Interesting Perspective On Climate Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Interesting Perspective On Climate Change
So there's a lot of argument over whether or not we should be more proactive in battling climate change. I agree. I see no reason why we should be wasteful, regardless the consequences. But how much logical thought has been put into the problem? Not much, I would argue.

Heat waves due to climate change have killed a lot of people in the past few years and that's a bad thing. However, winter death tolls are far higher in areas with harsh winters... even thought he winters are becoming less so. Why is that? Well, if you can't afford to heat your home due to the ever increasing costs of fuel, you die.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderh...about.html

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: Interesting Perspective On Climate Change
(02-04-2013 11:32 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  So there's a lot of argument over whether or not we should be more proactive in battling climate change. I agree. I see no reason why we should be wasteful, regardless the consequences. But how much logical thought has been put into the problem? Not much, I would argue.

Heat waves due to climate change have killed a lot of people in the past few years and that's a bad thing. However, winter death tolls are far higher in areas with harsh winters... even thought he winters are becoming less so. Why is that? Well, if you can't afford to heat your home due to the ever increasing costs of fuel, you die.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderh...about.html

No, the lack of logical thought has been in the reporting of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Interesting.

Global warming: flooded coastal areas, less food production and more desert in the tropical zone. more food production in the temperate zone.

Ice age: a colder frigid zone. less food production in the temperate zone. more food production and less desert in the tropical zone.

Choose one theory to believe in.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
The problem I see with the article is that he seems to have missed the real reason why fuel prices are high. He blames the government. It is partially due to taxes, but overwhelmingly due to skyrocketing demand and market speculation.

Why does gasoline go from $1.16/litre to $1.35/litre, back and forth constantly? Are the taxes changing every day? No! What changed? Hurricane affecting oil supply. War affecting OPEC state. Oil spill. Unusually cold winter. Market speculation is what makes commodity prices soar.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
(02-04-2013 05:05 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The problem I see with the article is that he seems to have missed the real reason why fuel prices are high. He blames the government. It is partially due to taxes, but overwhelmingly due to skyrocketing demand and market speculation.

Why does gasoline go from $1.16/litre to $1.35/litre, back and forth constantly? Are the taxes changing every day? No! What changed? Hurricane affecting oil supply. War affecting OPEC state. Oil spill. Unusually cold winter. Market speculation is what makes commodity prices soar.

Speculators react to market signals.... which is what every business owner should always do in order to stay in business. When the president makes an announcement that taxes on oil may rise, the market responds and that changes the price of crude oil. If the president announces that he will ban offshore drilling in one month, the market responds and prices change. When the president announces he is going to war, the market responds and prices change. In short, every time the government says anything about taxes, regulations or war, the market responds and the prices change. Government affects the market price of almost all commodities very much more than cold winters and hurricanes and, they do it all year round.
But you're right, taxes are only a part of the issue.

As for speculators, in an unmolested market, they actually smooth out the price of commodities because they buy surpluses when the price is low and sell them for a profit when demand comes close to surpassing supply. If it weren't for speculators, it wouldn't only be prices that went on a roller coaster ride.... supply would also be highly unstable.

If you don't like the way speculators are acting in the markets of today, thank the government for offering them free insurance at your expense.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
03-04-2013, 04:46 AM
(02-04-2013 12:16 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Global warming: flooded coastal areas, less food production and more desert in the tropical zone. more food production in the temperate zone.

Ice age: a colder frigid zone. less food production in the temperate zone. more food production and less desert in the tropical zone.

I'm not aware of any scientists working in the field who claim there is an ice age coming. There are those that say we are due for one, but are actually heading in the other direction due to human emissions however.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-04-2013, 06:17 AM
(03-04-2013 04:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 12:16 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Global warming: flooded coastal areas, less food production and more desert in the tropical zone. more food production in the temperate zone.

I'm not aware of any scientists working in the field who claim there is an ice age coming. There are those that say we are due for one, but are actually heading in the other direction due to human emissions however.

Not ice age exactly. But global warming may cause a sudden severe drop of temperature.

Film: 'the day after tomorrow' (2004)

Science: W. H. Calvin of the University of Washington and W. Broecker of Columbia University proposed a theory that the greenhouse effect may cause a very rapid global cooling.

Want something? Then do something.
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
An interesting TED talk. Of course I like Genes article, but the part that I'd like your input on is the talk at the top of the page:
http://thecontraryfarmer.wordpress.com/2...ng-debate/

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-04-2013, 06:54 PM
(10-04-2013 09:03 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  An interesting TED talk. Of course I like Genes article, but the part that I'd like your input on is the talk at the top of the page:
http://thecontraryfarmer.wordpress.com/2...ng-debate/

I have to say I strongly disagree with his assertion that desertification has caused human violence and poverty. Other than that, I find his evidence and his explanation very compelling. His calm demeanor and presentation, as opposed to the typical global warming alarmist was refreshing too, although that lends no scientific credibility to his thesis.

Now, what we need to do is stop the federal government from paying out subsidies to ranches (well, everyone, but that's fodder for another thread) and have them sell all of the government owned desert land to people who will use it.