Internet of Thingies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Internet of Thingies
Are any of you programmers out there doing anything with IoT? I'm currently building an IoT gateway for remote monitoring of a bunch of smart equipment in a rack using Erlang OTP because it's what all the cool kids seem to be using. Anyone have any experience with other IoT frameworks?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2017, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 09:10 AM by cactus.)
RE: Internet of Thingies
I'll want to do A LOT more research into open-source router firmware and firewall options before I even think about dipping my toe into the world of IOT devices.

I mean, technically my car is already an IOT device, but I don't really know what to do about that. Sleepy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
30-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Holy crap!

Never did I think that the herald of dystopia would be wearing a fundoshi.

Weeping

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
30-05-2017, 01:11 PM
(30-05-2017 09:03 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'll want to do A LOT more research into open-source router firmware and firewall options before I even think about dipping my toe into the world of IOT devices.

I mean, technically my car is already an IOT device, but I don't really know what to do about that. Sleepy

Ah, you mean for your home. Yes, that would be wise but you can pretty much set up your own VPN without much trouble. I develop for smarty-pants thingies talking amongst themselves in a VPN.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
30-05-2017, 01:13 PM
(30-05-2017 09:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Holy crap!

Never did I think that the herald of dystopia would be wearing a fundoshi.

Weeping

Today, Pinky, today we take over the world.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2017, 03:19 PM
All I can think of is how much more catastrophic a hack would be if everything were connected.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm no help there. I am fully occupied with SQL Server and back end code running against it. I can't even figure out how to get my new NAS device to be discoverable anywhere in my house, wired or not, and am resorting to brining in a hired gun to sort it out. No patience for hardware, for the most part.