Insult vs Victimhood, Prayers for R. Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Insult vs Victimhood, Prayers for R. Dawkins
Church of England accused of ‘trolling’ atheist Dawkins with prayer tweet

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/02/14/chu...fe3f70ec43

I see two things here:

1. Is it victimhooding and who's doing it. Are the atheists, claiming an imaginary insult or is the Church of England claiming they were unjustly accused of insincere or condescending prayer. Could go either way or both.

2. The "I'll pray for you", to be fair, has often been used in a derogatory way to demean, diminish and invalidate the ideals of atheist, so I can see why the public display of "we'll pray for you" gets on an atheists nerves when aimed at a noted atheist.

Individually it may not be anything more than well wishing but publically it is still a condescension, just as it would be if a group of atheists stated, "get well but we won't pray for you", to the news of the leader of the Church of England's illness would be. It is well wishing on the surface but as a groupthink/response for the purpose of public display at a noted atheist, I am suspect.

Do I think it really hurts anyone, no but I do think it might smack of "sticking your tongue out".

OTOH:
I don't really care. It hurts no one. I feel it would be best if the atheist community rose above what they felt as a public insult (whether it was or not) and just ignored. There are real world problems to work out, both religious and non-religious. I say our time is better spent elsewhere.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2016, 12:30 AM
RE: Insult vs Victimhood, Prayers for R. Dawkins
I agree to a certain extent. However if its not pointed out and dealt with people will continue this behavior. That's my thoughts
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
16-02-2016, 12:45 AM
The best answer is still, "Great, we'll think for you."
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-02-2016, 01:08 AM
Considering that prayer serve only to make believers feel like they're helping I don't see a reason to pray for atheist who is anything but shy about his views. It's simply idiotic.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
16-02-2016, 02:53 AM
I think they are expressing genuine support and well-wishing in a particularly tone-deaf manner which would be hard to come by were it not for their state of privilege. That said, if this IS something to be concerned about, it's borderline at worst, and there's a whole host of much nastier things that our time is better spent worrying about.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
16-02-2016, 05:28 AM
(16-02-2016 02:53 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I think they are expressing genuine support and well-wishing in a particularly tone-deaf manner which would be hard to come by were it not for their state of privilege. That said, if this IS something to be concerned about, it's borderline at worst, and there's a whole host of much nastier things that our time is better spent worrying about.

Agreed, but there appears to be an agenda here.........and even some within the church are uncomfortable with it.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2016/0...ays-bishop

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
16-02-2016, 10:51 AM
(16-02-2016 02:53 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I think they are expressing genuine support and well-wishing in a particularly tone-deaf manner which would be hard to come by were it not for their state of privilege. That said, if this IS something to be concerned about, it's borderline at worst, and there's a whole host of much nastier things that our time is better spent worrying about.

Aaaand the thread is already over. Go home, folks; Reltzik already said it.

Even if there is an "agenda" behind this, who gives a damn? It's either a slightly silly attempt at saying "we still hope you're okay even though we disagree" or the world's least effective attempt at antagonization, and either way, I don't care.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
16-02-2016, 10:55 AM
(16-02-2016 01:08 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Considering that prayer serve only to make believers feel like they're helping I don't see a reason to pray for atheist who is anything but shy about his views. It's simply idiotic.

Almost as idiotic as Mormons baptizing dead people! Laugh out load

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
16-02-2016, 03:06 PM
I wonder how god feels about all the spam in his inbox.

We might not believe but you'd think that the bibble thumpers would have given that some thought. Never mind.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
16-02-2016, 08:51 PM
(16-02-2016 03:06 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I wonder how god feels about all the spam in his inbox..

Obligatory answer:

[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post