Intellectualism and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 09:12 PM
RE: Intellectualism and Atheism
(30-04-2014 08:06 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 02:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Naaaaahhhh not glue -- The Gold Paint is stong in this one.

Talk about bringing nothing useful to any conversation...

Oh, it's quite useful to clarify the depth of your delusion.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2014, 09:12 PM
(28-04-2014 02:01 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Naaaaahhhh not glue -- The Gold Paint is stong in this one.

No, you're right. It must have been oven cleaner you were huffing, to think that people would want to potentially ostracize themselves from their friends, family, co-workers, possibly lose employment, because they cannot force themselves to believe there's an invisible man in the sky.

They must do it to seem "cool" or "intellectual."

Sort of how gay and lesbian people "decide to be gay" because they "want to be ostracized" because it's "cool," so they just switch their sexual preference around to be more "edgy."

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
30-04-2014, 09:15 PM
(27-04-2014 05:25 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  You know, I think that Buddhism would've become more popular than outright nonreligion and atheism. And I (in a perfect world) would've also assumed that in addition to being Buddhists many people would become Catholics. It's not at all the case. You could say that people are becoming atheist because of the intellectualism, but I say that both the intellectualism and atheism aren't 'real' religious standpoints.

It seems that Atheism, Christianity, even Intellectualism have not become sacred tools in the quest for happiness, but rather a collective industry of 'cool'.

Ad nowadays, it's just cool to be an atheist. Because there is no way this many teenagers, adults, even kids are this capable or intelligent to be intellectual let alone atheist. So I say that the information age isn't bringing an age of enlightenment about the world, but even more inescapable dogma. And the thing is, it could've just as easily been Buddhism. Or Christianity...

Summarily, the choice of religion, lack thereof, or the choice to be pro "science" is not a sacred personal choice in the pursuit of happiness, it is a choice based around what's cool.

And finally, again, atheism today is cool.

Oh ok. If you say so.
Of course you wouldn't just happen to have any sources for that pile of shit you wrote do you ?

Jesus H. Fucking Christ. Is it escape week from the asylum ?

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Not sure if returning troll that was previously banned.....

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
30-04-2014, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 10:04 PM by Charis.)
(27-04-2014 06:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 06:51 PM)Charis Wrote:  With gravy, please.

How about Irish Cream...? Yes

mmmmmmmmmmmm Yes

Methinks the OP is possibly putting the cart before the horse in saying that people are flocking to atheism for the "cool" effect. I would agree that (in the more liberal areas) atheism is probably more "cool" and "intellectual." But that's not where it begins. There's a REASON it's seen as cool and intellectual; there's a BASIS for this. It JUST SO HAPPENS that atheism allows more for science than most of the current religions; it allows more... well... intellectual freedom to follow the evidence. Shall we say, more "free thought?" Wow, that's pretty cool! And... and... intellectual... oops...

We're not talking a wearing-socks-with-your-sandals type of "cool" fad here. We're talking about a belated cultural overhaul.

So why are some people putting all of this in quotations? Like "cool," "intellectual," etc? That usually indicates they're against it to some degree. For SOME reason, they do NOT believe there is valid REASON for atheism to be seen as cool and intellectual... and "free thinker" was put in quotes too, if I recall correctly... or at least was included as one of the terms being used in a mildly derrogatory fashion. So why is this? Ohhhh! Riiiiight! Because, per Christian theology, we must bring our thoughts CAPTIVE to the will of God! We must obey! We must take everything on faith! Wives, reverence your husbands! Obey him in all things! 6-day creation! (for the fundies) etc! This sort of thinking does not give one freedom to regard things like atheism or free thought as anything BESIDES something that should be put inside quotation marks.
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
01-05-2014, 05:48 AM

Talk about unaware self parody...

...and this is your own conversation!
01-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Oh looky there... OP is banned for being a sockpuppet of The Thinking Theist. Well I'll be.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
01-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Atheism is cool in the same way that the Guinness Book of World Records is cool.
Atheism doubts those odd claims that others assert until evidence of those claims are provided.

For instance, I would doubt that someone did this
The heaviest object sword-swallowed is a Dewalt D25980 demolition hammer weighing 38kg (83lb 12 oz). Thomas Blackthorne (UK) swallowed the 24mm (.94 inch) thick drill bit, then held the full weight of the hammer and bit for over 3 seconds, on the set of "Guinness World Records - Die Größten Weltrekorde", in Cologne, Germany, on 23 November 2007

But as fact would have it, we have evidence that it happened and it was recorded on the set of the Guinness World Records in Cologne, Germany, on 23 November 2007

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/worl...-swallowed

The platform of skeptical thinking gives rise to atheism.
And if you really care if your beliefs are true then you need to justify that belief with evidence, but most religious people DON'T care if their beliefs are true. They just enjoy the mental good feelings that the delusion offers.

So, yes, rational thinking is cool.
Delusion only feels cool

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
(01-05-2014 09:12 AM)Charis Wrote:  Oh looky there... OP is banned for being a sockpuppet of The Thinking Theist. Well I'll be.

Damn. That guy must really love us.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-05-2014, 11:04 AM
(01-05-2014 09:54 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 09:12 AM)Charis Wrote:  Oh looky there... OP is banned for being a sockpuppet of The Thinking Theist. Well I'll be.

Damn. That guy must really love us.

He sent me a PM, before getting banned, asking how I think he could make his posts better, after reading my neg rep on him.....seeing that he was a noob an all. Rolleyes

I did not reply. Sommin didnt smell right in Denmark. Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.