinking, evidenced and unsubstantiated claims, and there are ways to minimize one and maximize the other.

Yet every ... damn ... time ... the appeal of theists and mystics and conspiracy theorists everywhere is to the silly notion that things that can't be disproven are therefore likely to be true / real or at least it's beneficial to assume that they are.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
09-02-2017, 10:34 PM
It's genuinely amazing how far these "religious philosophers" will go to promote their woo-woo.

Your reply was excellent- pithy yet poignant.

Still not enough to make me wade into the YouTube comments section for a second day. Nosir!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-02-2017, 12:27 AM
I'd say a lack of belief in something is a "delusion" only if it's demonstrably apparent that the thing is obviously true. If my vision is fine, but I lack belief that there's an elephant in front of me, and people are producing photos of it, videos, DNA samples, showing how its presence affects the movement of other things... then I'm probably deluded.

Since "God" is rarely even coherently defined, let alone evidenced in any way, I can't see how it's a delusion. It's just a sceptical reaction to reality as it appears today. All the "evidence" I ever get presented with are just anecdotes or (flawed) logical arguments, neither of which qualify.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
10-02-2017, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 04:12 AM by Glossophile.)
(09-02-2017 04:47 PM)Ace Wrote:  this is the weasel ACX was bashing in his modal ontological argument video.. that should give you enough info to figure out the contents of this video

I actually referred him to ACX, and he quite unsurprisingly called ACX's arguments "laughable." I guess we can add projection to his list of fallacies.

mordant Wrote:Yet every ... damn ... time ... the appeal of theists and mystics and conspiracy theorists everywhere is to the silly notion that things that can't be disproven are therefore likely to be true / real or at least it's beneficial to assume that they are.

Yes, these people toss the burden of proof around like a hot potato. They just can't seem to understand that, no matter how much they want it to be, absence of counter-evidence is not counter-evidence of absence.

By the way, if anyone wants to see a rather thorough take-down of IP's argument, here's a video response that really holds his feet to the fire. As if his reasoning wasn't bad enough anyway, apparently he's also quite the quote miner.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
[+] 2 users Like Glossophile's post