Internet addiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 07:58 AM
RE: Internet addiction
(31-08-2017 07:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you are indeed hoarding lectures (people hoard all kinds of stuff that isn't obvious, by the way), it'll be a lot easier to deal with than if you were hoarding newspapers, for example. You don't have to face a completely changed environment, you don't have a house packed full of lectures, So that's a good thing.

The brother of a coworker was a hoarder, and he lived in a trailer in his driveway because his house was so full of stuff that he couldn't live in it anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2017, 08:01 AM
(31-08-2017 07:58 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 07:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you are indeed hoarding lectures (people hoard all kinds of stuff that isn't obvious, by the way), it'll be a lot easier to deal with than if you were hoarding newspapers, for example. You don't have to face a completely changed environment, you don't have a house packed full of lectures, So that's a good thing.

The brother of a coworker was a hoarder, and he lived in a trailer in his driveway because his house was so full of stuff that he couldn't live in it anymore.

Almost like a guy my SO and I knew. His thing was ham radio equipment..

His house got so full, he had to buy another house.

No shit.

And the guy almost never got on the air. Go figure.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-08-2017, 08:06 AM
(31-08-2017 07:58 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

I am kind of a benign hoarder - everyone loves what I hoard - plants. I have a big garden chuck full of blooms all season. My excuse is that I created an English cottage garden, and so I did. It's gorgeous. But truth be told, I just can't drive past a nursery without stopping in, and I can't leave there without a new plant...it's hoarding gone benign. Also, plants have life cycles, so they do disappear at times and need to be replaced. That keeps it within a given space without troubles.

Most hoarders are not the kind you see on TV shows, because they have found ways to hoard without creating a mess in their environment. It's not unlike a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter, or someone needing to be a multi billionaire.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-08-2017, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 01:34 PM by Oaken.)
As it turns out, my work insurance pays for mental health coverage.

It is definitely hoarding. In the same way that somebody buys everything they see before the big football game party or before the huge forecasted storm. Another problem with simply watching stuff online is because I don't always have fast internet access, and said internet gives me the notorious spinning circle at those crucial times I try to watch a lecture with somebody. Google and YouTube are doing everything they can to make it so that you can't download anything thereby increasing the brain chemical reward when I do!

Said hoarding probably began when I would work 16-hour shifts at work and have serious down time with nothing to do. I would just bring my laptop with me and watch stuff.

Thank you for the suggestions and responses.

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Oaken's post
31-08-2017, 01:34 PM
I can quit anytime.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 4 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
31-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Folks,

I've been going cold turkey on Trump news. Christ its hard!! Gasp

D.
31-08-2017, 03:56 PM
(31-08-2017 03:52 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Folks,

I've been going cold turkey on Trump news. Christ its hard!! Gasp

D.

I have tried and failed. Confused

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I decided to get myself out of the house and away from the computer screen. Am in Seattle to watch the movie The Dark Crystal in glorious 70mm at the Cinerama.

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Oaken's post
01-09-2017, 07:35 AM
(30-08-2017 11:20 PM)Oaken Wrote:  I am seriously addicted to the internet. To researching stuff, and to downloading YouTube lectures. I have hundreds of lectures on USB sticks. Yet I have to keep downloading new ones.

I had a friend who got kicked out of the library and banned from every coffee shop in my city because he would download terabytes of TV shows and wrestling and movies he would never even try to watch. I never ever thought that I could be like him.

I download about 280 gigs of lectures a month. If I put this much energy into actual schooling I probably would have had a doctorate by now. I cut myself off the internet 3 days ago and it feels like I quit a hard drug cold turkey. I am super sensitive and jittery and explode at the slightest aggravation. Yes, I realize that I am on the internet right now but it is on my phone and I cannot download to it. I bought a humanist e-book on Kindle but my years of watching lectures has made it hard for me to actually read an actual book. Help. I am in serious fucking pain.
Ok, this is new for me to be honest. If anything, as the internet itself doesn't have any physical addictive properties, you have a bad "habit". Doing what you normally do makes you feel good, and it is the feeling you are needing more than anything.

I can only really say, take a big old step back, think about what you are doing, and in this instance, craving and compare that to people with legitimate 3rd world problems.

I like browsing the internet/going on Facebook etc, although a few years back I stood in the lift at work, and noticed everybody (myself included) were all just staring at our phones, when if we looked forward, we could see all sorts of stuff and at the very least talk to each other. It was this realization that got me to delete Facebook altogether, and I stayed off it until very recently, only getting back on to keep up with distant family members. I no longer post or scrawl for hours through the time line, just send messages to my grandparents/uncles/cousins every now and again. I think it's this sort of thing you need have an 'epiphany' about, because instead of downloading gigs and gigs of total garbage, you could be talking to somebody or just going on a bit of a walk or something.

Hope that helps in some way Smile

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
01-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Hoarding brings a sense of control over your situation. It sounds like you figured out where your need to collect information comes from, with 'unintelligent people' getting doctorates. Anything else, any other reason you may be compulsively collecting?

If it was me I'd try what you are doing, getting out, changing habits etc. If it makes a difference then great, but if I slipped then I'd find help. Life is too short and so many beautiful things can be seen and can happen, it's worth the effort. Good luck!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post