Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2017, 02:45 AM
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(02-09-2017 02:19 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  If you tell me you accept that "The self is one", I will accept all that you said.
*All that you say

I think I'd have to go with Freud and the self as three - id, ego, superego. Makes the most sense to me if I had to reduce to its simplest bare bones. Or if you want to get more flowery, in a dead flower sorta way, -

Birth, and copulation, and death.
That’s all the facts when you come to brass tacks:
Birth, and copulation, and death. - TSE

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2017, 02:58 AM
(02-09-2017 02:00 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  "…I cast out devils by the Spirit of God…." [Mathew 12:28]

"…I with the finger of God cast out devils…." [Luke 11:20]

Neither of those support your point, in fact they diminish it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-09-2017, 12:12 PM
(02-09-2017 01:34 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I learned about all religions as much as I could and saw very similar patterns in major religions, I assumed if there is any truth in religions, the common patterns must be genuine and uncommon patterns must be fabrications.

And this assumption was based on .....what exactly? Literary fiction, be it fantasy or science-fiction, or what have you, has all kinds of similar patterns. It doesn't make them not a work of fiction because they have similarities.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
02-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Dude, it cannot be...

I mean the point of prayer cannot be intercession. Cannot be. As a prophet I envisioned, firstly, can of cold pepsi on demand. And what would happen? If you are confused, you "know" no god.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2017, 02:08 PM
(02-09-2017 12:45 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I admit that I cannot resolve that inconsistency within Christianity at the moment.

Blame Constantine. He lost his temper and the Xians hurried through the meeting in order avoid execution. No wonder it's such a mess.

People have been dying for their cowardice ever since.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
02-09-2017, 03:02 PM
(01-09-2017 09:57 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I thought you mean my mis-spelling. Why do you think that term is inappropriate? What about "Abrahamic Religions"?

You seem to be talking about Christianity, but you're calling it Judeo-Christian. That term was originally used to describe a cultural and moral similarity between Jews and Christians to ease social tension and bring people together. It was not intended to describe a theological similarity, and there happens to be very little similarity between Judaism and Christianity. Unless you're describing a shared moral code (not murdering people, not stealing, etc), the term "Judeo-Christian" is definitely inappropriate.

However, the term Judeo-Christian is outdated and should be replaced with (as you suggested) "Abrahamic religions" when describing a shared moral code. Again, the the purpose of the term was to bring people together. Muslims are living in the west as well, so the term Judeo-Christian can be seen as deliberately leaving Muslims out of the mix, suggesting that they're part of an out-group. "Abrahamic religions" is more appropriate.

Islam, Christianity and Judaism have some theology in common, but there is probably less in common than what is in common. Unless you know you're describing theology shared by all three religions, you should just name the religions independently rather than draw broad assumptions that can be seen as offensive.

For describing theology, you can tell that the term "Judeo-Christian" is inappropriate because only one party uses it. As a Jew, I'm saying that we see very little in common with Christianity theologically and many Jews don't like the term Judeo-Christian because it marginalizes us and erases the differences we're so proud of. When you say "Judeo-Christian," you're basically just saying we're the same as Christians, just without Jesus, or that Christians are Jews with Jesus.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
04-09-2017, 08:08 AM
(02-09-2017 12:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 01:34 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I learned about all religions as much as I could and saw very similar patterns in major religions, I assumed if there is any truth in religions, the common patterns must be genuine and uncommon patterns must be fabrications.

And this assumption was based on .....what exactly? Literary fiction, be it fantasy or science-fiction, or what have you, has all kinds of similar patterns. It doesn't make them not a work of fiction because they have similarities.

I didn't mean the common patterns mean there is any truth in religious sources.

You asked about how inconsistencies can be sorted, I explained that I resolve the inconsistencies that I encounter in religious sources by comparing various sources and omitting the uncommon patterns as fabrications, what remains, the commonality between all major religions that I have studied, is consistent, as I see it.
04-09-2017, 08:29 AM
(04-09-2017 08:08 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 12:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  And this assumption was based on .....what exactly? Literary fiction, be it fantasy or science-fiction, or what have you, has all kinds of similar patterns. It doesn't make them not a work of fiction because they have similarities.

I didn't mean the common patterns mean there is any truth in religious sources.

You asked about how inconsistencies can be sorted, I explained that I resolve the inconsistencies that I encounter in religious sources by comparing various sources and omitting the uncommon patterns as fabrications, what remains, the commonality between all major religions that I have studied, is consistent, as I see it.

And what insights have you gained by this process? What is the so-great consistency that you have uncovered? Bearing in mind that you aren't claiming you have found truth, what was the value of this exercise?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-09-2017, 08:42 AM
(04-09-2017 08:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 08:08 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I didn't mean the common patterns mean there is any truth in religious sources.

And what insights have you gained by this process? What is the so-great consistency that you have uncovered? Bearing in mind that you aren't claiming you have found truth, what was the value of this exercise?

Pattern recognition... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-09-2017, 09:04 AM
(04-09-2017 08:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  And what insights have you gained by this process? What is the so-great consistency that you have uncovered? Bearing in mind that you aren't claiming you have found truth, what was the value of this exercise?

I stopped looking for truth. That's how I'd describe the outcome of this exercise.