Interesting. Fries with what ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2014, 07:07 PM
RE: Interesting. Fries with what ?
The correct term as I understand it is, "you want some fries with that shake?".

To be said to a female with a nice ass as she walks by. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2014, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 01:48 AM by Mathilda.)
Never heard it before. It must be an Americanism that hasn't yet crossed the pond. I've only been to America once but it was staggering just how many fast food places there were everywhere.
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
(07-06-2014 01:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Never heard it before. It must be an Americanism that hasn't yet crossed the pond. I've only been to America once but it was staggering just how many fast food places there were everywhere.

Still are, and nearly as many churches. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-06-2014, 05:51 AM
(07-06-2014 05:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 01:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Never heard it before. It must be an Americanism that hasn't yet crossed the pond. I've only been to America once but it was staggering just how many fast food places there were everywhere.

Still are, and nearly as many churches. Blink

More actually.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-06-2014, 07:42 AM
OK, so the normal use of that term is not at home. It's in a fast food restaurant. You go up to the counter and order a hamburger. The cashier says "you want fries with that?". It's a way of increasing sales and in some places is a mandatory question for the cashier to ask.

In broader culture the association with fast food and low paid jobs sticks. So say someone is studying for and art history degree. Someone might say "you want fries with that?" as a way of being insulting and suggesting the person will never get a job worthy of the time they invested in education.

So it can be about just asking the question about whether you want French fries with your meal. It can also be a general placeholder for something extra you add on. Or it can be a phrase specifically meant to imply work in the service industry or a job not worth your educational investment.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM

which is why over 55% of americans are clinicaly overweight/obese...if it isnt fried and covered in butter it isn't worth eating *gag* No

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
(07-06-2014 07:42 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  OK, so the normal use of that term is not at home. It's in a fast food restaurant. You go up to the counter and order a hamburger. The cashier says "you want fries with that?". It's a way of increasing sales and in some places is a mandatory question for the cashier to ask.

In broader culture the association with fast food and low paid jobs sticks. So say someone is studying for and art history degree. Someone might say "you want fries with that?" as a way of being insulting and suggesting the person will never get a job worthy of the time they invested in education.

So it can be about just asking the question about whether you want French fries with your meal. It can also be a general placeholder for something extra you add on. Or it can be a phrase specifically meant to imply work in the service industry or a job not worth your educational investment.

^^^ Yes!

Unless you are actually standing in line ordering fast food, its meant sarcastically.

kinda like that saying about 'do you want some cheese to go with that whine?' (play on the word whine/wine)

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post