Internet Censorship in Iran?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Internet Censorship in Iran?
I have enabled monitoring on this website/server using an external webservice that tests the site from various counties and internet backbones. (Since the recent 13hr outage.)

One of the log enties I did find fascinating!
Code:
61    1    Arak, Iran    1 min(s)    0    17:08:23    0.63 sec    72.10.38.168/Http error:403         304

For those unfamiliar with http error code jargon you probably would recognise what 404 is so:
403 Forbidden
The request was a legal request, but the server is refusing to respond to it. Unlike a 401 Unauthorized response, authenticating will make no difference.

I checked our server access logs and error logs and no reference to any 403 error is shown. This means the 403 error didn't originate from this server but was generated before it got to this server!

Fascinating!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2011, 07:35 AM

RE: Internet Censorship in Iran?
Look... it would be great if you do that with Saudi Arabia... the situation there is worst... I mean would be great to know in what countries the site is disabled...
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2011, 11:12 PM
This might be a stupid question but what about Pakistan or Cuba? I'm only curious because I have family in both of those countries.
21-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure about Pakistan. I'm sure Cuba is ok though.
21-04-2011, 07:03 PM
(21-04-2011 05:43 PM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  I'm not sure about Pakistan. I'm sure Cuba is ok though.

Really? I thought it would be the other way around. My cousins in Cuba can't access facebook and I can't even get an e-mail through to them. I have one cousin who can finally access it but only because she's currently in Guatemala.
My family in Pakistan doesn't seem to have a problem with facebook and I've never had a problem e-mailing them. I thought it would be the same for this site.
23-04-2011, 02:30 AM
(21-04-2011 07:03 PM)SoCATrueAtheist Wrote:  
(21-04-2011 05:43 PM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  I'm not sure about Pakistan. I'm sure Cuba is ok though.

Really? I thought it would be the other way around. My cousins in Cuba can't access facebook and I can't even get an e-mail through to them. I have one cousin who can finally access it but only because she's currently in Guatemala.
My family in Pakistan doesn't seem to have a problem with facebook and I've never had a problem e-mailing them. I thought it would be the same for this site.
It might be a problem with their internet availability/reliability. This system only looks from a counties main internet backbones. Residential Internet doesn't factor into it.