Internet addiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 01:25 PM
RE: Internet addiction
Thanks. I am good now. I am a Humanist who feels like the odd one out. I provide care and support to what are repeatedly Christian DD clients and I help them get support and to live safe, productive lives...but I sometimes feel drained and punished for having to keep silent about my beliefs. And one client has parents who are the heads of an interfaith ministry that shelters and clothes people in my city...but they won't have anything to do with me because being a Humanist is not acceptable to them. Add that to the lack of Humanist schools and the Seattle freeze and it just made me painfully introverted and staring at a screen.

The secret is to get out and last night was fun. I need to take what I have learned and actually do something with it, instead of wrapping myself in it like a blanket. It can be a bit hard though because the opportunities to assist people in my area tend to religious groups. I did however support Chicken Soup Brigade in Seattle. They provide meals to people living with HIV, AIDS and debilitating diseases. I just wish there were more Atheist or Humanist groups to join, who actually do stuff. Perhaps I have to just take the initiative myself. Thanks for the comment.

I am good now.

Informed by science. Inspired by art. Motivated by compassion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Oaken's post
01-09-2017, 03:03 PM
In breaking any addiction, irritability, restlessness, and anxiety are symptoms -- the constellation known as PAWS -- post-addiction withdrawal syndrome. Those symptoms usually fade with time away from your addiction. I agree that you may be exhibiting signs of OCD/hoarding, but I'm no psychologist and am not qualified to give anything other than my uninformed opinion.

(31-08-2017 08:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 07:58 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The brother of a coworker was a hoarder, and he lived in a trailer in his driveway because his house was so full of stuff that he couldn't live in it anymore.

Almost like a guy my SO and I knew. His thing was ham radio equipment..

His house got so full, he had to buy another house.

No shit.

And the guy almost never got on the air. Go figure.

I know guys who own a hundred or more guitars. In our circles, we call that GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) -- only half-jokingly. And they can't play fucking "Smoke on the Water" to save their lives. It's hard not to be scornful of them at times.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-09-2017, 04:20 PM
(01-09-2017 03:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  In breaking any addiction, irritability, restlessness, and anxiety are symptoms -- the constellation known as PAWS -- post-addiction withdrawal syndrome. Those symptoms usually fade with time away from your addiction. I agree that you may be exhibiting signs of OCD/hoarding, but I'm no psychologist and am not qualified to give anything other than my uninformed opinion.

(31-08-2017 08:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Almost like a guy my SO and I knew. His thing was ham radio equipment..

His house got so full, he had to buy another house.

No shit.

And the guy almost never got on the air. Go figure.

I know guys who own a hundred or more guitars. In our circles, we call that GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) -- only half-jokingly. And they can't play fucking "Smoke on the Water" to save their lives. It's hard not to be scornful of them at times.

If they ever found the right guitar, they probably could play "smoke on the water". They will just have to keep trying...maybe guitar 150 will be the one.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-09-2017, 05:22 PM
(01-09-2017 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  If they ever found the right guitar, they probably could play "smoke on the water". They will just have to keep trying...maybe guitar 150 will be the one.

My opinion, that the poor craftsman blames his tools, is never a popular one with these sorts.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2017, 02:01 AM
(01-09-2017 05:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  If they ever found the right guitar, they probably could play "smoke on the water". They will just have to keep trying...maybe guitar 150 will be the one.

My opinion, that the poor craftsman blames his tools, is never a popular one with these sorts.

I always think that the best musician is the one who can make you weep with a shitty guitar. And not by bashing you over the head with it...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2017, 02:41 PM
(02-09-2017 02:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 05:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My opinion, that the poor craftsman blames his tools, is never a popular one with these sorts.

I always think that the best musician is the one who can make you weep with a shitty guitar. And not by bashing you over the head with it...

I'm nowhere being the best where I live, much less garnering notice elsewhere. But after almost 40 years on the instrument, I can pick up a dog and still make it get most of what I want to do. It's called practice, and comes hard to some folks.

I still play an hour a day, six days a week, electric or acoustic, doesn't really matter. And the two guitars I own cost me less than $500 together (both bought used). They're good enough, and where they aren't, well, that only makes me work a little more -- which only adds to my experience.

But I'm afraid any weeping I've caused was, well, well-earnt. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2017, 03:04 PM
(02-09-2017 02:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 02:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  I always think that the best musician is the one who can make you weep with a shitty guitar. And not by bashing you over the head with it...

I'm nowhere being the best where I live, much less garnering notice elsewhere. But after almost 40 years on the instrument, I can pick up a dog and still make it get most of what I want to do. It's called practice, and comes hard to some folks.

I still play an hour a day, six days a week, electric or acoustic, doesn't really matter. And the two guitars I own cost me less than $500 together (both bought used). They're good enough, and where they aren't, well, that only makes me work a little more -- which only adds to my experience.

But I'm afraid any weeping I've caused was, well, well-earnt. Big Grin

Practice is... the only thing that's necessary Smile I also spend a lot of time on that - often hours at a time, although I'm more erratic - never got the hang of daily practice.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post