Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2017, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 04:58 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(07-09-2017 04:42 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  There is simply no reason for a religious or mystical overlay to science. They are decidedly unscientific.
Of course they are unscientific. All religions were deemed "unreligious" within the context they were born.

(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  B. Your God (the Absolute so called) comes out of my wall sockets. That should cause you some cognitive dissonance.
My absolute comes out of pretty much everything. Interestingly, everything comes out of it.

Quote:I think the whole commanding self / true self dichotomy is false and dangerous.
That's what makes it interesting.

Quote:D. Get back to me in another 20 years, and let me know if you still think the same.
Of course I won't. I'm just enjoying what I'm right now. Do you think there is a problem about it? Give me a word of wisdom.

Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand what I said? I will spell it out for you point by point.

A. Science has a completely different methodology than mysticism or religion, and arrives at completely different conclusions based on repeatable observations.

B. If your Absolute is energy, it isn't God because God is both conscious and willful. Energy will never hear your prayers. You may as well become a deist and chuck it all rather than wait for God to transform you.

C. Fallen power lines are interesting too, the way they spark and jump around. That is no reason to get close to them. Just the reverse.

D. You are studying something you can never prove is correct. Again, you don't have the methodology to do so. I spent 20 years trying to prove it to myself, and couldn't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
07-09-2017, 05:01 PM
(07-09-2017 04:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand what I said?
Honestly not, I just enjoy conversing with you.

Quote:A. Science has a completely different methodology than mysticism or religion, and arrives at completely different conclusions based on repeatable observations.
All religions have a different methodology, I'd argue.

Quote:B. If your Absolute is energy, it isn't God because God is both conscious and willful. Energy will never hear your prayers. You may as well be a deist and chuck it all rather than wait for God to transform you.
I'm energy, I'm conscious, I'm energy, I'm willful, I'm energy, I hear my prayers.

Quote:C. Fallen power lines are interesting too, the way they spark and jump around. That is no reason to get close to them. Just the reverse.
I'm not sure.

Quote:D. You are studying something you can never prove is correct. Again, you don't have the methodology to do so.
I have, I see, therefore it is.

Hope I'm not bothering you.
07-09-2017, 05:03 PM
(07-09-2017 05:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Hope I'm not bothering you.

Not anymore.

Bye.

Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
07-09-2017, 05:14 PM
(07-09-2017 05:03 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Not anymore.

Bye.

Facepalm

I'm turning 26 in a few days, don't be too hard on me Shy
07-09-2017, 05:18 PM
(07-09-2017 04:02 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 03:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why is that? I'm just going with my gut here.
Is there any diversity without a problem?

Of course. Have you ever actually listened to your gut? I want as much diversity down there as I can get. Fuckers go gang and shit if they ain't checked. There's only a problem when there's a lack of sufficient diversity. Tongue

#sigh
07-09-2017, 05:24 PM
(07-09-2017 05:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I'm energy, I'm conscious, I'm energy, I'm willful, I'm energy, I hear my prayers.

A brick does not a building make.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
07-09-2017, 05:28 PM
(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  A. Science will never be a religion, ...

Science risks becoming a religion and should realize that, I mean them being scientists and shit.

(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  B. Your God (the Absolute so called) comes out of my wall sockets. That should cause you some cognitive dissonance.

Not if dude don't disagree God's in your wall sockets. I don't think dude disagrees.

(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  C. The Sufi doctrine of "dying before your death" depends on a highly questionable assumption about the nature of the self. I think the whole commanding self / true self dichotomy is false and dangerous.

Now you've got Girly's attention Whovian. What is that Sufi assumption about the nature of self you find highly questionable?

(07-09-2017 04:33 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  D. Get back to me in another 20 years, and let me know if you still think the same.

I remember my 95 yo grampa saying something like that to me only it was more like 60 years.

#sigh
07-09-2017, 05:32 PM
(07-09-2017 05:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I'm energy, I'm conscious, I'm energy, I'm willful, I'm energy, I hear my prayers.

Yes? What that mean? I AM. That's what that shit means. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2017, 05:39 PM
(07-09-2017 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There's only a problem when there's a lack of sufficient diversity. Tongue
The damn thing is never sufficient.
07-09-2017, 05:40 PM
(07-09-2017 05:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  A brick does not a building make.
There is no building, just brick, bricks if you prefer.