Intelligence in Theists vs Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2017, 03:54 PM
RE: Intelligence in Theists vs Atheists
(03-10-2017 10:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Put a believer and a non believer on an island to survive and it's anybody's gamble on who would be the intelligent one with the knowledge + imagination, as well as creativity to survive. Believers and non believers are very scaled, just like their kindness or empathy.

Not much of a gamble though to predict which of the pair might rationalize their desire for the other's share of the resources into declaring the other a sinner/heretic/apostate and killing them at the earliest opportunity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2017, 10:34 PM
(04-10-2017 03:54 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Put a believer and a non believer on an island to survive and it's anybody's gamble on who would be the intelligent one with the knowledge + imagination, as well as creativity to survive. Believers and non believers are very scaled, just like their kindness or empathy.

Not much of a gamble though to predict which of the pair might rationalize their desire for the other's share of the resources into declaring the other a sinner/heretic/apostate and killing them at the earliest opportunity.

Actually, I've met some assh*le atheists and some theists who love to martyr, and give the shirt off their back. Heart
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
05-10-2017, 11:30 AM
(04-10-2017 10:34 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  and some theists who love to martyr, and give the shirt off their back.

But that would require at least a third person on the island for the theist to perform for. No point in climbing up on that cross with no audience.
05-10-2017, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 12:10 PM by Vera.)
Well, at least we found the first who went straight for the us-and-them demonisation with the added bonus of actually blaming it on "them".

This recent influx is starting to get rather bothersome, really Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
(26-09-2017 05:10 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 03:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Writing Proficiency by Religion on OkCupid.com

[Image: ReadingLevelByReligion.png]

Found out about it from here:

Out of 70,000 people no one wrote at even a 9th grade level?

Please tell me that the average age of the sample group was under 15.

1. I would guess that the reading levels in that bar graph are averages among each group. Even the lowest group (Protestants) would have some people with a reading level of well above 9th grade.

2. It doesn't surprise me at all that the averages are that low (even in the highest groups). Reading is a dying art. People just don't do it any more. Several of the most intelligent people I know don't like to read and aren't very good at it. They prefer to get their information from TV, lectures, audiobooks, etc.
05-10-2017, 04:41 PM
(05-10-2017 11:30 AM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  
(04-10-2017 10:34 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  and some theists who love to martyr, and give the shirt off their back.

But that would require at least a third person on the island for the theist to perform for. No point in climbing up on that cross with no audience.

I don't know, you seem to be playing at the martyr pretty well.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
05-10-2017, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 05:48 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(05-10-2017 04:26 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Reading is a dying art. People just don't do it any more.

I assume you mean reading books and not just reading internet posts.

Some people most certainly still read books. I probably averaged 40 to 50 books a year for my whole adult life, and as a retiree am reading at twice that rate.

Plus, the decline among Americans may have leveled out:

"Last year [2013], the NEA found that 52 percent of 18-24 year-olds had read a book outside of work or school, the same as in the pre-Facebook days of 2002. If book culture were in terminal decline, this is the demographic where you'd expect it to be fading fastest. Perhaps the worst of the fall is over. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc...er/283222/