Internet Speed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 06:04 PM
RE: Internet Speed
The last few times I have run this speed test, it's crashed my laptop. Kind of afraid to try it again. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 06:31 PM
(16-12-2015 04:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Lately there seems to be a lag with my wifi.

Here are my results. I ran it four times, the first and last look good, the other two showed a 1/4 of the download speed! HuhAngryCensored

What gives? Any suggestions?

[Image: 4921669839.png]

[Image: 4921676428.png]

[Image: 4921678604.png]

[Image: 4921686757.png]

Your "lag" is about 2x higher than my best speeds. I would pray to fsm for speeds like that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
16-12-2015, 06:44 PM
(16-12-2015 06:31 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Your "lag" is about 2x higher than my best speeds. I would pray to fsm for speeds like that.

I shall quit bitching then Blush

I’ll pray to the FSM that he touch your connection with one of his noodly appendages to make it go faster.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-12-2015, 06:52 PM
[img][Image: 4921913947.png][/img]

I don't know what it means...but there it is.

And now...

[img][Image: 4921918384.png][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
16-12-2015, 07:08 PM
(16-12-2015 06:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [img][Image: 4921913947.png][/img]

I don't know what it means...but there it is.

And now...

[img][Image: 4921918384.png][/img]

The first two are pretty self explanatory. The download is the max amount of data that can be transferred through downloads, upload is max amount of data that can be transferred through downloads. So if your download is 56 mb/s when you download a file it can download up to 56 megabytes per second so downloads will be faster.

Ping is pretty much the delay between your computer and network.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
16-12-2015, 09:39 PM
(16-12-2015 04:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Go die.

17mb/s. Man your life must be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. The struggles you go through, people can only imagine the horror.

How many sheep do you have to put on the treadmill to get your internet speed above 1 MBPS there in NZ? Hobo
Laugh out load

Seriously, I hear that the Commonwealth has low bit rates. What is up with that? Is the gov counting the bits as they go through the system, or something?
16-12-2015, 09:57 PM
(16-12-2015 09:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 04:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Go die.

17mb/s. Man your life must be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. The struggles you go through, people can only imagine the horror.

How many sheep do you have to put on the treadmill to get your internet speed above 1 MBPS there in NZ? Hobo
Laugh out load

Seriously, I hear that the Commonwealth has low bit rates. What is up with that? Is the gov counting the bits as they go through the system, or something?

Too much focus on rugby not enough on internet infrastructure. (seriously).

[Image: 4922190116.png]

This is what I would get if I was connecting to someone down the road.
BUT considering pretty much everything is US based I constantly get 130ms and if it's east coast it's more like 200ms.

And I'm on VDSL. We can't even get fiber because it hasn't been rolled out where we live and we live the road over from the CBD and we live in a major city... Most people here have ADSL which would be more like 1mb/s.

We have shit internet so noone really gets into it and because noone gets into we don't get better internet.
It's like a sad fat guy eatting because he's unhappy he's so fat.

[Image: oscar.png]
16-12-2015, 10:33 PM
(16-12-2015 04:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Lately there seems to be a lag with my wifi.

Here are my results. I ran it four times, the first and last look good, the other two showed a 1/4 of the download speed! HuhAngryCensored

--None of your tests would be noticeable by average use. Have you been experiencing performance problems that caused you to decide to test?

--Other devices connected can also impact performance. Wifi uses sort of polling mechanism to share the common channel for communications, and there is a sort of least common denominator for negotiated speeds. When multiple clients connect, a device connecting at a slow negotiated speed will degrade performance for all devices that are connected. A single flaky client connecting to the AP, or a distant device connecting with low signal can trash performance.

--Your router could be to blame. Some home wifi routers can be flaky. Belkin (I prefer to say Bel-can't) sucks big time.

--Interference from other wireless devices can impact performance. If you live in an apartment or condo, this will be especially the case.

--Interference can come from things other than Wifi. They can include portable phones, cell phones, light fixtures, home electrical wiring, even non-wirleess home electronics or poorly shielded microwave ovens (again, if in an apartment, that can even be in your neighbor's unit).

