International English Language Standard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 12:55 AM
RE: International English Language Standard?
(11-04-2014 09:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  English is an outlier on that and has no such body. The closest we have is the Webster's Dictionary but even that is not Authoritative.

I see.

Communism
b : a totalitarian system of government in which a single authoritarian party controls state-owned means of production
c : a final stage of society in Marxist theory in which the state has withered away and economic goods are distributed equitably

Atheism
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Facepalm

A dictionary with split personality disorder just won't do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 01:04 AM
I may just go with the Oxford Dictionary http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...?q=atheism

atheism
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.

Simple, and accurate Dodgy
12-04-2014, 01:47 AM
(12-04-2014 01:04 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I may just go with the Oxford Dictionary http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...?q=atheism

atheism
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.

Simple, and accurate Dodgy

I'm English, The Oxford is the go to standard in the UK. Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Admittedly, a living language evolves with new words and definitions. But I have a big problem with pandering to the ignorant. Words like irregardless, conversate, orientate, till (as an abbreviation of until) are just wrong. Ignorance should not dictate our language. It would seem that if enough people are wrong, then it becomes the new right. When will it end? Will commonly misspelled words be changed also?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM
(12-04-2014 08:20 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Admittedly, a living language evolves with new words and definitions. But I have a big problem with pandering to the ignorant. Words like irregardless, conversate, orientate, till (as an abbreviation of until) are just wrong. Ignorance should not dictate our language. It would seem that if enough people are wrong, then it becomes the new right. When will it end? Will commonly misspelled words be changed also?

I used to use the word 'till'. What makes you say that it is wrong?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/till

Quote:Origin of TILL
Middle English, from Old English til; akin to Old Norse til to, till, Old English til good
First Known Use: before 12th century

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/until

Quote:Origin of UNTIL
Middle English, from un- (probably from Old Norse *und up to; akin to Old Norse unz up to, until, Old High German unt, Old English ende end) + til, till till
First Known Use: 13th century

Same goes for 'orientate' first used in 1848.
12-04-2014, 09:08 AM
The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language. - George Bernard Shaw, widely attributed beginning in the 1940s, e.g. Reader’s Digest (November 1942). Not found in his published works.

We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language. - Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost (1887)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-04-2014, 09:16 AM
(12-04-2014 09:04 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 08:20 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Admittedly, a living language evolves with new words and definitions. But I have a big problem with pandering to the ignorant. Words like irregardless, conversate, orientate, till (as an abbreviation of until) are just wrong. Ignorance should not dictate our language. It would seem that if enough people are wrong, then it becomes the new right. When will it end? Will commonly misspelled words be changed also?

I used to use the word 'till'. What makes you say that it is wrong?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/till

Quote:Origin of TILL
Middle English, from Old English til; akin to Old Norse til to, till, Old English til good
First Known Use: before 12th century

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/until

Quote:Origin of UNTIL
Middle English, from un- (probably from Old Norse *und up to; akin to Old Norse unz up to, until, Old High German unt, Old English ende end) + til, till till
First Known Use: 13th century

Same goes for 'orientate' first used in 1848.

Well, 'til I see 'till' as the first definition, I will use 'til. Drinking Beverage

"orientate" was fucking illiterate in 1848 and it is fucking illiterate now. Angry

And so is "commentate". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-04-2014, 09:29 AM
In Australian schools we have traditionally had the Macquarie dictionary.

Which is fucking stupid. Australian-specific spelling for words? What the actual?

Stupid stupid stupid. Just use the Oxford. The Queen's English is the one true English.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-04-2014, 11:59 AM
(12-04-2014 09:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  In Australian schools we have traditionally had the Macquarie dictionary.

Which is fucking stupid. Australian-specific spelling for words? What the actual?

Stupid stupid stupid. Just use the Oxford. The Queen's English is the one true English.

That'd be the 'Windsor' Queen, right? The one descended from a long line of...
Consider
...what were you saying about hafin ze new Euro standard?

But there are Oz-specific words and phrases that rock up occasionally. The OED would have to accommodate them.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Conversate Weeping

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.