Interesting piece on living in a 'post-christian" america

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 07:03 AM
RE: Interesting piece on living in a 'post-christian" america
Couple of thoughts I had while reading this.

1) I am going to look into this but I am pretty sure that the same comments were made after the 13th ammendment was ratified. At least after the Emancipatuon Proclamation I am sure.
2) Why is it that xtians always think that they are beibg persrcuted for crappy, unfair doctrine? If their opinions are the minority, well than good.
3) If the Benedict option will keep their iron age ideals out of politics, than I am all for that.
4) If David Savage wants to change monogomy laws, so what? That does not mean that everyone wants more spouses. He also does not speak for all people anymore than David Silverman speaks for any of us.
5) To equate gays as a race is hardly what they did IMO. There was a movement that was mainly religious to deprive someone of a basic right. Not sure how that makes a white gay guy a different race.
6) Boo hoo. Now STFU and keep it in your church. For far too long the religious right has been the only ones talking.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-06-2015, 07:09 AM
(30-06-2015 07:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Couple of thoughts I had while reading this.

1) I am going to look into this but I am pretty sure that the same comments were made after the 13th ammendment was ratified. At least after the Emancipatuon Proclamation I am sure.
2) Why is it that xtians always think that they are beibg persrcuted for crappy, unfair doctrine? If their opinions are the minority, well than good.
3) If the Benedict option will keep their iron age ideals out of politics, than I am all for that.
4) If David Savage wants to change monogomy laws, so what? That does not mean that everyone wants more spouses. He also does not speak for all people anymore than David Silverman speaks for any of us.
5) To equate gays as a race is hardly what they did IMO. There was a movement that was mainly religious to deprive someone of a basic right. Not sure how that makes a white gay guy a different race.
6) Boo hoo. Now STFU and keep it in your church. For far too long the religious right has been the only ones talking.

2. Maybe because they had their way for so long that now everything that not fit with their beliefs looks like persecution to them. Also it could be helpful for group coherence - mentality of besieged fortress.

4. So what? It would further "degrade" god given idea of marriage. It's reason enough for them I think.

6. Exactly.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-06-2015, 07:29 AM
(30-06-2015 07:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  2. Maybe because they had their way for so long that now everything that not fit with their beliefs looks like persecution to them. Also it could be helpful for group coherence - mentality of besieged fortress.

Exactly. Persecution to them means not getting to have all the pieces of all the pies all of the time.
30-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Alito warns that Obergefell “will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy,” and will be used to oppress the faithful “by those who are determined to stamp out every vestige of dissent.”

These comments make me grin - "oppress the faithful" and "stamp out dissent". Like the religious have not made it their life-long goal to oppress the unfaithful, and to stamp out any dissent towards their particular faith of choice. These people have to get a freaking grip and stop crying "end of the world" just because it is now OK to share your life with someone of the same sex, and obtain the benefits of all married couples. NO - so it is not your delusional hatred and judgement that is a bane on this world, but it is what people define as a loving partner in life. Christian nation my A$$.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post