Intelligent Design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Intelligent Design
For this forum, I'm defining "Intelligent Design" as the idea that life was originally either created or seeded on this planet by some intelligent source.

It is my stance that this is a valid possibility and shouldn't be discredited without proof.

The evidence I claim supports this stance is the complexity of life forms as we know. The human brain is the most complex bit of "machinery" in the known universe, with man-made (intelligently designed) things only recently having any sort of comparable complexity.

I realize this is far from a popular view in this forum, but I none-the-less hold it. I created this forum so people would have a place to tell me how stupid I am without junking up other forums.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2016, 09:24 PM
RE: Intelligent Design
Hello!

Okay.. so, how might one go about working out if this is so?

As for your comment on the powers of the human brain? I'm prtty sure there are some folks who make a living out of studying said organ. I'm sure they'll be along to point some things out.

My thoughts on your thoughts are... Why did what ever designed life f@ck it up so much? (Insert all the weird/bad/mad/sad/terrible/etc examples here)

Such as this link=> http://wtfevolution.tumblr.com/

Consider
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
(21-02-2016 09:06 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  For this forum, I'm defining "Intelligent Design" as the idea that life was originally either created or seeded on this planet by some intelligent source.

It is my stance that this is a valid possibility and shouldn't be discredited without proof.

The evidence I claim supports this stance is the complexity of life forms as we know. The human brain is the most complex bit of "machinery" in the known universe, with man-made (intelligently designed) things only recently having any sort of comparable complexity.

I realize this is far from a popular view in this forum, but I none-the-less hold it. I created this forum so people would have a place to tell me how stupid I am without junking up other forums.

There is no reason to believe it without proof. If you want this intelligent design speculation to have any credibility, then you must define what is not intelligently designed to compare this alleged intelligent design with what isn't designed.

Charles Darwin himself explained why complex things can indeed be the result of natural evolution with no intelligence as part of that process as he broke down the non-contingent nature of the eye's evolution.

He also explained that it may not seem intuitive, yet that is what natural evolution is capable of.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
(21-02-2016 09:06 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  For this forum, I'm defining "Intelligent Design" as the idea that life was originally either created or seeded on this planet by some intelligent source.

It is to be rejected until you provide evidence for said intelligence.

And if was seeded from elsewhere, that is no answer at all. It is just kicking the can a little further down the lane.

Quote:The evidence I claim supports this stance is the complexity of life forms as we know. The human brain is the most complex bit of "machinery" in the known universe, with man-made (intelligently designed) things only recently having any sort of comparable complexity.

Your incredulity is not an argument. The more we learn about the brain and the mind, the more it appears to be a cobbled together bunch of gadgets that evolved.

Quote:I realize this is far from a popular view in this forum, but I none-the-less hold it. I created this forum so people would have a place to tell me how stupid I am without junking up other forums.

Stupid? No, just credulous and ignorant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
21-02-2016, 09:27 PM
I think what you’re really doing here is playing a game of what if? What if Earth was really seeded by an alien race? Cool! What if human DNA is really alien DNA that was spliced onto indigenous species to create us? How neat!

We don’t have evidence for anything like this, and we can't pretend that we do just to satisfy our sense of wonderment. Sure, it’s very fun to play games of what if and imagine the possibilities of the unknown. It fuels our interest to get out there and discover more and more! But we still have to be cognizant of the fact that scientific theories are based on evidence and not on what couldhave been.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-02-2016, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 09:39 PM by Reltzik.)

We can hardly discredit it until it generates any credit to begin with. Belief in ideas is earned, not automatic. If you don't agree with this notion, then there is an invisible purple elephant right behind you in an alternate dimension about to stomp you into paste sometime in the coming year with a multi-dimensional-phasing foot if you don't give me ten dollars. Please consider this a valid possibility and do not discredit it without proof.

