Intelligent life right here on Earth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2012, 11:57 PM
RE: Intelligent life right here on Earth.
Ooooh, ooooh, I want pictures of your macaw (and the others if you can). These are gorgeous birds!!!

Is it true, Birdguy, that they are a very 'one person' bird???
A friends of mine had one years ago and when she got a boyfriend the bird went crazy and wouldn't let him go near her.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2012, 01:33 AM
(29-07-2012 11:57 PM)aurora Wrote:  Ooooh, ooooh, I want pictures of your macaw (and the others if you can). These are gorgeous birds!!!

A friends of mine had one years ago and when she got a boyfriend the bird went crazy and wouldn't let him go near her.

Yes, I will post some pictures later today. I am at work at the moment. My macaw got very angry when I found a girlfriend and then even angrier 2 years later when I married her and moved out leaving him behind. He always got along with my parents, but took a long time to try to make peace with my wife. Taz still does not live with us, as our house is too small for his cage. One day after my parents die, we will get him back. They can live to be between 80 to 100 years old and he just turned 12. If you socialize them from the start, they will go to anyone. I trained Taz to not trust everyone, because I was afraid someone might steal him. He is slow to accept new people. He took longer than expected to accept my wife, because she was competition for my attention.
30-07-2012, 02:39 AM
(30-07-2012 01:33 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(29-07-2012 11:57 PM)aurora Wrote:  Ooooh, ooooh, I want pictures of your macaw (and the others if you can). These are gorgeous birds!!!

Yes, I will post some pictures later today. I am at work at the moment. My macaw got very angry when I found a girlfriend and then even angrier 2 years later when I married her and moved out leaving him behind. He always got along with my parents, but took a long time to try to make peace with my wife. Taz still does not live with us, as our house is too small for his cage. One day after my parents die, we will get him back. They can live to be between 80 to 100 years old and he just turned 12. If you socialize them from the start, they will go to anyone. I trained Taz to not trust everyone, because I was afraid someone might steal him. He is slow to accept new people. He took longer than expected to accept my wife, because she was competition for my attention.

Oh okay, so it's a training thing. Fair enough. Can't wait for the pics Smile

They're expensive too, aren't they? Especially the hand-reared baby birds.
Any info you would like to impart would be great!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
30-07-2012, 03:34 AM
(30-07-2012 02:39 AM)aurora Wrote:  
(30-07-2012 01:33 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Yes, I will post some pictures later today. I am at work at the moment. My macaw got very angry when I found a girlfriend and then even angrier 2 years later when I married her and moved out leaving him behind. He always got along with my parents, but took a long time to try to make peace with my wife. Taz still does not live with us, as our house is too small for his cage. One day after my parents die, we will get him back. They can live to be between 80 to 100 years old and he just turned 12. If you socialize them from the start, they will go to anyone. I trained Taz to not trust everyone, because I was afraid someone might steal him. He is slow to accept new people. He took longer than expected to accept my wife, because she was competition for my attention.

Oh okay, so it's a training thing. Fair enough. Can't wait for the pics Smile

They're expensive too, aren't they? Especially the hand-reared baby birds.
Any info you would like to impart would be great!

My macaw cost me roughly $1800 US. Given that he should live to be at least 70, he will have cost me 25.7 dollars per year lived, not counting food of course. There are people out there that will pay 1000 for a dog that will live maybe 13 years if they are lucky. My grey cost me nothing. She is a rescue and as close as we can figure, she is around 30 years old. I adopted her, because I have experience with larger parrots. If you do your research, you can probably find someone giving their bird(s) away, because they just don't fit their lifestyle any more. This is of course code for "we didn't do our research before making the purchase and had no idea how long they would live.". Poor Isabelle had the same story. The people that had her just didn't want her anymore. When I got her, she was distrustful of humans. It took about 2 years to make her the peaceful bird she is now. Needless to say I got bit more than a few times. I have a youtube vid I did of Isabelle. There is also a video of my bird Taz eating off a spoon in my channel. Here are both links. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCutuBr5SY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE3vD-ZNhio

Sorry for the bad quality. I was very awkward in the video with Isabelle and the one of Taz is too dark. I'll try to get over there today and take some pics.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
30-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Saw a vid of these crows... they take their nuts, drop 'em in the crosswalk, wait for the traffic to separate shell from good stuff, then wait for the walk light... I mean, we're not really that intelligent. What we do, is use tools, and simulate future. That's about it. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2012, 01:09 PM
The more we begin to understand the chemical and neurological reactions within our fellow animals, the less different we appear.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
23-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Sorry for taking so long to post this. Here is a youtube vid I did with Isabelle. I am very stiff in the video, because I am not used to this. I also have pictures on my phone of my other birds, so I will attempt to post them later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCutuBr5SY
23-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Here is a family picture I had taken before I met my wife and when I still live with my parents. I have to wait until I get home before I can post more recent stuff. In the picture from left to right are myself, Taz the macaw, my mom, angel my mom's goffin, tweety, my sweet little parakeet I still miss her, my dad, and finally Einstein the greencheek conure. Parakeets can make excellent pets and only cost 15 dollars.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)