Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(06-09-2017 09:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay, this concept of "good v. bad" attachment seems inconsistent with the basic premise of non-attachment.

I think good attachment does not mean it's good to keep it. It just means it's favorable compared to bad attachments. It's not easy for a conditioned mind to drop all its attachments, it would strongly resist, first the attachments are purified through good conduct, then dropped. This seems to be the easier approach as I see it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 03:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-09-2017 09:49 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 09:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay, this concept of "good v. bad" attachment seems inconsistent with the basic premise of non-attachment.

I think good attachment does not mean it's good to keep it. It just means it's favorable compared to bad attachments. It's not easy for a conditioned mind to drop all its attachments, it would strongly resist, first the attachments are purified through good conduct, then dropped. This seems to be the easier approach as I see it.

I see. Probably more prudent than going full retard I AM the Lizard King! on Angel Dust and just pitching the "I' to the curb. .... There's something to be said for the efficiency of chemistry, though. ... One way or the other, I'm going Jesus. We all going Jesus. We all gonna drop ourselves, one way or the other. We all go Eli Eli Lama Sabachtahni! in the end. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-09-2017, 03:03 PM
(06-09-2017 05:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  And here is what science tells us:

Science still has a few decades or even centuries to be counted among religions, as I see it.

But here's how I'd picture the future religion:

Quote:1. "The first law of thermodynamics, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one form to another." (Google)
True, energy will be the notion of unformed : the absolute.

Quote:2. Einstein's equation E=mc2 demonstrates that energy is equivalent with matter.
True, matter will be considered as the manifestation of energy : creation

Quote:3. We are complex arrangements of matter, and when that arrangement changes or falls apart our consciousness (which depends on it) changes or disappears.
True, death will be the return to energy, the absolute : salvation

Quote:4. Therefore, there is no heaven or hell to worry about. Those ideas were based on misunderstandings of the nature of reality.
False, living will be the Hell : damnation

Science would need to find its way of dying before death, I guess. That might be somewhere in neuroscience where the scientific way of quiescence of mind is found, once it's there, it'd need to give us a morality to help us reach it, and it will be done.

I personally prefer to stick to old-school religions and not risk waiting for science.

I think science will mark the end of prophethood (the last instance being Islam). Where the words of God are carried by many, not one. That would be the next stage of our psychological evolution, but we are not quite there yet, I guess...

Just personal speculations, thought might be ridiculously interesting for you.
[+] 2 users Like nosferatu323's post
07-09-2017, 03:11 PM
You're determined to ascribe some mystic meaning to shit Rolleyes

Why should anyone care about these vague absolutes? What do you gain from religion, especially this abstract one you seem to be trying to invent? What's the attraction of all the woo?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
07-09-2017, 03:13 PM
(07-09-2017 03:03 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 05:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  4. Therefore, there is no heaven or hell to worry about. Those ideas were based on misunderstandings of the nature of reality.
False, living forever would will be the Hell : damnation

fixed.

(07-09-2017 03:03 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Just personal speculations, thought might be ridiculously interesting for you.

They are. It's fucking ridiculous, I know. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2017, 03:15 PM
(07-09-2017 03:11 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're determined to ascribe some mystic meaning to shit Rolleyes

Why should anyone care about these vague absolutes? What do you gain from religion, especially this abstract one you seem to be trying to invent? What's the attraction of all the woo?
It's just what I'm doing. I don't want to gain anything, really. Are you here to gain anything?
07-09-2017, 03:17 PM
(07-09-2017 03:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  False, living forever would will be the Hell : damnation
Thanks, is there any next prophet here to fix the rest?
07-09-2017, 03:23 PM
(07-09-2017 03:11 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're determined to ascribe some mystic meaning to shit Rolleyes

My read is they're trying to ground the fundamental abstract principles common to at least the major religions with less abstract, more concretely familiar ideas. I like the approach better than the academic one the NasalKid is trying. It's, well, more approachable. This unique grounding has new ridiculously interesting aspects and implications to it. ... Do we think this is a troll? I don't think this is a troll.

#sigh
07-09-2017, 03:25 PM
(07-09-2017 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

My read is they're trying to ground the fundamental abstract principles common to at least the major religions with less abstract, more concretely familiar ideas. I like the approach better than the academic one the NasalKid is trying. It's, well, more approachable. This unique grounding has new ridiculously interesting aspects and implications to it. ... Do we think this is a troll? I don't think this is a troll.

I don't think troll... I do think mystic. Can't stand mystics Drinking Beverage Bloody posers.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-09-2017, 03:28 PM
(07-09-2017 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't think troll... I do think mystic. Can't stand mystics Drinking Beverage Bloody posers.

That's kinda disappointing. But we can stand you all day, really.