Insult vs Victimhood, Prayers for R. Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: Insult vs Victimhood, Prayers for R. Dawkins
(15-02-2016 10:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  OTOH:
I don't really care. It hurts no one. I feel it would be best if the atheist community rose above what they felt as a public insult (whether it was or not) and just ignored. There are real world problems to work out, both religious and non-religious. I say our time is better spent elsewhere.

I agree. This situation didn't need to be escalated. It can't be known for sure if the Church of England meant the well-wishes to be some kind of passive-aggressive insult. If they said nothing, people would criticize them. If they didn't "pray" for Dawkins, then some people would complain that this action shows ill intent. They treated him as they would treat any other respected member of society.

Besides, it's in our nature as humans to rally around the sick and injured in support because we don't want people to die. Let's just assume that the Church of England means Dawkins well, and that they plan to resume the theological war when he's fully recovered.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-02-2016, 10:00 PM
(16-02-2016 09:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  It can't be known for sure if the Church of England meant the well-wishes to be some kind of passive-aggressive insult. If they said nothing, people would criticize them. If they didn't "pray" for Dawkins, then some people would complain that this action shows ill intent. They treated him as they would treat any other respected member of society.

Church of England ain't trolling. They're just fucking stupid and insensitive.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-02-2016, 08:28 AM
(15-02-2016 10:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

It's passive-aggressive gloating. The most mature thing they could have done is ignore it*, but they didn't. The most mature thing we can do is ignore them.

* If they say this anytime anyone famous gets sick, then they're being consistent. If not, then they're obviously gloating.

Compare this to people protesting Westboro who had those classy "sorry for your loss" signs when Fred died. Sure, this was better than signs saying "Ha ha! Your bigot leader is dead!", but it is still gloating. They did that to show Westboro that they're better than them, and they could have just ignored it.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post