Interesting conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Interesting conversation
So last night, my wife asked why my 7 YO son said that god has killed kids. I remember that conversation with him and I showed him a couple of passages (like the she-bear attack) to show him that I was not making it up. Anyway, she asks why I would say that and my response was essentially, "Well , it's in there, I'm not making it up." She then said, "well, I don't know, you need to talk to (a friend of ours) about this", to which I replied that it is more important that SHE asks about it because as far as I am concerned under NO circumstances do I see how mass murder is justified. I remember how repulsed I was when W.L. Craig said that the children the Israelites killed received an infinite GOOD by being killed. Actually justifying the mass killings of people much less CHILDREN. (Apparently Steve Harvey says that I have no morals though so I am not sure why I am disgusted by Craig's comments) She actually had no idea about any of this stuff (which is actually not really shocking to me).

My concern is about my kids, my with an I will be fine, we have a great relationship. It is the first time something like this has occurred but I guess I knew it was an inevitability. Is it harmful for me to be honest about this when they will say things to her like this? I don't want to lie to them and say that it is all pink unicorns and floating pasta, but I really don't want them to upset her either. Any thoughts or experiences?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
08-01-2015, 12:38 PM
RE: Interesting conversation
Well, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about it and am still ending up in a goddamn divorce despite trying to play nice about religion. Maybe I should press harder now, since it's a lost cause. Kinda depends on how much your spouse can handle - mine couldn't handle a damn thing.

I'm a little bitter right now...

I'm just trying to teach my 6 year old to question everything and think.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
08-01-2015, 01:56 PM
(08-01-2015 12:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Well, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about it and am still ending up in a goddamn divorce despite trying to play nice about religion. Maybe I should press harder now, since it's a lost cause. Kinda depends on how much your spouse can handle - mine couldn't handle a damn thing.

I'm a little bitter right now...

I'm just trying to teach my 6 year old to question everything and think.

But was the main reason religion in your case? Just to clarify, I know you have posted about this for a while but it is probably quicker to ask instead of combing the threads.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
08-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I'll be Polly Anna Positive for a minute and suggest that maybe she just doesn't think a conversation like that was age appropriate no matter if it's in the bible or not. What kind of conversations have their been about death and/or killing? That in itself is a hard conversation so it could be she would have liked a warning that this topic would come up.
[+] 2 users Like Whimsymum's post
08-01-2015, 02:07 PM
(08-01-2015 12:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm a little bitter right now...
Sorry to hear abut your divorce, that must suck.

(08-01-2015 12:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm just trying to teach my 6 year old to question everything and think.
I've convinced my kid (just turned 6) that magic isn't real. Now whenever she watches a tv show and they have magic, she tells me that they aren't real.

But I still fool her with the tooth fairy and santa.

She said to me if magic isn't real then the tooth fairy isn't real.
Then I asked her, how come mummy's tooth under her pillow became a 50 cent coin. She then said that OK, only the tooth fairy has magic. She has also since reasoned that Santa is also an exception.
One day she will find out that the tooth fairy and santa don't exist. She will reason that there is no exception to the Magic doesn't exist rule.
I'd love to see her reaction when someone tries to tell her about Jesus walking on water or raising from the dead.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
08-01-2015, 02:12 PM
(08-01-2015 12:02 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Is it harmful for me to be honest about this when they will say things to her like this? I don't want to lie to them and say that it is all pink unicorns and floating pasta, but I really don't want them to upset her either. Any thoughts or experiences?
You have an equal share in the upbringing of your kids.
You are pointing to facts, getting them to think for themselves.
Your wife can try and explain to them why a loving and just god kills children for calling an adult some names, or kills egyptian first borns or floods the world and kills millions of people, babies included as well as all the puppies, kittens, baby elephants, baby tigers, lambs etc.
08-01-2015, 02:14 PM
(08-01-2015 01:57 PM)Whimsymum Wrote:  What kind of conversations have their been about death and/or killing? That in itself is a hard conversation so it could be she would have liked a warning that this topic would come up.
When I discussed death to my 5 year old (at the time) we looked at a dead insect, poked it an prodded it and concluded that it's not going to wake up.
08-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Dead bug vs. dead people... kids get the dead part, it's the part where a kid could be dead thats difficult. At some point they're going to relate that to themselves.
08-01-2015, 09:32 PM
(08-01-2015 01:56 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  But was the main reason religion in your case? Just to clarify, I know you have posted about this for a while but it is probably quicker to ask instead of combing the threads.

Consider Certainly amplified things when I deconverted. I don't think we would be getting divorced if I were still a Christian. I think that's when he gave up on fighting for us. Hard to be objective right now.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-01-2015, 10:05 PM
(08-01-2015 09:26 PM)Whimsymum Wrote:  Dead bug vs. dead people... kids get the dead part, it's the part where a kid could be dead thats difficult. At some point they're going to relate that to themselves.
Does something different happen to people as opposed to bugs when they die?