Intensely Religious Corporations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 08:47 PM
RE: Intensely Religious Corporations
I know Chick-fil- a is religious but damn their food is just too good. O well they're just providing a service to an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
(30-06-2012 07:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(30-06-2012 07:05 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Vosur.

No. I was just about to say that virtually none of these companies exist in Quebec. Except Curves. An ex girlfriend of mine dropped her membership like a hot potato when she found out they donate money to anti-abortion causes.

I dig companies doing things like closing on Sunday or dropping Chinese sweat shops when it affects the bottom line. Nobel laureate and dead psychopath Milton Friedman said that not only is it illegal for a CEO to do anything that negatively impacts their corporation's bottom line but that it's also immoral. IMMORAL! Neo-cons are fucking insane and it's good to see that there are still a few CEOs who are willing to pull back from the madness. A ray of hope in a nightmare of global corporate darkness.

ON EDIT: Lol, Tom's of Maine might have been started by a guy who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, but it was bought in 2006 for 100 million by Colgate-Palmolive. Pretty sure that God's Away on Business now lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Donate to anti-abortion?
I would think that that would be bad business. You are sort of excluding a lot of people (pro-abortion) by doing that.
Can't these people just donate some money to some staving children in Africa or some cancer charity? It makes more business sense, people can get behind that sort of thing no matter what their background, ethnicity or religious creed.

If I was a shareholder in that company openingly donating to something like abortion or euthanasia or any other of those sensitive issues I'd be fucking pissed.
I don't think corporations should donate money to any cause, ever. It is stealing from the shareholders.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
(01-07-2012 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think corporations should donate money to any cause, ever. It is stealing from the shareholders.

Possibly. Corporations really aren't all that altruistic - large charitable donations lower their overall tax bracket. It certainly won't offset their bottom line considerably, but charitable contributions are also publicity ... which also doesn't hurt.

I don't know how other shareholders feel about the companies they invest in using their money for charity donations. I know that I know -or at least I've asked my broker- what companies donate where and what percentages are used. I've never really been given much of a straight answer. Honestly, they probably have very little idea for sure -so many companies are subsidiaries of other companies with very conflicting "ideals".
Personally, where "bottom line" is concerned, I think I came to the realization long ago, that you might as well be ready to lose whatever you are willing to invest. If you aren't prepared to walk out with nothing, maybe you needn't walk in.

Anyway... it's only money... right? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user