Intelligent Design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 01:45 AM
RE: Intelligent Design
When you're not use to stage 1 of the peer review process, it can be rather unsettling to have your idea picked apart by a pack of hungry vultures, but this is what every idea, hypothesis, experiment and conclusion goes through in science.

Every fact, equation, law and theory walks a gauntlet of criticism. It's why science dedicates itself to truth.

In religion, you can say any fucking thing that comes to mind and you'll find someone who is gullible enough to believe you the first time you say it. They won't question it. They'll just take it on faith as a complete and utter fact.

When dealing with people of science and people of faith, which group would you rather have at a busy intersection of cars, instructing you with a blind fold on your head, on when to cross the street ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
23-02-2016, 03:21 AM
(22-02-2016 09:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 09:01 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  So what the heck is this?

God is a spider.

So where are the spiders?

Damn it I miss that guy. Sad
23-02-2016, 03:26 AM
(23-02-2016 01:08 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I've got to be honest. As much fun as it has been reading the same arguments over and over, I'm actually a bit tired of doing so at this point. So I'm just going to say that Intelligent Design is a stupid idea which was created by theists in order to justify belief in God (apologetics). It wasn't created by known scientists who came up with the idea as a way to explain observations they had made. Thus, while (as I've been arguing) it is a possibility, it's far from something worth giving much thought to. Thanks for letting me waste all of your time with this ridiculous thread, but you all seemed to be enjoying ripping the idea apart, so I figured I'd let you have your fun. Although I may still post a few responses if I'm bored, you may consider this thread more-or-less abandoned.

Dude it was a good thread don't get upset its been really interesting. Its an atheist forum with lots of really smart logical people on it seriously what were you expecting ?
23-02-2016, 03:42 AM
(23-02-2016 01:08 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I've got to be honest. As much fun as it has been reading the same arguments over and over, I'm actually a bit tired of doing so at this point. So I'm just going to say that Intelligent Design is a stupid idea which was created by theists in order to justify belief in God (apologetics). It wasn't created by known scientists who came up with the idea as a way to explain observations they had made. Thus, while (as I've been arguing) it is a possibility, it's far from something worth giving much thought to. Thanks for letting me waste all of your time with this ridiculous thread, but you all seemed to be enjoying ripping the idea apart, so I figured I'd let you have your fun. Although I may still post a few responses if I'm bored, you may consider this thread more-or-less abandoned.

Dodgy ... Can't help feeling that you were hoping for a little more "Woooow, you're totally right!" with this thread. My wish for you this fine day is that you'll realise that possible =/= probable. Hoping that people won't notice the difference is literally the entire thread on which the "science" of ID *and* indeed the argument for the existence of a deity hangs.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-02-2016, 06:50 AM
Here is some context on the whole ID thing, we had a nasty troll Godexists on this forum.

Basically he ran an ID website and posted almost the entire content of his inane website on this forum through a series of posts, which eventually led to him getting banned. This crap pops it's ugly head up now and then, and it gets roundly criticized every time it does.

Here's one of the troll's threads:

All cellular functions are irreducibly complex.

ID died a legal death at the Kitzmiller vs, Dover trial, justifiably so, it's entered the pantheon of failed creationist arguments. Now it's down to being regurgitated by clueless/dishonest creationists pretending that it's some sort of science on internet forums.

ID'ers don't really think through the consequence of reducing their god to a mystical molecule mover. You see, if god is this mystical molecule mover, then it is creating diseases to destroy humankind and modifying theses diseases as we create vaccines to thwart this god. This god is actively engaged in biological warfare to wipe out life on Earth and we are fighting against it with medical science.

Come to think of it, I suppose that is consistent with a god that flooded the planet 4400 years ago. Laughat

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-02-2016, 07:02 AM

But you haven't been arguing that it's a possibility, you've been asserting it without demonstrating that it's plausible.

That's were ID/creationism fails every time. Because it has not only 0 evidence to corroborate it's claims, it's also untestable and unverifiable and inconsistent with our observations of reality.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-02-2016, 07:16 AM

I rather doubt your honesty. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-02-2016, 07:23 AM
(22-02-2016 02:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But once again I ask, if you think complexity demonstrates that an intelligence exists, does simplicity disprove it? (I should be clear, simple organisms DO exist)

Can complexity only come from complexity?

I can’t find an article I recently read that as evolution progresses it favors simplicity over complexity and “redesigns” the body part, organism etc. to be LESS complex and is evidence of continued evolution.

Here is a short TED talk on the eye that shows us just how it evolved and why it has problems with the design and how other animals have better designed eyes than our own.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-02-2016, 07:28 AM
The article I was referring to was an excerpt from this book

Complexity and the Arrow of Time

https://books.google.com/books?id=tiIYVy...on&f=false

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-02-2016, 07:30 AM
(23-02-2016 01:08 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I've got to be honest.

That'd be a first.

Quote:As much fun as it has been reading the same arguments over and over, I'm actually a bit tired of doing so at this point.

Imagine how we feel seeing the same unfounded assertions over and over.

Quote:So I'm just going to say that Intelligent Design is a stupid idea which was created by theists in order to justify belief in God (apologetics). It wasn't created by known scientists who came up with the idea as a way to explain observations they had made.

Given that you started this all with a comment that "ID" was an example of a theistic argument that held water I have to conclude that you are trying to run away now because you can't defend that assertion.

Quote:Thus, while (as I've been arguing) it is a possibility, it's far from something worth giving much thought to. Thanks for letting me waste all of your time with this ridiculous thread, but you all seemed to be enjoying ripping the idea apart, so I figured I'd let you have your fun. Although I may still post a few responses if I'm bored, you may consider this thread more-or-less abandoned.

It wasn't a waste of time at all. You were not the target audience for the bulk of the responses. You did manage to provide a platform for multiple people to explain in various ways why they don't accept the apologetics. It allowed us to show that creationism, under whatever name it is dressed up as, is based on faulty reasoning and is worthless.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post