Intellectualism and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 05:50 PM
RE: Intellectualism and Atheism
(27-04-2014 05:44 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Huh?

Can you read? Because I can write it again, if it's to hard for you.

No, what you wrote was nonsense. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2014, 06:10 PM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  You know, I think that Buddhism would've become more popular than outright nonreligion and atheism. And I (in a perfect world) would've also assumed that in addition to being Buddhists many people would become Catholics. It's not at all the case. You could say that people are becoming atheist because of the intellectualism, but I say that both the intellectualism and atheism aren't 'real' religious standpoints.

It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Ad nowadays, it's just cool to be an atheist. Because there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist. So I say that the information age isn't bringing an age of enlightenment about the world, but even more inescapable dogma. And the thing is, it could've just as easily been Buddhism. Or Christianity...

Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

And finally, again, atheism today is cool.

So you are saying that people don't become atheist because they are intellectual and have thought this through, but because it's cool?

It certainly wasn't cool when I grew up, almost all atheists were in the closet then, and many still are today.

I was 10 when I read the bible and became atheist - but I doubt you could have called me an intellectual at that age. I just didn't believe in fairy tales anymore.

More young people are atheist today because there is easy access to information. There is also easier access to communication with other young people who think like you, so your disbelief isn't something you need to hide all the time.

People become atheist because they don't believe in woo, and they have done this for centuries. The only difference today is that it is not a social death sentence to say so.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2014, 06:21 PM
(27-04-2014 05:44 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Huh?

Can you read? Because I can write it again, if it's to hard for you.

This answer.... not cool, hun. Not cool.

I think I can understand the gist of your OP, but you're not very clear, and clearly multiple people are having issues understanding what you're saying. We sometimes have issues understanding PaleolithicFreethinker with regards to zoology, but that's because he's brilliant. (He still explains stuff so that we can understand it without pithy remarks like "can you read?") Your OP... kind of a different reason involved.

Please clarify without the rude dismissals.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
27-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Incoherent bullshit much?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-04-2014, 06:45 PM
(27-04-2014 06:26 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Incoherent bullshit much?

Oh, yes. Much, much.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
27-04-2014, 06:51 PM
With gravy, please.
27-04-2014, 06:54 PM
(27-04-2014 06:51 PM)Charis Wrote:  With gravy, please.

How about Irish Cream...? Yes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-04-2014, 07:24 PM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  You know, I think that Buddhism would've become more popular than outright nonreligion and atheism. And I (in a perfect world) would've also assumed that in addition to being Buddhists many people would become Catholics. It's not at all the case. You could say that people are becoming atheist because of the intellectualism, but I say that both the intellectualism and atheism aren't 'real' religious standpoints.

It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Ad nowadays, it's just cool to be an atheist. Because there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist. So I say that the information age isn't bringing an age of enlightenment about the world, but even more inescapable dogma. And the thing is, it could've just as easily been Buddhism. Or Christianity...

Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

And finally, again, atheism today is cool.
This sounds like an attempt to belittle atheism by putting it on the level of "just a fad" by saying it's "cool", but not intellectual. If I understood you correctly, then your intellectualism is lacking and your post is not cool. Try again. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
27-04-2014, 07:26 PM
(27-04-2014 05:32 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Saying something incomprehensible, then following up with "Exactly" when someone makes a confused remark isn't a very good argument for anything...

Oh. Sorry. I said exactly because alot of people throw around words like intellectual, logical, freethinker, atheist, etc. without knowing or caring what they mean.
Exactly.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
27-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Indeed. In a perfect world we wouldn't be hardwired to believe bullshit.

Any "religious" point of view is, by definition, acceptance (on faith) of, at best, the un-demonstrable, and at worst, the flat-out demonstrably wrong.

So there's that.

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Pop culture is and always has been profoundly anti-intellectual.

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Ad nowadays, it's just cool to be an atheist.

Citation needed.
(most distrusted demographic in America says what?)

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Because there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist.

Citation double needed.

Skepticism is not a test. It is a state of mind.

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  So I say that the information age isn't bringing an age of enlightenment about the world, but even more inescapable dogma. And the thing is, it could've just as easily been Buddhism. Or Christianity...

Religion had its turn. It gave us holy wars and burning heretics. There's a reason we're not going back to that.

Science-based skepticism works, bitches.

Feel free to turn in your electricity, computer, and internet connection if you disagree.

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

Citation triple needed.

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  And finally, again, atheism today is cool.

No, just reality.

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post