Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(01-09-2017 04:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 01:59 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I think your argument holds if we presume there is actually a problem. Considering that Judo-Christian religions emphasis on the unreality of this world and its pain and pleasure, I think it's reasonable to assume that the flood is not a real problem within the context of Judo-Christian religions.

If one loses his family in a seemingly real dream, he might be grateful about the bad dream after waking up, no matter how bad it was, it has made him realize how important his family is for him.

So I think intercessory prayer within Judo-Christian religions can be understood as a means of helping believers to surrender, yet the threat is not real, it's merely a show to help them grow in terms of surrendering to their God.

Dodgy

That term is like nails down a chalk board to me.

I can see how Judeo-Christian could do that, but Judo-Christian?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 05:07 PM
(01-09-2017 01:59 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  Judo-Christian

Dodgy

Hapkido Hindu does sound better Tongue

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
01-09-2017, 05:10 PM
(01-09-2017 01:59 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I think your argument holds if we presume there is actually a problem. Considering that Judo-Christian religions emphasis on the unreality of this world and its pain and pleasure, I think it's reasonable to assume that the flood is not a real problem within the context of Judo-Christian religions.

If one loses his family in a seemingly real dream, he might be grateful about the bad dream after waking up, no matter how bad it was, it has made him realize how important his family is for him.

So I think intercessory prayer within Judo-Christian religions can be understood as a means of helping believers to surrender, yet the threat is not real, it's merely a show to help them grow in terms of surrendering to their God.

Dodgy

Aliza, I don’t see why you would be so against Judo, it’s great for self defense, especially against a proselytizing Christian. Angel

[Image: 304a37106ac0c802627f84bd02257a9b.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
01-09-2017, 05:17 PM
(01-09-2017 05:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 04:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Dodgy

Aliza, I don’t see why you would be so against Judo, it’s great for self defense, especially against a proselytizing Christian. Angel

[Image: 304a37106ac0c802627f84bd02257a9b.jpg]

I'm proficient in Jew Jitsu for that very reason.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
01-09-2017, 07:38 PM
(01-09-2017 02:20 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I think most Christians recognize that these disasters look bad and it does actually bother them at some level that God allows them to occur, but they then excuse it all by assuming there is a rationale reason within God's plan and someday in heaven they will understand.

True, I'm expressing my understanding about that rational reason based on their holy book: there is no actual disaster.

Most Christians find it difficult to believe this world is not real and hereafter is the reality according to their own beliefs, but that doesn't mean it's not supported by their religion.
01-09-2017, 07:52 PM
(01-09-2017 02:29 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, the true reason for prayer is when God mercy-kills someone and they get to experience reality?

I think death is certainly a bliss for a true believer within the context of Judeo-Christian religions, yet the devotee is content about being alive, since he knows this life is a passage to help him get to his God.

Quote:Also, given your view, why do Christians feel suicide is a sin?

I think because suicide is the ultimate ingratitude towards the great gift of life, which is the means for a believer to strive towards his God within the context of Judeo-Christian religions.
01-09-2017, 07:57 PM
At work.

Consider

I must admit, the whole "You have to 'Live' this life/existance for god/diety as some weird kind of validation expressly for a deity which (It is said) already knows the outcome always puzzled me.....

Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
01-09-2017, 08:01 PM
(01-09-2017 04:22 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Your God concept is not worthy of worship. This attempt at apologetics is reality-denying in the worst sense, because it dehumanizes people by belittling their very real suffering.

There is no honor or honesty in "surrendering" to an evil God.

You are assuming the suffering is real, yet, as I said, this world is described as unreal in Judeo-Christian religions as I understand them. I think if you want to make a valid judgement about whether the Judeo-Christian God is evil or not, you should make your judgement within the context of those religions.

You are not accepting their premise that this world is unreal, yet you are making a judgement about their God concept being evil, that's inconsistent, I think.
01-09-2017, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 08:16 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(01-09-2017 08:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 04:22 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Your God concept is not worthy of worship. This attempt at apologetics is reality-denying in the worst sense, because it dehumanizes people by belittling their very real suffering.

You are assuming the suffering is real, yet, as I said, this world is described as unreal in Judeo-Christian religions as I understand them. I think if you want to make a valid judgement about whether the Judeo-Christian God is evil or not, you should make your judgement within the context of those religions.

You are not accepting their premise that this world is unreal, yet you are making a judgement about their God concept being evil, that's inconsistent, I think.

I am making the judgment that their God concept is evil exactly because they say the actual world is unreal and their imaginary world is the real one -- if in fact that is what they are saying at all.

I personally think the idea is really just your apologetics, which you are projecting on Jews and Christians, to try to rationalize a God concept which wasn't properly thought through to begin with. I would very much like to see you try to justify it by referencing the verses you think support it. The Bible may say God and the next life are more important than this world, but where does it say this world is unreal?
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-09-2017, 08:29 PM
(01-09-2017 08:01 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote: