Intelligence Squared Debate - 2009

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 04:53 AM
Intelligence Squared Debate - 2009
This is an old debate, but I think I would share it in case someone of you doesn't know it. It features

For the motion: Archbishop John Onaiyekan, Ann Widdecombe
Against the motion: Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Fry

And the motion is: The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world.

I want to share it for two reasons mainly. One is that if you miss this Hitchens part, then you don't want to miss it. But the second reason is Stephen Fry. I usually watched him in movies, like V for Vendetta, and this was the first time I saw him in a debate, and to be honest, I was very very pleasantly surprised of this discovery. He has class, his prowess as an orator. I think I might have liked him more than Hitchens in this one, even if a close one, maybe because of his passion that he emanates when speaking. But anyway, here's the video. It lasts two hours, so get something to eat! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
09-11-2014, 06:43 AM
RE: Intelligence Squared Debate - 2009
I've watched that a couple of times over the last few years. Onaiyekan's argument was incoherent even for a theist. His story about his father completely undercut any claim that you need a god to have morals and I have no idea how he thought it would bolster his case.

Widdecombe's argument was that if you ignore all of the mountain of evidence for vile acts committed by the church and just looked at the few relatively decent things she identified then it is a force for good.

Hitchens was his usual self. Fry was passionate about it because he could bring a personal view of how disgusting the Catholic Church's positions are.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
09-11-2014, 06:47 AM
(09-11-2014 06:43 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I've watched that a couple of times over the last few years. Onaiyekan's argument was incoherent even for a theist. His story about his father completely undercut any claim that you need a god to have morals and I have no idea how he thought it would bolster his case.

Widdecombe's argument was that if you ignore all of the mountain of evidence for vile acts committed by the church and just looked at the few relatively decent things she identified then it is a force for good.

Hitchens was his usual self. Fry was passionate about it because he could bring a personal view of how disgusting the Catholic Church's positions are.

Nice summation. I've watched it as well, should be required watching in all theology classes.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-11-2014, 07:04 AM
(09-11-2014 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
Nice summation. I've watched it as well, should be required watching in all theology classes.

Fixt

Thumbsup

09-11-2014, 07:26 AM
(09-11-2014 07:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
I've watched it as well, should be required watching in all theology classes.

Fixt

Thumbsup

more fixt
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
How did you know I was feeling nostalgic for some Hitch lately? Watched a couple of videos last night. I remember this debate. This is one of the first long debates I saw with him. So good!

Fun fact - intelligence squared has a podcast version of their debates now. They've got some really good stuff.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
09-11-2014, 09:44 AM
(09-11-2014 09:13 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  How did you know I was feeling nostalgic for some Hitch lately? Watched a couple of videos last night. I remember this debate. This is one of the first long debates I saw with him. So good!

Fun fact - intelligence squared has a podcast version of their debates now. They've got some really good stuff.

Ahah I didn't. Big Grin

So no more "video" debates?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]