The current theory of evolution has demonstrated tremendous predictive power and, despite being quite falsifiable (meaning, it could be shown false if it were actually false) it has withstood a century and a half of extremely rigorous, determined, and even fanatical efforts to show it to be false. In this manner it has earned considerable credit.

Intelligent Design, due to its vagueness, has no standard of falsifiability (meaning that if it is wrong, there's no means to show it's wrong) and no predictive power (meaning pretty much zero way of finding indications that it is true or applying it in any useful way, or for that matter any practical reason that we would care if it is true). If you would care to correct me on these points, please provide me with methods of falsification and testable predictions unique to Intelligent Design. But despite its lack of predictions, its, erm, practitioners (to use a nice term) have repeatedly committed to false positions based on their belief in Intelligent Design, only to have to scramble to explain why they were in error without that error indicating something wrong with Intelligent Design itself.

... but wait, hold on. You're talking about the origins of LIFE on earth, as opposed to the diversity of species seen in the present day and the fossil record. While you call this Intelligent Design, the definition you provide is quite different from what the people who invented and promoted the phrase defined it as -- the various "kinds" of animals being created in more or less their present form and with their present attributes (fish with scales, birds with feathers, etc) by an intelligent designer. Under your definition, an intelligent designer could have poofed the first pre-bacterial RNA into existence in a primordial soup and then just walked away, letting evolution do all of the designing. This suggests that you see Intelligent Design as less of a competitor with the theory of evolution, and more of a competitor with abiogenesis. Is this a correct summation of what you mean by Intelligent Design, or am I misunderstanding how you are defining it?

While I wait for your clarification on that point, two sets of further questions.

First, if it requires some complex source (the intelligent designer) to create something as complex as life, wouldn't that also require the intelligent designer to itself have a designer? Would that not lead back in infinite regress of designers, each more complex than the one that it created? Or is there some reason to believe that we are intelligently designed, while at the same time believing that our intelligent designer or some other designer back in the sequence was not? If so, what is that reason?

Second, what do you mean by intelligent? Intelligence is one of those tricky things where you think you know what it means until you start picking it apart and trying to define exactly what it is. So what would count as intelligent under your definition? Is an AI intelligent? All types of AI, or just some? What about a genetic algorithm AI? If this is not an intelligent designer of programs, why not? If so, would its natural analog (evolution) also count as an intelligent designer?
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
21-02-2016, 09:41 PM
(21-02-2016 09:06 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  The evidence I claim supports this stance is the complexity of life forms as we know. The human brain is the most complex bit of "machinery" in the known universe, with man-made (intelligently designed) things only recently having any sort of comparable complexity.

Show me proof of this idea now please. You made the claim. YOU must now support it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 09:44 PM

Until the existence of some intelligent agency capable of performing this act is established, this is only a "valid possibility" in the same way that the existence of a wizard colony in the Alpha Centauri system is a valid possibility.

(21-02-2016 09:06 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  The evidence I claim supports this stance is the complexity of life forms as we know. The human brain is the most complex bit of "machinery" in the known universe, with man-made (intelligently designed) things only recently having any sort of comparable complexity.

This is not evidence for your conclusion.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
21-02-2016, 09:48 PM
(21-02-2016 09:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

Until the existence of some intelligent agency capable of performing this act is established, this is only a "valid possibility" in the same way that the existence of a wizard colony in the Alpha Centauri system is a valid possibility.

Unbeliever. Yes, you're a mean spirited arsehole who never gives likes. However, you are far too intelligent to debate with this:

[Image: brick_texture3334.jpg]

Big GrinTongueAngelRolleyes

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-02-2016, 09:51 PM
(21-02-2016 09:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 09:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Until the existence of some intelligent agency capable of performing this act is established, this is only a "valid possibility" in the same way that the existence of a wizard colony in the Alpha Centauri system is a valid possibility.

Unbeliever. Yes, you're a mean spirited arsehole who never gives likes. However, you are far too intelligent to debate with this:

[Image: brick_texture3334.jpg]

Big GrinTongueAngelRolleyes

All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post