Intelligent Content Agents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Intelligent Content Agents
This technology doesn't exist (yet) in a convenient usable form.

At some point in the future we could have software that learns our preferences, gets to know us and what we like. It will act as a filter for the information on the internet. It would filter spam among other things and find things that it thinks we want.

So my question is what will the consequences be when that technology comes to fruition? Will we generally only meet like minded people on the internet? Exposed mostly to things we already agree with?

Would this stuff make us go crazy? Would it create group delusions?

Meh.. I'm just speculating...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Intelligent Content Agents
That's exactly what it would do. My TV does automatically record shows and movies it thinks I will like. It's not wrong too often, but now I'm in a reality TV and chick flicks trap Smile

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
28-03-2013, 07:26 PM
RE: Intelligent Content Agents
*I hope this makes sense because I am very tired right now*

I dislike technology that tries to predict what items I would be interested in, or what shows I would like. Such programs are always wrong about me. For example, just because I like one fantasy TV show, it does not mean that I am interested in every fantasy show out there. It's not the fact that it is fantasy that draws me in, or the amount of conflict; it is the quality of acting, the realism of script, the depth of plot and character, the cinematography...

I watch a lot of action movies, and barely anything labeled 'drama' or 'comedy'. Would a program have ever suggested '50/50'? Of course not. But I really liked that movie, and am glad I saw it. Computers don't understand the reasons behind my interests.

A similar program instituted for internet use in general would shut out things that it thinks I would not want to read or watch, and so create an information bubble that I think is dangerous. If you get surrounded by only what you agree with, you aren't challenged, and you aren't made to think. Exposure to different ideas is important.

I want to see the occasional creationist forum post when I google a subject. I want to see a story from Fox from time to time. While I might actively search such things out if prediction technology was unavoidable, others would not. Fox viewers would only ever see Fox News. They wouldn't get a taste of other opinions. Being insulated from contrary opinion can breed extremism and cause you to lose your critical thinking abilities.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]