Interesting take on Atheism and what it misses about those who believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 05:45 AM
RE: Interesting take on Atheism and what it misses about those who believe
He's another one of those "Don't you wish you were ME, because I'm buddies with GAWD??" types.

Fucking delusional asshat is what he is.

..!./

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 06:01 AM
To the OP, blasphemy and cussing only makes one blunt, not arrogant or wrong. My PC friends on the left have no fucking clue, and I AM A LIBERAL myself, that YOU not Bll, not Dawkins not Harris, BUT YOU and your ignorant good intent is what enables the violent fucks.

"Arrogant" is denying science in favor of old bronze age books. "Arrogant" is thinking any of us are the center of the planet or the universe.

There was no religion 200,000 years ago much less 4 billion years ago. And after our species goes extinct there will be no record of our species or the fictional sky heros humans invent.

NO sorry, while I love my friends on the left, both socially and economically, they are the ones coddling the insecurities of religion. If you rightfully hate religious bigotry, and attacks on science, YOU ARE NOT helping humanity by insisting on political correctness.

You do not help women like Malala who is still in Islam and former Muslims like Ayaan Hirsi Ali who still has to live her life in fear of death. Instead of getting angry at Dawkins and Bill and Harris and falsely and stupidly equating them to the same fascism of theocracies, get angry at the right people.

DO NOT hypocritically rightfully point out things like bible based anti gay bigotry, then insist at the same time we all walk on eggshells. THAT is a dangerous game and considering atheists are a minority still, I find it foolish to hand government the loaded gun of censorship knowing how the Christian right feels about us. DONT BE STUPID!

We know that our Christian right here in the states does everything it can to turn back the clock, and the only thing keeping them on a leash is our FIRST AMENDMENT. If you accept rightfully they would try to make us a Christian theocracy, DONT HAND THEM THE PC BLASPHEMY LAWS they could use against us.

The key to civility ISNT in in preventing others from insulting you. Only an idiot thinks being insulted is worse than getting murdered over an insult. Civility isn't about being free from getting offended, civility is what you do when you get offended.

The left stupidly does not understand that by insisting on taboos, they are going to stupidly shoot themselves in the foot.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
10-05-2015, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 10:19 AM by GirlyMan.)
(09-05-2015 09:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Camus was an atheist, but he understood the instinct for transcendence. And he knew that God was a solution (however false) to the problem of meaninglessness. Against the backdrop of death, what matters more: truth or a reason for living? “I’ve never seen anyone die for the ontological argument,” Camus wrote, but “I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others getting killed for ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living.”

Think Camus got it right. God can be a solution to the problem of meaninglessness, but it's a lazy one.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
My takeaway from this is that it's futile to engage some people in debate. Save your breath. Nothing will convince such people.
[+] 2 users Like peacefrog's post
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:31 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
I am not trying to sell anyone anything, I have a close personal relationship with reality, not jesus, or any other mythical BS religious figure. Religion is the ultimate scam and while some of it is benign in nature, it is the radical "my view of my god is right and all of you heathens who believe otherwise better get on board" mentality that bothers me.

It is the sneaky little financing of a politician who they support to get him/her in office so that their crazy agendas can be quietly slid into laws that guide this country (US). The aggressive attempts to get pseudo-science creationism into public schools under the guise of "intelligent design", the obsession with who people love, who they marry, and how they have sex, the blocking of vital stem cell research that can save lives, the belief they know what is best for an impregnated rape victim based on biblical interpretation...these are the things that go on daily under the guise of religious freedom...Those are the people I fight.

If someone wants to whip a rubber chicken around their head while dancing naked in a counter clock wise circle and quacking like a duck makes them feel closer to their mythical god, then by all means, knock yourself out...in the privacy of your own home or in a private venue with like-minded individuals. Don’t shove the rubber chicken down my throat; don’t manipulate politicians to modify laws that affect all of us, based on their fabricated, delusional religious views.

As an educated intelligent human being it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it... To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. Simply because someone finds satisfaction believing in some made up BS doesn't give it true intrinsic value. People inject heroin to feel good too, and to them, heroin gives them happiness, but that doesn't mean it is a valid or appropriate way to live....there are people in the world that think it is totally fine..in fact divinely sanctioned, to honor kill their daughter because she had the audacity to allow herself to be raped... because she didn't have a male member of the family with her when she went out for groceries...I would submit to you that religion may give her family solace, and a since of belonging to something with value...I would call it barbaric, ignorant and murderous.

No one can convince me that the personal value of religion cannot be replaced with humanist or secular fellowship, to suggest otherwise is short-sighted. With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

religion is not the answer

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 12 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
GWG that was exceptionally well spoken.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
10-05-2015, 11:28 AM
(10-05-2015 11:21 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  GWG that was exceptionally well spoken.

Thank you, it was heartfelt, it is why I fight the misinformation in every venue I can.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
(10-05-2015 09:59 AM)peacefrog Wrote:  My takeaway from this is that it's futile to engage some people in debate. Save your breath. Nothing will convince such people.

But that's not the point of the debate. There are plenty of people out there who can and will accept the truth but they need to hear good arguments to get them there. They seek it out. It's exactly how I came to my senses, from listening to both sides of the argument. The reason that I'm able to think about issues critically and base my values on a sound, informed worldview is because there are people willing to "waste their breath" having these debates.

It is incredibly important to have these arguments and debates available for anyone that will listen to them. I and countless others are testament to that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
10-05-2015, 05:55 PM
What perturbs me about this article is a sort of unwritten sense of superiority: "Of course I don't hold beliefs without evidence, but what about all of those stupid, uneducated, unwashed proles out there who lack my sophistication who need to hold onto their silly delusions in order to have meaning in life?"

The way we advance, both individually and socially, is not by pandering to our most base impulses, but by challenging one another with the courage of sharp questions. Nothing is sacred. Question everything.

Expect fear and stupidity from people and that's what you'll get. Offer honesty and a challenge and, while you won't grab everybody, you'll get enough to begin to see change.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
(09-05-2015 10:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 10:00 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  "But you have no idea how much it means to me to believe a lie. Just last week, I won 3 lotteries in a row and married Angelina Jolie on our brand new yacht. I'm not concerned with the truth. I'm only interested in how meaningful this delusion is. It has truly transformed my life. "

^That's what I took away from all that crap.

^ This sums it up for me. It makes them feel good so they hold on to it.

Yes, it reminds me of The Life of Pi, which I found somewhat disturbing. The message seemed to be that which story you like better is more important than which story is true.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post