Intelligent life right here on Earth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Intelligent life right here on Earth.
I was fortunate enough to get into keeping birds as pets about 15 years ago. I always knew they were smart, but really had no idea until I got my first one. I have seen first hand their understanding of cause and effect. Our little green cheek conure taught me a thing or two, when I discovered he or she found a way to trick me. He (Einstein) likes to get cashew nuts as treats once in a while. One day I had passed one to him through the cage bars (he was just not out of the cage at that time), and he promptly let it slip out of his beak (it really looked like an accident) and then I received a blank stare when I tried to point it out so he could retrieve the nut. He did this 2 more times before I called him on it (saying that I would not give him any more). He then laughed and continued to stare at me. As soon as I started to walk away, I heard him start moving. I turn around to see him once again sitting on the perch, with a cashew in his foot. That is currently our smallest bird. We also have a congo african grey that watches "chopped" on the food network, cheers on her favorite dish, uses over 100 words correctly (without special training), and does many other intelligent things. She clearly has a sense of humor, as she let out a laugh right before she was about to bite the cat. Of course with a groan of disappointment when I stopped her. She is a rescue and about 30 years old. For at least 10 years the previous owners called her "Otis". Two days after I got her she responded to my question "Is Otis a pretty bird?", she responded with "Isabelle is a pretty girl.". My macaw knows many different words, and all my birds were potty trained within hours of having them home. There are many other examples of intelligent wildlife (mainly birds), however I feel we need to re-examine what we call intelligence. I am pretty sure that I could teach a bird to manipulate the controls on a video game or radio controlled vehicle. I myself can do that very thing, however I could not build one from scratch. Because I drive, I am supposedly better or smarter than animals. Well, what about that chimp that was on the news. They said he had stolen the car twice. I am pretty sure he could not build a car, but I also know that I can't either. I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this subject. Sorry if I rambled too much.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 08:35 AM
RE: Intelligent life right here on Earth.
My friend's parakeet, "Luciano" (Pavoratti), pecks at the mirror, and sometimes pushes it outside the bars of the cage, but wants us to push it back in. Do you think he thinks the image is himself, or do you think he thinks it's another bird ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

27-07-2012, 05:44 PM
(27-07-2012 08:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My friend's parakeet, "Luciano" (Pavoratti), pecks at the mirror, and sometimes pushes it outside the bars of the cage, but wants us to push it back in. Do you think he thinks the image is himself, or do you think he thinks it's another bird ?

It is hard to say what they think. There was an interesting test done to magpies using mirrors. To me this test proves that they understand when they are seeing a reflection of themselves. Here is a link to the video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRVGA9zxXzk I had a parakeet that was incredibly smart. She chose me at the pet store. She loved dogs and cats. She would ride in my shirt pocket and would poop on command. It took her less than a day to master potty training. My dog took weeks.
27-07-2012, 05:50 PM
How did you train your parakeet to do that?. We've had 2 Budgies. Not at the same time though. but we can't get them to do anything.
28-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
28-07-2012, 12:48 PM
(27-07-2012 05:50 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  How did you train your parakeet to do that?. We've had 2 Budgies. Not at the same time though. but we can't get them to do anything.

I don't think they taught it. Luciano just started doing it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

28-07-2012, 01:06 PM
We have a Quaker who weaves things into new perches, swings, and climbing ropes. If we take some clothes line and tie a few long pieces to the top of his cage he goes right to work. If you try to undo his masterpieces while cleaning his cage, he fusses at you. He isn't a big talker and doesn't seem interested in purchased toys...but he will do some amazing things with the clothesline.

Our African Gray, also a rescue, talks a lot and often in the right context. Some phrases seem to disappear only to reappear years later. She makes all sorts of beeps and whistles and can bark like dogs big and small as well as meow. When we first got her (about 15 years ago) it took only a day or two for her mimic the sound of our phone ringing perfectly. If you walked out the front door, she would ring till you turned around and came in and then would laugh to herself. Damn bird. Several years ago she shocked a friend of one of my daughters when he walked by her with some french fries. She LOVES french fries. The kid sat down to eat as Chewy fluttered and danced around in her cage. When he didn't respond she stated very clearly and loudly, "Chewy wants some!" She knew what she wanted and how to get it. Her cage is near the back door so she whistles and calls the dogs when I open the door, I always thank her for helping.

One thing I have wondered about, my husband feeds and waters the birds when he gets home in the afternoon. He works Sundays so I do it but usually late in the morning when I am done cleaning...Chewy immediately dives into the water bowl and takes her bath. But only on Sunday mornings.

They can be a lot of work but they are interesting pets.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-07-2012, 10:58 PM
(27-07-2012 05:50 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  How did you train your parakeet to do that?. We've had 2 Budgies. Not at the same time though. but we can't get them to do anything.

The best time for training is while they are young. Budgies poop about once every 10 to 20 minutes unless they have reason to hold it. Mine was about 6 months old when I got her. Birds are pretty eager to please the people they live with. Younger birds do a bit of a dance when they need to go, making it easier to spot. Hold your bird over the garbage can or the place you prefer that they go and tell the bird to poop or whatever command you prefer to use. It may take a few hours for you to get the timing down, but once you do it is easy. Get the bird to go about 4 times or so giving it lots of praise and make a big deal of it and you have a potty trained bird in less than a day. Tweety (my budgie) got to the point after a month that she would nibble on my ear to let me know she needed to go. My 2 larger birds actually tell me verbally that they need to go. I find that my african grey adapts to new situations a lot faster than my dog or cat.
[+] 2 users Like Birdguy1979's post
29-07-2012, 11:03 PM
(28-07-2012 01:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We have a Quaker who weaves things into new perches, swings, and climbing ropes. If we take some clothes line and tie a few long pieces to the top of his cage he goes right to work. If you try to undo his masterpieces while cleaning his cage, he fusses at you. He isn't a big talker and doesn't seem interested in purchased toys...but he will do some amazing things with the clothesline.

Our African Gray, also a rescue, talks a lot and often in the right context. Some phrases seem to disappear only to reappear years later. She makes all sorts of beeps and whistles and can bark like dogs big and small as well as meow. When we first got her (about 15 years ago) it took only a day or two for her mimic the sound of our phone ringing perfectly. If you walked out the front door, she would ring till you turned around and came in and then would laugh to herself. Damn bird. Several years ago she shocked a friend of one of my daughters when he walked by her with some french fries. She LOVES french fries. The kid sat down to eat as Chewy fluttered and danced around in her cage. When he didn't respond she stated very clearly and loudly, "Chewy wants some!" She knew what she wanted and how to get it. Her cage is near the back door so she whistles and calls the dogs when I open the door, I always thank her for helping.

One thing I have wondered about, my husband feeds and waters the birds when he gets home in the afternoon. He works Sundays so I do it but usually late in the morning when I am done cleaning...Chewy immediately dives into the water bowl and takes her bath. But only on Sunday mornings.

They can be a lot of work but they are interesting pets.

It might be her way of making sure she gets her bath same day each week. I have noticed that they are quite aware of the passage of time.
29-07-2012, 11:55 PM
(28-07-2012 01:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We have a Quaker .... cage ...

!!!
I'm all for controlling the excesses of the religious but keeping them in cages? Surely that's a bit extreme.

Ok, maybe Baptist, Mormons and Scientologists but Quakers are fairly harmless aren't they?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post