Intelligence & Modern Day Survival of the Fittest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Intelligence & Modern Day Survival of the Fittest
(29-01-2014 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 10:50 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I also think there is a strong case to suggest it isn't immortal to take advantage of ignorant and unintelligent people.

I think that there's a strong possibility that your case would somehow mirror those arguments used by Nazis to cull out "inferior genetics". Survival of the fittest, right?

Yes you may be right in a sense. I mean I have labelled ignorant and unintelligent people the reason for the worlds problems. And I have said that they deserve any bad things that come about due to someone taking advantage of their ignorance. However I don't intend to get rid of stupid people, I am just suggesting that philosophically it is not immoral to take advantage of people if you can convince them to give you money for dumb things like faith healing.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 12:02 PM
(30-01-2014 11:07 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think that there's a strong possibility that your case would somehow mirror those arguments used by Nazis to cull out "inferior genetics". Survival of the fittest, right?

Yes you may be right in a sense. I mean I have labelled ignorant and unintelligent people the reason for the worlds problems. And I have said that they deserve any bad things that come about due to someone taking advantage of their ignorance. However I don't intend to get rid of stupid people, I am just suggesting that philosophically it is not immoral to take advantage of people if you can convince them to give you money for dumb things like faith healing.

I'm suggesting it is. Sure, people who are deliberately ignorant deserve what they get, but the moral thing to do would be to try to educate them rather than take advantage of them. Education helps to eradicate ignorance, which leads to a better, more stable society in which ultimately everyone is happier, including yourself.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-01-2014, 01:11 AM
(29-01-2014 08:08 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Does anyone here feel that intelligence could be today's version of survival of the fittest. Now that physical attributes are less important, do you think that intelligent people should not feel bad about taking advantage of idiots? I feel as if unintelligent and ignorant people like those stupid enough to believe in faith healing or demon possession etc. deserve to be exploited because it is ignorant and unintelligent people who are responsible for a lot of the worlds problems and the reason the human species is not living to its potential. If we also agree that morals are not given by God and that they are decided by humans, and that many things can be spun to be seen as both moral and immoral, then you could argue that it is not immoral to take advantage of idiots. Finally, if we agree that it is unlikely we will have anything other than this life to live, is there any justification for us not to take advantage of lower intelligence people for example charging money in return for exorcisms if there is no consequence on this earth and no consequence after you die.

What are your thoughts?

Social Darwinism anyone?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
31-01-2014, 02:09 AM
I don't take advantage of people; it's not ethical.

No matter who you are, what you have or don't have, we're all in it together--live, suffer, many get the chance to laugh, and then we die (some easier than others).

Focus on the laughing and hope for an easy death.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
31-01-2014, 02:20 AM
The stupid and the superstitious breed more.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
31-01-2014, 05:29 AM
(31-01-2014 01:11 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 08:08 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Does anyone here feel that intelligence could be today's version of survival of the fittest. Now that physical attributes are less important, do you think that intelligent people should not feel bad about taking advantage of idiots? I feel as if unintelligent and ignorant people like those stupid enough to believe in faith healing or demon possession etc. deserve to be exploited because it is ignorant and unintelligent people who are responsible for a lot of the worlds problems and the reason the human species is not living to its potential. If we also agree that morals are not given by God and that they are decided by humans, and that many things can be spun to be seen as both moral and immoral, then you could argue that it is not immoral to take advantage of idiots. Finally, if we agree that it is unlikely we will have anything other than this life to live, is there any justification for us not to take advantage of lower intelligence people for example charging money in return for exorcisms if there is no consequence on this earth and no consequence after you die.

What are your thoughts?

Social Darwinism anyone?

I had never heard of this before and found it interesting, however I am not arguing that ignorant and unintelligent people should die, rather that it could be argued that it is not immoral to exploit these people for money.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
31-01-2014, 05:47 AM
(31-01-2014 05:29 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 01:11 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Social Darwinism anyone?

I had never heard of this before and found it interesting, however I am not arguing that ignorant and unintelligent people should die, rather that it could be argued that it is not immoral to exploit these people for money.

Seems we are still in a Lord's and Serfs cast system with very few people realising it.
A highly educated society would be undesirable for the elite.

[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
31-01-2014, 05:59 AM
(31-01-2014 05:29 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I had never heard of this before and found it interesting, however I am not arguing that ignorant and unintelligent people should die, rather that it could be argued that it is not immoral to exploit these people for money.

I have to agree with you on this thread, as I feel the same as you do.

I did a simular thread my self and got all kinds of grief about it.

Funny how every one gets a bleeding heart when it comes to sticking it to asshole Xtians, but when they're doing it to us, its "oh well, they just need to get educated and they'll see our side" , bullshit !

This is the kind of thinking that turned me off to humanism..... I say screw all the holy rollers at every opportunity. I sure wouldnt waste any sleep over it.
31-01-2014, 06:21 AM
There's what some people describe as the "ugly stupid" theory of human evolution. This is where people who are ugly & stupid rampantly breed amongst themselves while those who are intelligent or attractive tend breed slowly while avoiding the ugly & stupid people.

As natural selection shows, where there is an environmental niche there will be adaptation by existing species to fill that niche. All the low-skilled menial jobs that exist provide a suitable environment for less intelligent people to thrive in.

For a species to be successful it doesn't have to be more evolved, it just has to breed more and have its young survive. By that regard, intelligence could be seen as a hindrance to biological success.
31-01-2014, 07:12 AM
(31-01-2014 06:21 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  For a species to be successful it doesn't have to be more evolved, it just has to breed more and have its young survive. By that regard, intelligence could be seen as a hindrance to biological success.

Intelligence has and will do, pad the walls for the stupid, the "WallE" movie could be our future, if the smart die off leaving behind the mechanisms preventing the stupid from extinct-ing their genes.
All we need is a cosmological EMP event to stone age us, with the irony that 90% of the worlds population has none of the survival skills illiterate stone age humans possessed.

How many will be killed by each other or drop dead with salt water and stones in their stomachs.