Intellectual Snobbery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2011, 06:12 AM
RE: Intellectual Snobbery
This is ridiculous and ironic? There were a few maybe unfair statements made but the way faith is handling himself is poor at best.
Do me a favor and read over all of faiths posts. Anyways I for one hope there are no more threads like the four already posted.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2011, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 08:51 AM by Thammuz.)
I was nice enough to explain my rules (which I didn't consider really hard to stick to)

He ignored me and my request for a formal debate, since he seemed to have big plans for us; he just started spewing nonsense. I can't respect that, since there was no debating to begin with, according to the definition of the word:

de·bate /dɪˈbeɪt/ Show Spelled [dih-beyt] Show IPA noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
noun
1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints.
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.

His linguistic skills need practice, but that doesn't give him the right to pollute the forums like an intoxicated chimp would. English isn't my first language either (and neither my second nor third as a matter of fact). The reason I chose an English speaking forum is because I deem myself to be proficient enough to get my messages across with people from all over the world (English being the lingua franca). I don't go spamming on a Japanse forum either, just because I know +/- 100 words.

There is no need for respect for people like him. There are rules (written and unwritten) in every community, and he trespassed every single one of them. Doing so in a real club or organisation results in getting kicked out. We're much too nice to some people.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2011, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 09:49 AM by defacto7.)
(30-09-2011 03:54 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  Get it right, people: we (sane, rational atheists) are the victims in this North American world of overwhelming religious bigotry. Let's not help them trash us by trashing ourselves. Angry

And my point is, that is exactly what some of the posters have done, trash us all.

I don't disagree that we are victims. I have never espoused trashing ourselves, quite the contrary. I have actually instigated some pretty strong rebuttal in this forum.

Quote:I completely agree with Peterkin's statement above:

(29-09-2011 06:04 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  I'm all for giving people a chance, but in this case: a chance to do what? Save us? Include me out of that gig. However, for you, i won't try baiting him anymore.

As do I. And I have done so. But your anger is clouding your argument by putting me into a box that I do not belong.

Quote:I repeat what I said before: I will apologize to him if he apologizes to us first.

...and I really think I said everything I am willing to say on the subject.

Undecided

And that is childish. Why bother? I certainly never asked you to apologize. What's done is done. Pulling out of a useless discussion like an adult is a bit different than taking your ball and going home. And personally, I have never believed in the old testament "an eye for an eye" philosophy.

You are probably right that I was over the top in the way I approached my point. I am not apologizing for it but I will take it under advisement. Thanks.

clarification: When I said "your personal neurosis" in my last post, I was not referring to you. The "you" was global... any applicable person. It wasn't meant to personal.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post
30-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Stop you fools! Don't you see this was faithbaruts plan all along! Turning us against each other. Think about it, he came on thsi particular forum with sub-par ideas and arguments. twas never his intention to debate but it was his intention to troll and turn us aginst ourselves. I take it back. This guy is a crafty troll. Beware!

This is a warning from a professional troll.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
30-09-2011, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 01:15 PM by defacto7.)
(30-09-2011 12:18 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Stop you fools! Don't you see this was faithbaruts plan all along! Turning us against each other. Think about it, he came on thsi particular forum with sub-par ideas and arguments. twas never his intention to debate but it was his intention to troll and turn us aginst ourselves. I take it back. This guy is a crafty troll. Beware!

This is a warning from a professional troll.

Then he did us a favor. This is an exercise in reasoning and argumentation. No better way to find our faults and I for one am learning a lot.

BTW, I also know the mindset of a troll. Thanks for caring.

A little more... I truly do not believe you are a troll... here. Though I do think at times you do troll here. I think you are just being yourself.

30-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm a different troll. I troll those who deserve trolling. hence troll of justice.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
30-09-2011, 04:07 PM
(30-09-2011 04:01 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I'm a different troll. I troll those who deserve trolling. hence troll of justice.

Hurray for justice... go get m'

01-10-2011, 03:35 AM
I think I was only fair to him in my reply. I read all the posts, took me more that half an hour for that, then I gathered all of that and wrote replies to every thread. I used a lot of my time, he didn't answer a single question, not only to me, but to no one. So I labeled him as a TROLL and I still think he didn't come here for discussion, but to mess with us and troll around. Why I think that you ask? Because he didn't even try to answer any of the things we asked him, he didn't start any discussions, he just told his "philosophy" and walked away. So for me, he is a troll, not worthy of any more of my time. If he starts debating with us normally, then I could change my mind.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
01-10-2011, 04:39 AM
My oldest daughter quite rightly pointed out that my normal approach to human interaction, pleasant, congenial, etc, went right out the window when I started dealing with fundi christis. I became openly hostile. Angry with their intrusion into my life and dealing with it in much the same way as I have started dealing with telephone solicitors. Open the conversation on attack mode. Escalation be damned, I am already there was my approach.

After her admonishment it occurred to me that while hostility was easy to muster, it did not make me feel better about how I was dealing with my fellow man. Fucking ethics.

Anyway, now at the expense of sounding closed minded, I simply ignore these human train wrecks. I am not hostile, only indifferent, unless they start talking to my kids.

Hence the ignore button being hit on fatiB. Not intellectual snobbery. More like anger management.

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
[+] 1 user Likes coyoteran's post