Internalized racism, compartmentalization and cognitive dissonance.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Internalized racism, compartmentalization and cognitive dissonance.
My brother turned me onto this. It's an excellent read from one of the foremost authorities on race relations in the US. His basic premise is that many white people in the US have internalized and compartmentalized racism to the the point where they don't even recognize it as racism.

Most White People in America Are Completely Oblivious

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-12-2014, 10:13 PM
RE: Internalized racism, compartmentalization and cognitive dissonance.
tl;dr

[Image: oscar.png]
02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.
03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
(02-12-2014 10:36 PM)pablo Wrote:  I don't know what you're talking about.

You have to read the article. Silly pablo.

#sigh
03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
I was joking about the thread title.

I can agree with some of the article.
I think a lot can be fixed, or at least lessened with the more widespread use of critical thinking. Not swallowing every crazy story on TV would be helpful.
Also, the fact that so-called 'news' outlets can air fraudulent or inciteful stories doesn't help anything.
Being a white man, I'll never know how racism affects someone who isn't a white, anlgo.
On the other side of that, someone that isn't white can't assume I'm some sort of drone that believes everything I'm fed by the media.
We have the capacity to think for ourselves, laziness makes us let others do it for us.
03-12-2014, 07:31 PM
(03-12-2014 07:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  I was joking about the thread title.

I can agree with some of the article.
I think a lot can be fixed, or at least lessened with the more widespread use of critical thinking. Not swallowing every crazy story on TV would be helpful.
Also, the fact that so-called 'news' outlets can air fraudulent or inciteful stories doesn't help anything.
Being a white man, I'll never know how racism affects someone who isn't a white, anlgo.
On the other side of that, someone that isn't white can't assume I'm some sort of drone that believes everything I'm fed by the media.
We have the capacity to think for ourselves, laziness makes us let others do it for us.

Maybe it's because I was born and raised in PG County MD which has a 65% black population and 20% white but not only did I not feel any of the reflexes dude points out, I was repulsed by them. I think most of the vitriole I see coming mainly from white people is a lack of exposure, xenophobia and ignorance.

#sigh
03-12-2014, 07:48 PM
I grew up in a small town in IN. that is probably 90% white.
About a 15 minute drive away is Gary IN, probably 90% black.
The polarization and groupthink is astounding.
Back in the 60's segregation was imposed by government, now it seems to be imposed by the population itself, fueled by fear, hatred, and ignorance.
03-12-2014, 07:57 PM
(03-12-2014 07:48 PM)pablo Wrote:  Back in the 60's segregation was imposed by government, now it seems to be imposed by the population itself, fueled by fear, hatred, and ignorance.

I think that's right. Malcolm X's words from 50 years feel like it's deja vu all over again. "America preaches integration and practices segregation."

#sigh
06-12-2014, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 08:27 PM by Imago.)
(02-12-2014 07:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My brother turned me onto this. It's an excellent read from one of the foremost authorities on race relations in the US. His basic premise is that many white people in the US have internalized and compartmentalized racism to the the point where they don't even recognize it as racism.

Most White People in America Are Completely Oblivious

In Blink, Malcolm Gladwell wrote about a study that tested people's racism on subconscious levels - subjects looked at images of people and physiological responses or something like that were monitored. I read the book years and years ago, so I don't recall the details of how the study was carried out. Anyway, everyone was just a little racist. White people responded more strongly to images of threatening black men than threatening white men. Black people responded more strongly to threatening white men than threatening black men. Gladwell participated in the study himself. He is of mixed "race" (to me, "race" means the human race, not different variations of skin pigment) and he tended to respond more strongly to images of threatening black men, but not as much as the white subjects. He also wrote that racism probably does have an effect all the time on a subconscious level for very fast reactions, like police shootings of civilians. In this day, in this nation, white cops probably will shoot black civilians sooner than they would white civilians.

Not that this can't change and can't be over-ridden in the moment.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
[+] 1 user Likes Imago's post
06-12-2014, 09:41 PM
(02-12-2014 07:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My brother turned me onto this. It's an excellent read from one of the foremost authorities on race relations in the US. His basic premise is that many white people in the US have internalized and compartmentalized racism to the the point where they don't even recognize it as racism.

Not just the US.

Loads of Malay vs. Chinese vs. Indian vs. Philippine racism over here.

Encouragingly, when it surfaces, there is invariably a clamour / slap-down that quickly follows.