Internet Speed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 03:01 AM
RE: Internet Speed
In my case - when I lose my internet connection - it's usually the string between the two tin cans breaking................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2015, 03:47 AM
(16-12-2015 04:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Lately there seems to be a lag with my wifi.

Here are my results. I ran it four times, the first and last look good, the other two showed a 1/4 of the download speed! HuhAngryCensored

What gives? Any suggestions?

[Image: 4921669839.png]

[Image: 4921676428.png]

[Image: 4921678604.png]

[Image: 4921686757.png]

is it weird if I imagined that you where snorting dsl.. when I read the title of this post.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
17-12-2015, 11:22 AM
[Image: 347048625.png]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-12-2015, 01:35 PM
(16-12-2015 10:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 10:33 PM)BryanS Wrote:  --None of your tests would be noticeable by average use. Have you been experiencing performance problems that caused you to decide to test?

--Other devices connected can also impact performance. Wifi uses sort of polling mechanism to share the common channel for communications, and there is a sort of least common denominator for negotiated speeds. When multiple clients connect, a device connecting at a slow negotiated speed will degrade performance for all devices that are connected. A single flaky client connecting to the AP, or a distant device connecting with low signal can trash performance.

--Your router could be to blame. Some home wifi routers can be flaky. Belkin (I prefer to say Bel-can't) sucks big time.

--Interference from other wireless devices can impact performance. If you live in an apartment or condo, this will be especially the case.

--Interference can come from things other than Wifi. They can include portable phones, cell phones, light fixtures, home electrical wiring, even non-wirleess home electronics or poorly shielded microwave ovens (again, if in an apartment, that can even be in your neighbor's unit).

--dodgy wireless drivers on Windows computers can cause inconsistent performance. See that yours are the most up to date you have.

--to eliminate wireless issues or your router as the source or problems (unless it is built into your cable modem), can you plug in directly to the cable modem and get the same results?

--802.11ac is a better standard for wifi than 802.11n. Both will give you that max throughput you see, but 802.11ac operates on 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz (some 802.11n radios also support 5GHz). However both the router and your wifi device need to support 802.11ac, or your computer will instead connect at the older standard. 5GHz matters because there is much more spectrum (less interference with other wifi devices in area), and also supports more bandwidth/throughput. It does not propagate through normal building materials as well though (but this is actually good for the apartment dweller since it knocks down neighbor routers' signals some).

--the test destination on the speed test site may give inconsistent performance unrelated to your actual ISP performance.

The fact that your upload results are uniformly consistent and a decent amount for cable modem tells me the you are unlikely to have cable signal issues. If it is a Comcast problem, my guess is it is beyond your individual modem and likely an issue at the node or upstream from there. That's nothing a service tech can do anything about on a site visit. They simply won't have the tools or skills to do anything about that sort of problem. Try running a speed test on a Comcast speediest site (http://speedtest.comcast.net) . If that performs consistently, then your modem, router, wifi, everything at your home is consistently OK. In that case, it is something upstream from your connection--either the speed test site not delivering consistent throughput to Comcast networks, Comcast has congestion upstream of you on their own network, or Comcast is fiddling with throughputs in order to manage overall bandwidth.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this. Here is the result from the Xfinity site.
[Image: 1148961784.png]

If your results are consistently that amount on the Comcast test site, there is nothing wrong with either your wifi or the cable modem. It would either be then that:
--the other test site cannot consistently put out enough bandwidth for real performance testing. try different test sites or destinations to see if others do give consistent results.
OR
--Comcast has other bottlenecks that are affecting multiple customers. If you test consistently good to Comcast but not somewhere off their network, then the issue is Comcast's connections off-net, and this likely would be affecting lots of their customers in your area. Still complaint-worthy, but not something a tech dispatch would solve.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
17-12-2015, 03:20 PM
(17-12-2015 03:47 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  is it weird if I imagined that you where snorting dsl.. when I read the title of this post.

A little Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-12-2015, 03:44 PM
I win.

[Image: 4951412939.png]

Typical lag spike I often get for like 10minutes.

[Image: oscar.png]
28-12-2015, 05:12 PM
(28-12-2015 03:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I win.

Whoa! I bet that image must have taken at least three minutes to upload. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-12-2015, 06:24 PM
[Image: Untitled.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-12-2015, 06:25 PM
(28-12-2015 03:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I win.

"Slower than 91% of NZ" Shocking

I suggest you change ISPs. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2015, 10:26 PM
This is with my media server (HTPC) still connected to the router. Not great, but works.

[Image: speedtest2_zpsa1vwkgxm.png]