Intelligence & Modern Day Survival of the Fittest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: Intelligence & Modern Day Survival of the Fittest
Most of what we call "intelligence" is so developmentally-influenced and environment-dependent that it would be almost impossible to draw any meaningful correlation with actual hereditary components of said intelligence. Being as how birth rate is inversely correlated with wealth, which coincidentally is precisely correlated with the outside factors influencing "intelligence"...

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
31-01-2014, 05:14 PM
(31-01-2014 04:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Most of what we call "intelligence" is so developmentally-influenced and environment-dependent that it would be almost impossible to draw any meaningful correlation with actual hereditary components of said intelligence. Being as how birth rate is inversely correlated with wealth, which coincidentally is precisely correlated with the outside factors influencing "intelligence"...

So there's that.
It also has nothing to do with survival of the fittest because you don't kill 'unintelligent' people by scamming them out of their money.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
31-01-2014, 05:24 PM
(31-01-2014 05:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 04:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Most of what we call "intelligence" is so developmentally-influenced and environment-dependent that it would be almost impossible to draw any meaningful correlation with actual hereditary components of said intelligence. Being as how birth rate is inversely correlated with wealth, which coincidentally is precisely correlated with the outside factors influencing "intelligence"...

So there's that.
It also has nothing to do with survival of the fittest because you don't kill 'unintelligent' people by scamming them out of their money.

Indeed; a facetious argument would be that exploiting (innately disadvantaged or not) people leads to their being relatively worse off which in turn leads to them reproducing more.

So there's that too.
Tongue

31-01-2014, 05:56 PM
In evolutionary terms, "survival" simply means to live long enough to breed and pass along your DNA. I have come across many stupid people who freely pass their DNA along to random offspring from random mates. Conversely, I know a few intelligent couples who have made the choice not to breed. If this becomes a continuing trend, our species is doomed.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
31-01-2014, 05:59 PM
(31-01-2014 05:56 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  If this becomes a continuing trend, our species is doomed.

You say that as if the trend were not a stabilising one. Granting, for a moment, that intelligence is purely genetic, entirely hereditary, and strongly correlated with birth rate (a hell of a sequence of assumptions!)... it does not follow that downward pressure can continue indefinitely.

Or, you were just joking, in which case, yeah, I think Idiocracy's a funny movie, but it is just fiction.
Wink

31-01-2014, 06:19 PM
(31-01-2014 05:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 05:56 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  If this becomes a continuing trend, our species is doomed.

You say that as if the trend were not a stabilising one. Granting, for a moment, that intelligence is purely genetic, entirely hereditary, and strongly correlated with birth rate (a hell of a sequence of assumptions!)... it does not follow that downward pressure can continue indefinitely.
While one could argue that intelligence his nothing more than an accumulation of knowledge, I do believe that there is genetic predisposition to being able to easily acquire that knowledge, as well as, the drive to gain that knowledge. In this age of information, anyone can spend their free time amassing whatever knowledge intrigues them. However, there still seems to be a large percentage of the population enjoying their blissful ignorance.

(31-01-2014 05:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Or, you were just joking, in which case, yeah, I think Idiocracy's a funny movie, but it is just fiction.
Wink
Fiction... or prophesy?? Consider

Wink

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
31-01-2014, 06:23 PM
(31-01-2014 06:19 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  While one could argue that intelligence his nothing more than an accumulation of knowledge, I do believe that there is genetic predisposition to being able to easily acquire that knowledge, as well as, the drive to gain that knowledge. In this age of information, anyone can spend their free time amassing whatever knowledge intrigues them. However, there still seems to be a large percentage of the population enjoying their blissful ignorance.

Well. Intelligence is, as I mentioned, incredibly dependent on environment and upbringing. Not that I wouldn't bet on a significant hereditary genetic component, mind.

But the point still stands - a sufficiently stupid person does indeed become less likely to reproduce past a certain threshold.

(the difference between intelligence and knowledge notwithstanding!)

31-01-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm not a fan of taking advantage of others. Against my silver rule morality and all. I don't however support prolonged use of safety net programs for those who are not disabled. I'd be for a limit of a certain number of years that would be the maximum safety net benefit any one person is allowed in their lifetime. After that, cut em loose and let them fend for their own. It's cruel, but that's the closest to what you described in your OP that I can relate to.

So...taking advantage of people, no. Letting people be responsible for taking care of themselves (and their offspring), yes. I have no problem with somebody being foolish, as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-01-2014, 06:32 PM
(31-01-2014 06:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't however support prolonged use of safety net programs for those who are not disabled.

Yeah.

Neither do the vast majority of those relying on social assistance programs.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post