--dodgy wireless drivers on Windows computers can cause inconsistent performance. See that yours are the most up to date you have.

--to eliminate wireless issues or your router as the source or problems (unless it is built into your cable modem), can you plug in directly to the cable modem and get the same results?

--802.11ac is a better standard for wifi than 802.11n. Both will give you that max throughput you see, but 802.11ac operates on 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz (some 802.11n radios also support 5GHz). However both the router and your wifi device need to support 802.11ac, or your computer will instead connect at the older standard. 5GHz matters because there is much more spectrum (less interference with other wifi devices in area), and also supports more bandwidth/throughput. It does not propagate through normal building materials as well though (but this is actually good for the apartment dweller since it knocks down neighbor routers' signals some).

--the test destination on the speed test site may give inconsistent performance unrelated to your actual ISP performance.

The fact that your upload results are uniformly consistent and a decent amount for cable modem tells me the you are unlikely to have cable signal issues. If it is a Comcast problem, my guess is it is beyond your individual modem and likely an issue at the node or upstream from there. That's nothing a service tech can do anything about on a site visit. They simply won't have the tools or skills to do anything about that sort of problem. Try running a speed test on a Comcast speediest site (http://speedtest.comcast.net) . If that performs consistently, then your modem, router, wifi, everything at your home is consistently OK. In that case, it is something upstream from your connection--either the speed test site not delivering consistent throughput to Comcast networks, Comcast has congestion upstream of you on their own network, or Comcast is fiddling with throughputs in order to manage overall bandwidth.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
16-12-2015, 10:53 PM
(16-12-2015 10:33 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

--None of your tests would be noticeable by average use. Have you been experiencing performance problems that caused you to decide to test?

--Other devices connected can also impact performance. Wifi uses sort of polling mechanism to share the common channel for communications, and there is a sort of least common denominator for negotiated speeds. When multiple clients connect, a device connecting at a slow negotiated speed will degrade performance for all devices that are connected. A single flaky client connecting to the AP, or a distant device connecting with low signal can trash performance.

--Your router could be to blame. Some home wifi routers can be flaky. Belkin (I prefer to say Bel-can't) sucks big time.

--Interference from other wireless devices can impact performance. If you live in an apartment or condo, this will be especially the case.

--Interference can come from things other than Wifi. They can include portable phones, cell phones, light fixtures, home electrical wiring, even non-wirleess home electronics or poorly shielded microwave ovens (again, if in an apartment, that can even be in your neighbor's unit).

--dodgy wireless drivers on Windows computers can cause inconsistent performance. See that yours are the most up to date you have.

--to eliminate wireless issues or your router as the source or problems (unless it is built into your cable modem), can you plug in directly to the cable modem and get the same results?

--802.11ac is a better standard for wifi than 802.11n. Both will give you that max throughput you see, but 802.11ac operates on 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz (some 802.11n radios also support 5GHz). However both the router and your wifi device need to support 802.11ac, or your computer will instead connect at the older standard. 5GHz matters because there is much more spectrum (less interference with other wifi devices in area), and also supports more bandwidth/throughput. It does not propagate through normal building materials as well though (but this is actually good for the apartment dweller since it knocks down neighbor routers' signals some).

--the test destination on the speed test site may give inconsistent performance unrelated to your actual ISP performance.

The fact that your upload results are uniformly consistent and a decent amount for cable modem tells me the you are unlikely to have cable signal issues. If it is a Comcast problem, my guess is it is beyond your individual modem and likely an issue at the node or upstream from there. That's nothing a service tech can do anything about on a site visit. They simply won't have the tools or skills to do anything about that sort of problem. Try running a speed test on a Comcast speediest site (http://speedtest.comcast.net) . If that performs consistently, then your modem, router, wifi, everything at your home is consistently OK. In that case, it is something upstream from your connection--either the speed test site not delivering consistent throughput to Comcast networks, Comcast has congestion upstream of you on their own network, or Comcast is fiddling with throughputs in order to manage overall bandwidth.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this. Here is the result from the Xfinity site.
[Image: 1148961784.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Oil the wheel. If that doesn't work, your hamster is probably broken.

'Murican Canadian