Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2017, 02:12 AM
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(09-09-2017 12:29 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Do you really think science is not ambiguous and mystical? I don't think so.
What actual science have you ever studied? Not this bullshit half-arsed stuff but the real deal? 'Cos you sound like some clown who'd wire himself to the mains if he ever tried to build a circuit.

Quote:And come on, union is always beautiful, even if it's fake. We have a whole lot of art and literature to prove that!
Whatever, mystic boy. Stay in your pink and fluffy world then Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
09-09-2017, 03:20 AM
(09-09-2017 02:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 12:29 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Do you really think science is not ambiguous and mystical? I don't think so.
What actual science have you ever studied? Not this bullshit half-arsed stuff but the real deal? 'Cos you sound like some clown who'd wire himself to the mains if he ever tried to build a circuit.

Quote:And come on, union is always beautiful, even if it's fake. We have a whole lot of art and literature to prove that!
Whatever, mystic boy. Stay in your pink and fluffy world then Dodgy
I accidentally saw your picture in this post a while back and I cannot resist liking all your posts.

Quote:Cos you sound like some clown who'd wire himself to the mains if he ever tried to build a circuit.
You got me. I was always awful with circuits.
09-09-2017, 02:32 PM
(07-09-2017 05:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  All religions have a different methodology, I'd argue...

Then you'd be wrong. Sorry. The one singular commonality of all so-called religions is an absolute belief in the existence of supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena, although their expression may well be different. But underneath, all religions are based on fabrication, power and fear, willful distortions of truth, plus a suitably selective rebuttal of the scientific method.

—And just like a vacuum cleaner, religion sucks.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
09-09-2017, 06:27 PM
(09-09-2017 02:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 05:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  All religions have a different methodology, I'd argue...

Then you'd be wrong. Sorry. The one singular commonality of all so-called religions is an absolute belief in the existence of supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena, although their expression may well be different. But underneath, all religions are based on fabrication, power and fear, willful distortions of truth, plus a suitably selective rebuttal of the scientific method.

Dodgy
You seem very certain about your assertions. I envy your faith. Are you truly so certain about what you say, or it's just how it looks?
09-09-2017, 06:50 PM
It's not so much an assertion but the factor of what actually defines a religion.

They're all a systematic collection of beliefs and claims about a deity. They all follow the pathway.

You want to talk about unreligious, what's unreligious is not claiming to know the answers. But religions don't go there, even the all encompassing types such as Ba'hai is a victim of itself.

But there's no grand one true science, there are tested and updated or thrown out various theories or hypothesises with a unfixed narrative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-09-2017, 09:00 PM
(09-09-2017 06:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  what's unreligious is not claiming to know the answers
As I see it, science clearly claims to know the answer, as I mentioned before, here is a list of unfalsifiable claims of science for answering the fundamental questions and a comparison with religions:

1. There is a reality : the deity
2. There is something to understand about reality : aspects or attributes of the said deity
3. Reason is reliable for understanding about reality : religions usually involve both heart and reason, science chooses reason to go with, which enables it to utilize the scientific method
4. The reality is consistent : oneness of the said deity
5. The perceived reality is reliable for making judgements about the reality itself : the said deity is connected to his creation, so they can know him, most religions, not all
6. Mathematical models combined with the scientific method is the way to describe the reality : unique pathway of each religion to its notion of truth
7. There is energy, there is force, there is mass, ... : the known attributes of the deity, here's how Islam has approached it

Quote:But there's no grand one true science, there are tested and updated or thrown out various theories or hypothesises with a unfixed narrative.
I think science has a set of unfalsifiable assumptions (above) as a basis for finding the facts. The facts are constantly changing and dynamic.

Similarly, I think religions have a set of assumption for the foundation of their portrayed reality, they provide the means for the devotee to pave the path of knowing the portrayed reality, e.g. knowing the attributes of a deity. Methodology is different in each religion. Science also has its own methodology.

This is how I see it.
09-09-2017, 10:30 PM
(09-09-2017 06:27 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 02:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Then you'd be wrong. Sorry. The one singular commonality of all so-called religions is an absolute belief in the existence of supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena, although their expression may well be different. But underneath, all religions are based on fabrication, power and fear, willful distortions of truth, plus a suitably selective rebuttal of the scientific method.

Dodgy
You seem very certain about your assertions. I envy your faith. Are you truly so certain about what you say, or it's just how it looks?

Considering you have contributed very little other than assertions in this thread what have you to envy?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
(09-09-2017 10:30 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 06:27 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  You seem very certain about your assertions. I envy your faith. Are you truly so certain about what you say, or it's just how it looks?

Considering you have contributed very little other than assertions in this thread what have you to envy?

I'm not really getting the point of whatever he or she is contributing. Little touch of guru syndrome, if you ask me.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
09-09-2017, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 11:27 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(09-09-2017 09:00 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Methodology is different in each religion. Science also has its own methodology.

This is how I see it.

The problem you are failing to see though is that one methodology, science, produces accurate, demonstrable, testable, falsifiable evidence that MUST survive review by a set of peers actively looking to prove it false. Religion on the other hand does not.
The scientific method is the only method in history to consistently deliver accurate and demonstrable information and evidence. The only one.

Also for it to be a methodology the methodology has to be demonstrably accurate and you have to show HOW and WHY the methodology works, you have to show the moving parts as it were. Assertions, even ones that you can kinda make sound sensible after the fact, are not a "methodology".

Don't get me wrong I get it, methodology is a science-y word and you think by applying it to religion you can give that tired old institution an air of respectability it doesn't deserve and has not earned in the way the scientific method does and has. You're not the first person to play this particular word game, I doubt you will be the last.

Tell me what's the religious version of the double blind study? Of control groups? Of peer review maybe? All the individual parts of the Scientific methodology that on their own merits can be shown to be accurate and demonstrably so? How many diseases has the religious methodology cured compared to the scientific ones? How many great advancements in the standard of living has the religious methodology given us?
Can you point to anything the religious methodology has given us that is exclusive to it and demonstrable and testable? Anything at all.

Science works, it does exactly what it claims to do and it does it in such a way as to be demonstrable. Religion often gives us the exact opposite of what it claims or nothing at all.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
(08-09-2017 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 06:23 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Energy is not "more observable" than God, I think. It's observable, but unseen, just like God.

I have to say I think that's right. Demonstrably right even.

Lightning.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post