Intensely Religious Corporations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 04:00 PM
RE: Intensely Religious Corporations
(29-06-2012 03:50 PM)kim Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 03:04 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I thought that was illegal?

I don't think they can fire you for religious reasons. But I'm also pretty sure any private company can hire anyone they want for whatever reasons they want. As such, I think if you were hired by telling them you were a Christian and then it turned out you were really an Atheist... you could rightly and legally, be fired for lying or misrepresentation.

The only thing I can think of, would be if someone worked there already and seriously de-converted, became an agnostic and/or Atheist and was then fired... one would be then be legally protected and able to file suit. But they start and end each day with prayer... so why bother with that craziness?

Hobby Lobby makes it very clear they will sell to anyone, but the irreligious need not apply to work there. Legal when you do it up front.

I finally got this article pulled up.... and what do you know... TYSON. Of course. 12 city blocks from my house.
That's some serious anti-union shit right there, too. They are indeed a pile of shit. Shy
It is illegal to even ask the question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 04:47 PM
(29-06-2012 04:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is illegal to even ask the question.

Yes, it is. But they do it... or rather have done it before. About 10 years ago, my friend was asked when he applied at Hobby Lobby in Lawrence KS. At the time he told them Christian, they never called him back, anyway... but he was kind of freaked that they asked him.

I thought it was strange, but later I found out that at least that particular store, it was known to happen and even had some legal suit settled over it. I can only think their legal department finally instructed them that they were on their own. I'm going to see if I can find anything about that particular store in the local papers' archive, but I had no idea religion in the workplace was such a big deal.

There seem to be a lot of issues concerning religion in the work place in the past decade. Strange. Confused

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
29-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I knew it was suspicious my niece always had those dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets... Those Tyson folks are trying to teach her that Dinosaurs lived with human beings! I will stick to my Perdue Chicken that can talk and text thank you vewwy much!

I never have and don't think I ever will be an In and Out Burger guy... besides it's west of the Mississippi anyway and I don't swing that way often.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna bow to Chas -he's right; it's illegal to ask the question and thinking about it, I can't imagine someone wouldn't be able to get them on it if they filed a claim. I called and questioned my friend who confirmed his interview story; he said he was asked in a very conversational way and that he'd later heard a similar story from another friend who'd applied. However, I couldn't find anything where they were taken to court over hiring practices. I didn't research that much but still, I should have found something, right? So now, I don't know what to think. Undecided

I did find a couple of not great site sources which allude to very similar claims, but I can only think they might be hearsay. Then again, this isn't exactly a squeaky clean company, either... in fact... looks like even Christians don't care much for Hobby Lobby.

Oh well, now I really know how shitty Hobby Lobby is... too bad a company can't be taken to court for just being assholes. No

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-06-2012, 04:54 AM
big brands?
I can honestly say I haven't herd of any of those brands except for George Foreman, because I own one of the dudes grills.

I promise yall that when I set up my multi-trillion dollar corporation, it will not be religious.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Is it weird that I've never heard about any of these companies? Confused

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-06-2012, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2012 07:10 AM by Ghost.)
Hey, Vosur.

No. I was just about to say that virtually none of these companies exist in Quebec. Except Curves. An ex girlfriend of mine dropped her membership like a hot potato when she found out they donate money to anti-abortion causes.

I dig companies doing things like closing on Sunday or dropping Chinese sweat shops when it affects the bottom line. Nobel laureate and dead psychopath Milton Friedman said that not only is it illegal for a CEO to do anything that negatively impacts their corporation's bottom line but that it's also immoral. IMMORAL! Neo-cons are fucking insane and it's good to see that there are still a few CEOs who are willing to pull back from the madness. A ray of hope in a nightmare of global corporate darkness.

ON EDIT: Lol, Tom's of Maine might have been started by a guy who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, but it was bought in 2006 for 100 million by Colgate-Palmolive. Pretty sure that God's Away on Business now lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
30-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Is this a joke? Not only has the GEMA, as always, blocked german viewers from watching the video, because it contains licensed music, no, even by using a proxy I recieve the message "The video uploader hasn't made this video available in your country".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-06-2012, 09:09 AM
(30-06-2012 07:05 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Tom's of Maine might have been started by a guy who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, but it was bought in 2006 for 100 million by Colgate-Palmolive. Pretty sure that God's Away on Business now lol.

Ha - I'd heard years ago that Tom's was bought out. I wonder if employee relations remained intact there? Be interesting to follow some of these companies when that employee/corporate dynamic is altered because of a buyout or bankruptcy restructuring. I'm sure someone's done that kind of research.

To me, I really don't care all that much about who buys a company as long as they keep the remaining employees and keep the product consistent... if I even use the product. When companies change hands, a lot of things change. Shy

30-06-2012, 07:13 PM
(30-06-2012 07:05 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Vosur.

No. I was just about to say that virtually none of these companies exist in Quebec. Except Curves. An ex girlfriend of mine dropped her membership like a hot potato when she found out they donate money to anti-abortion causes.

I dig companies doing things like closing on Sunday or dropping Chinese sweat shops when it affects the bottom line. Nobel laureate and dead psychopath Milton Friedman said that not only is it illegal for a CEO to do anything that negatively impacts their corporation's bottom line but that it's also immoral. IMMORAL! Neo-cons are fucking insane and it's good to see that there are still a few CEOs who are willing to pull back from the madness. A ray of hope in a nightmare of global corporate darkness.

ON EDIT: Lol, Tom's of Maine might have been started by a guy who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, but it was bought in 2006 for 100 million by Colgate-Palmolive. Pretty sure that God's Away on Business now lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Donate to anti-abortion?
I would think that that would be bad business. You are sort of excluding a lot of people (pro-abortion) by doing that.
Can't these people just donate some money to some staving children in Africa or some cancer charity? It makes more business sense, people can get behind that sort of thing no matter what their background, ethnicity or religious creed.

If I was a shareholder in that company openingly donating to something like abortion or euthanasia or any other of those sensitive issues I'd be fucking pissed.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.