Intellectualism and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 10:01 PM
RE: Intellectualism and Atheism
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

In case you haven't noticed, we don't do "sacred" around here. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-04-2014, 06:45 AM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Exactly. After being a Christian for 30 years, I finally walked away from it because I realized I wasn't cool enough.

It had nothing to do with Christianity not making sense to me or not being able to provide any evidence for its claims. It didn't take me years of wrestling with it to change my mind. I just made up my mind split-second when I wanted to sit at the cool kids table and realized they were all atheist.

(27-04-2014 05:26 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  What is "intellectualism"?

It's a term used by people to demonize those who oppose their viewpoints in an intellectual way (such as by being rational or asking for evidence of unfounded claims).

It's also a ridiculously handy label, identifying the person using the label quite nicely.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-04-2014, 06:55 AM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
28-04-2014, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 09:51 PM by DLJ.)
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  "people are becoming atheist because of the intellectualism, but I say that both the intellectualism and atheism aren't 'real' religious standpoints. "
Problem One: atheism and "intellectualism" are not and have never claimed to be "religious standpoints" (whatever that might be).

(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  ". . . there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist."
Problem Two: in order to proudly wear the label "Atheist", one usually must refute - at least to one's satisfaction - "religion" and god belief.
That said, I'm ok with being an Atheist just to be cool. As opposed to drinking the koolaid of god/religion.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
28-04-2014, 07:52 AM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  You know, I think that Buddhism would've become more popular than outright nonreligion and atheism. And I (in a perfect world) would've also assumed that in addition to being Buddhists many people would become Catholics. It's not at all the case. You could say that people are becoming atheist because of the intellectualism, but I say that both the intellectualism and atheism aren't 'real' religious standpoints.

It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Ad nowadays, it's just cool to be an atheist. Because there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist. So I say that the information age isn't bringing an age of enlightenment about the world, but even more inescapable dogma. And the thing is, it could've just as easily been Buddhism. Or Christianity...

Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

And finally, again, atheism today is cool.
I think that happened, like, in the sixties.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
28-04-2014, 12:32 PM
(27-04-2014 05:27 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Exactly

I think there is a way to express exactly what you're doing here; you intentionally explain your position extremely vaguely, urging people to ask what on earth your point really is, only so you can feel superior about that fact and dismiss anyone with the temerity to ask. All the while, you think of yourself as some kind of aloof genius, contrary to what you actually are; a pretentious, thinly veiled theist who spouts pseudo-intellectual bullshit in the hopes of some unknown entity reading it and deciding that your personal vat of mucous is particularly worthy of ascension.

Why the bloody hell people like you think pretending to be atheists will magically make people here agree with you is beyond me. When will you ever learn; we bash the bullshit, regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof.

It's actually the foremost mark of a religious person; believing that what matters is exclusively who has the opinion. That's why they constantly insist on pretending like how many scientists believe in god has anything whatsoever to do with the likelihood of god existing.

Bullshit is bullshit, no matter which bull excreted it.

Censored
[+] 4 users Like Elcarch's post
28-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I just want to know how much glue the OP had to huff before writing that.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
28-04-2014, 01:26 PM
(28-04-2014 12:32 PM)Elcarch Wrote:  Why the bloody hell people like you think pretending to be atheists will magically make people here agree with you is beyond me.

It's called "concern trolling".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
28-04-2014, 02:01 PM
(28-04-2014 12:58 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I just want to know how much glue the OP had to huff before writing that.

Naaaaahhhh not glue -- The Gold Paint is stong in this one.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
30-04-2014, 08:06 PM
(28-04-2014 02:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 12:58 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I just want to know how much glue the OP had to huff before writing that.

Naaaaahhhh not glue -- The Gold Paint is stong in this one.

Talk about bringing nothing useful to any conversation...