Intelligence in Theists vs Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2017, 03:24 AM
RE: Intelligence in Theists vs Atheists
It seems to me one of the best indicators of intellegence is to recognise that we don't know all the answers.

That's where atheists have the advantage. Instead of thinking they can get all their answers from one ancient little book and the guesswork of the people who wrote it, atheists tend to have much more enquiring minds and will question things instead of blindly just having faith that something is true.

We live in an ever expanding universe. There is so much more knowledge out there yet to be discovered it's mind boggling. A never ending universe of questions we can spend all of eternity going out discovering the answers to.

Whether we are looking for scientific truths or philosophical ones that quest for ever increasing knowledge beats anything theists can offer.

Blind faith = closed minds = lower intelligence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MarylinC's post
26-09-2017, 03:00 PM
(26-09-2017 02:45 AM)Thinker Wrote:  I see most of you are joking. Good ones - you all have a good sense of humour and I appreciate that.

Uh... none of us is "joking" here. What we are doing is citing statistical results from accredited studies.

"The more education a person receives, the more likely they are to become atheists . Non belief also increases with intelligence and income. Residents of more educated countries see religion as less important in their daily lives".

Lynn, R., Harvey, J., & Nyborg, H. Average intelligence predicts atheism rates across 137 nations. Intelligence Journal (2009).
Barber, N. (2012). Why atheism will replace religion: The triumph of earthly pleasures over pie in the sky.

BTW, I'd be interested to read any statistics that either refute our claims about intelligence versus religiosity, or for you to cite any accredited studies that would indicate theists are more intelligent than atheists.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
26-09-2017, 04:09 PM
(25-09-2017 04:33 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Some atheist friends of mine insist that atheists are more intelligent. They are from Atheist Wolfpack facebook group.

I understand that atheism in definition is a disbelief in god and that's all.

But if anyone can confirm that what they are saying is true, that would be useful.
In America, at least, non-believers tend to be better educated than believers. Whether or not that means they're more intelligent is really a different question. One can choose not to go to college and still be highly intelligent, for example. There's also something of an unresolved chicken/egg issue here, viz.: Do non-believers tend to seek higher education more than believers, or does having more education tend to make one a non-believer?

Studies that actually address intelligence in believers versus non-believers (e.g., IQ) are rare, and to date, mostly metastudies, which have various problems.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
26-09-2017, 04:54 PM
(25-09-2017 07:09 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Seriously though, If I understand that at all, (which I'm not sure I do), I'd rather put it as:

Atheists deal in "Certainty's" whilst theist's go on uncertainty's. IE: An Atheist will only really say something if right/wrong or True/false if we are more certain than not, whilst also taking into consideration all other possibilities to define that amount of certainty. Theists only really deal with "God did it, so I win" without really providing us or even themselves any credible evidence to back up such bold statements.
Oddly that's almost exactly the opposite of the way I'd put it. Theists seem to desperately need certainty, whereas atheists -- particular those who have studied science -- are quite comfortable with saying "I don't know".

What happened "before" the Big Bang? We don't know, but maybe someday science will lead us to the answer.
Or maybe we won't ever know; either way, I'm OK with that, and with the fact that the correct answer, right now, is "we don't know".

But the theist HAS to know, even to the extent of inventing an explanation out of whole cloth,
including a magical causeless anthropomorphic supreme being.

What's the meaning of life? Does life even have a "meaning"?
I don't know, and it doesn't bother me to not know.

But the theist HAS to know; so he decides that the meaning of life is to glorify his imaginary creator.

Theistic belief sits firmly on the pedestal of argumentum ad ignorantiam --
if we can't say for sure "why", right now, and with complete confidence, then . . . God did it.

The atheist is OK with uncertainty, but the theist requires absolute certainly, even if he has to make it up as he goes along.

--
Dr H

[+] 5 users Like Dr H's post
26-09-2017, 04:56 PM
(25-09-2017 07:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'd hazard a guess that older siblings are more likely to be theists than the youngest sibling, and vice versa with the youngest more likely to be atheists. The oldest sibling is more like to be a conformist whereas the youngest is rebellious.

Well... not in my family, anyway. Yes

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
26-09-2017, 05:07 PM
(25-09-2017 11:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:  A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People and The Press in May and June 2009, found that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.

The survey showed that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power. According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believed in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists said they believed in God, while 18% believed in a universal spirit, and 41% said they didn't believe in God or a higher power

By contrast, around 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public (which is pretty alarming in itself).

Yeah, but there is also some fuzziness with those numbers, which aren't always easy to obtain. For example, from various PEW studies:

* Although the literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods,” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, 8% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit.

* About three times as many Americans say they do not believe in God or a universal spirit (9%) as say they are atheists (3%).

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

These are decidedly odd findings, and suggestive as well.

The second suggests that a number of people may still attach a stigma to the word "atheist", and are willing to essentially define themselves as non-believers, but are unwilling to take ownership of the one-word term that describes them as such.

Whereas the first suggests that there are some people who aren't at all shy about the word "atheist" . . . but who don't really understand what it means.

People sure are funny. Confused

The first suggests that there are people

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
26-09-2017, 05:08 PM
(26-09-2017 04:56 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 07:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'd hazard a guess that older siblings are more likely to be theists than the youngest sibling, and vice versa with the youngest more likely to be atheists. The oldest sibling is more like to be a conformist whereas the youngest is rebellious.

Well... not in my family, anyway.

Yeppers... same for my family.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-09-2017, 05:10 PM
(26-09-2017 03:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Writing Proficiency by Religion on OkCupid.com

[Image: ReadingLevelByReligion.png]

Found out about it from here:

Quote:In May, an algorithm was used to scrape 40,000 profile images from the platform in order to build an AI to “genderise” faces. A few months earlier, 70,000 profiles from OkCupid (owned by Tinder’s parent company Match Group) were made public by a Danish researcher some commentators have labelled a “white supremacist”, who used the data to try to establish a link between intelligence and religious beliefs. The data is still out there.

Out of 70,000 people no one wrote at even a 9th grade level?

Please tell me that the average age of the sample group was under 15.

--
Dr H

26-09-2017, 09:28 PM
(26-09-2017 03:24 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  It seems to me one of the best indicators of intellegence is to recognise that we don't know all the answers.

That's where atheists have the advantage. Instead of thinking they can get all their answers from one ancient little book and the guesswork of the people who wrote it, atheists tend to have much more enquiring minds and will question things instead of blindly just having faith that something is true.

Atheist is not the same as skeptic or man with wealth of knowledge. It's only god claim that is dismissed, rest of nonsense (homeopathy for example) can by easily accepted by unbeliever.

It looks like idealization of unbelievers to me.

Quote: We live in an ever expanding universe. There is so much more knowledge out there yet to be discovered it's mind boggling. A never ending universe of questions we can spend all of eternity going out discovering the answers to.

Yes. That does not mean that all atheists are interested in such.

Quote: Blind faith = closed minds = lower intelligence.

Being believer means only that one does not apply skepticism to one set of claims.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-09-2017, 02:05 AM
The main defense for theists in this regard seems to be that you shouldn't apply scepticism uniformly. It's just another mental defense the indoctrinated mind puts up, labeling certain ideas "special".

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post