Intercessory prayer is pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: Intercessory prayer is pointless
(04-09-2017 09:04 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 08:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  And what insights have you gained by this process? What is the so-great consistency that you have uncovered? Bearing in mind that you aren't claiming you have found truth, what was the value of this exercise?

I stopped looking for truth. That's how I'd describe the outcome of this exercise.

You've carried out this exercise of comparing all religions (or at least the ones you have knowledge of)... in search of truth? And you haven't found it? So... now what?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-09-2017, 09:40 AM
(04-09-2017 09:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  You've carried out this exercise of comparing all religions (or at least the ones you have knowledge of)... in search of truth? And you haven't found it? So... now what?

Yes it was a search of truth. I wouldn't say I didn't find it, because that would imply there could potentially be a truth that could be found by some sort of endeavor. I realized the search is meaningless. The realization was valuable for me.
04-09-2017, 09:49 AM
(04-09-2017 09:40 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 09:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  You've carried out this exercise of comparing all religions (or at least the ones you have knowledge of)... in search of truth? And you haven't found it? So... now what?

Yes it was a search of truth. I wouldn't say I didn't find it, because that would imply there could potentially be a truth that could be found by some sort of endeavor. I realized the search is meaningless. The realization was valuable for me.

Do you mean that all search for truth is meaningless, or that that particular search was meaningless?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-09-2017, 10:09 AM
(04-09-2017 09:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  Do you mean that all search for truth is meaningless, or that that particular search was meaningless?

I mean the whole notion of "search of truth" lost its meaning for me. I'm not inclined to generalize my point and assert that "all search of truth is meaningless". It just lost its meaning for me.
[+] 1 user Likes nosferatu323's post
04-09-2017, 10:12 AM
(04-09-2017 10:09 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 09:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  Do you mean that all search for truth is meaningless, or that that particular search was meaningless?

I mean the whole notion of "search of truth" lost its meaning for me. I'm not inclined to generalize my point and assert that "all search of truth is meaningless". It just lost its meaning for me.

A better way to frame it is as a search for the facts. Truths are built from facts.
04-09-2017, 11:50 AM
(04-09-2017 10:12 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 10:09 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  I mean the whole notion of "search of truth" lost its meaning for me. I'm not inclined to generalize my point and assert that "all search of truth is meaningless". It just lost its meaning for me.

A better way to frame it is as a search for the facts. Truths are built from facts.

Pseudo-truths are built from facts, yeah. Otherwise "facts" have nothing to do with the truth.
04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
(04-09-2017 11:50 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 10:12 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  A better way to frame it is as a search for the facts. Truths are built from facts.

Pseudo-truths are built from facts, yeah. Otherwise "facts" have nothing to do with the truth.

Do you know what a "pseudo-truth" is?

1. A lie
2. a half truth (aka a lie)
3. An error
4. Incorrect
5. Not factual or "truthful"

Pick one or more from the list above.

Facts are pretty much all there is. Even your emotions are a fact lol, not the best fact with which to derive a decision from, but you do feel, your feelings are real. That doesn't make them correct, right, or "Truth" it's just how you feel. Facts are verifiable and demonstrable, they are a good foundation with which to get an accurate view of the world, and by extension to make reasonable decisions from.

The "truth" you look for is simply a clusterfuck of personal biases and blind emotional ties to ideas you personally really like cause if you don't think too much (because you're pretty fucking stupid and can't think too much) they make sense to you. However it's at best a surface level understanding that misses a lot of nuance and dare I say it FACTS. In other words it's just you being willfully ignorant. Which is exactly what you would do because you are stupid. When you accept that fact we can move onto more productive conversations.

And what the fuck? Facts have nothing to do with the "truth"..... Truth is a layman's term as a half asses attempt to stand in for facts. "Truth" is a stupid concept. There is only factually accurate data or information and logically derived conclusions from that data.

So would an accurate summery of your position be, "The truth is whatever I want it to be because it makes me feel good and I like it." Because that's not truth, that's a fictional delusion. Fucking idiot.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
(04-09-2017 12:22 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 11:50 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Pseudo-truths are built from facts, yeah. Otherwise "facts" have nothing to do with the truth.

Do you know what a "pseudo-truth" is?

1. A lie
3. An error
4. Incorrect

Facts are pretty much all there is. Even your emotions are a fact lol, not the best fact with which to derive a decision from, but you do feel, your feelings are real. That doesn't make them correct, right, or "Truth" it's just how you feel. Facts are verifiable and demonstrable, they are a good foundation with which to get an accurate view of the world, and by extension to make reasonable decisions from.

The "truth" you look for is simply a clusterfuck of personal biases and blind emotional ties to ideas you personally really like cause if you don't think too much (because you're pretty fucking stupid and can't think too much) they make sense to you. However it's at best a surface level understanding that misses a lot of nuance and dare I say it FACTS. In other words it's just you being willfully ignorant. Which is exactly what you would do because you are stupid. When you accept that fact we can move onto more productive conversations.

And what the fuck? Facts have nothing to do with the "truth"..... Truth is a layman's term as a half asses attempt to stand in for facts. "Truth" is a stupid concept. There is only factually accurate data or information and logically derived conclusions from that data.

So would an accurate summery of your position be, "The truth is whatever I want it to be because it makes me feel good and I like it." Because that's not truth, that's a fictional delusion. Fucking idiot.

You really have no idea how wrong you are, do you?
04-09-2017, 02:28 PM
(04-09-2017 01:02 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 12:22 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Do you know what a "pseudo-truth" is?

1. A lie
3. An error
4. Incorrect

You really have no idea how wrong you are, do you?

[Image: Banhammer.gif.cf.gif]

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
04-09-2017, 06:30 PM
(04-09-2017 08:08 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 12:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  And this assumption was based on .....what exactly? Literary fiction, be it fantasy or science-fiction, or what have you, has all kinds of similar patterns. It doesn't make them not a work of fiction because they have similarities.

I didn't mean the common patterns mean there is any truth in religious sources.

You asked about how inconsistencies can be sorted, I explained that I resolve the inconsistencies that I encounter in religious sources by comparing various sources and omitting the uncommon patterns as fabrications, what remains, the commonality between all major religions that I have studied, is consistent, as I see it.

Again...based on what? You have no basis for concluding that uncommon patterns are fabrications and consistent patterns are not. That's not how we determine accuracy or truth.

That resolves NOTHING, you are arbitrarily rejecting things with no clear basis for doing so.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post