Intercessory Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Intercessory Prayer
There is a Baptist church a couple of blocks from my home. One of the items they post on their Sunday order of the day is intercessory prayer. Recently, I got to thinking about this. This is dangerous.

I know the argument that states that it is arrogant of humans to presume that a deity would take time out from his/her/its busy day creating and destroying galaxies and such to bother with petty requests, but I wonder if this intercessory prayer is more a plea for assistance from the congregation, whether the people praying want to admit it or not.

Any input?

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 01:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Intercessory Prayer
(17-07-2013 12:31 PM)dclarion Wrote:  There is a Baptist church a couple of blocks from my home. One of the items they post on their Sunday order of the day is intercessory prayer. Recently, I got to thinking about this. This is dangerous.

I know the argument that states that it is arrogant of humans to presume that a deity would take time out from his/her/its busy day creating and destroying galaxies and such to bother with petty requests, but I wonder if this intercessory prayer is more a plea for assistance from the congregation, whether the people praying want to admit it or not.

Any input?

Yes.
Tell them god has a plan, and they need to stop screwing it up with their prayers.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-07-2013, 03:23 PM
(17-07-2013 12:31 PM)dclarion Wrote:  There is a Baptist church a couple of blocks from my home. One of the items they post on their Sunday order of the day is intercessory prayer. Recently, I got to thinking about this. This is dangerous.

Any input?

That is an interesting point. If someone is asking for prayers, it might be best to offer them some actual help instead.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Many Arminian Christians believe that God will change His plan if you pray for it to be changed; even more so if many Christians pray for it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-07-2013, 03:37 PM
(17-07-2013 03:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Many Arminian Christians believe that God will change His plan if you pray for it to be changed; even more so if many Christians pray for it.

But...if god is perfect, wouldn't his plan be perfect from the start?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 03:40 PM
(17-07-2013 03:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Any input?

That is an interesting point. If someone is asking for prayers, it might be best to offer them some actual help instead.

Well duh. But praying is a way to think you are doing something instead of actually doing something. Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 03:40 PM
(17-07-2013 03:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 03:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Many Arminian Christians believe that God will change His plan if you pray for it to be changed; even more so if many Christians pray for it.

But...if god is perfect, wouldn't his plan be perfect from the start?

Preachin' to the choir, mom.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]