Poll: Which "side" do you think this song represents more, based solely on the lyrics to this song alone?
This song is written from a theist's perspective, encouraging others to believe in freewill
This song was written from an atheist's perspecive, knocking believing that we don't make our own decisions and that we should take responsibility for our own actions
This song has no clear meaning; It can be argued by both sides as "pro" theism or atheism
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Interpret This in Your Own Words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Interpret This in Your Own Words

I already posted about this on my Facebook page, but I wasn't really looking for an actual conversation on there. (I'm surrounded by believers and I'm okay with keeping that part of my social life relatively neutral. That's why I found this wonderful forum.)

Anyway, I love this song, but I always wonder the "true" or "intended message" of the lyrics. I love song interpretation and I like to find meanings that are obscure and/or fit my current state of mind. (Sometimes I just love the awesome instrumentals or the melody and all that awesome stuff.)

I want to hear your take on these lyrics.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 07:28 PM
RE: Interpret This in Your Own Words
You don't even need to answer the poll! I just added that at the last second Big Grin

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I couldn't say cuz it sucked so bad I don't want to be blind and deaf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2013, 04:23 AM
I voted that it has no clear meaning.
18-08-2013, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2013 11:21 AM by TheGulegon.)
(17-08-2013 09:05 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I couldn't say cuz it sucked so bad I don't want to be blind and deaf

lol , lil' harsh don't you think, BQ? Tell us how you really feel; just don't let kim hear you say that Tongue At least I think it was her talking about attending a Rush concert, recently.
Anyway
Songs seems, to me, to imply that free will is a choice even if you choose not to choose. Which doesn't sound predestined to me, but whatevers.
I think the guy who wrote the song, Neil Peart, is an agnostic, so as far as athiest-vs-theist I voted it could go either way. Listener's discretion is the story I'm sticken with! Tongue

19-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I've always thought that Freewill was definitely non-religious, but not anti-religious. For me, it's been about taking responsibility for your own actions, particularly in the phrase:

'The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign...'
Blame is better to give than receive

It's too easy to blame external forces rather than yourself.

Rush has this song on their Snakes And Arrows album that seems overtly atheist:

"Faithless"

I've got my own moral compass to steer by
A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky
And all the preaching voices -
Empty vessels ring so loud
As they move among the crowd
Fools and thieves are well disguised
In the temple and market place

Like a stone in the river
Against the floods of spring
I will quietly resist

Like the willows in the wind
Or the cliffs along the ocean
I will quietly resist

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless

I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

I've got my own spirit level for balance
To tell if my choice is leaning up or down
And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force
Fools and thieves are dangerous
In the temple and market place

Like a forest bows to winter
Beneath the deep white silence
I will quietly resist

Like a flower in the desert
That only blooms at night
I will quietly resist

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
19-08-2013, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2013 11:44 AM by Bucky Ball.)
It's a lame attempt to promote "choosing" *free will*. An oxymoron .. or something.
Most of what goes on in human's brains is below the conscious level.
It's a set of "warring armies". The outcome of the war is decided before the outcome is conscious. Thus there is no "free will".
There are numerous threads on TTA about "free will".
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...eterminisn
See David Eagleman's video's and TED talks on choice, (on YouTube).
Someone, (ok ok I'll do it), should put together the links for the Neuroscience in one place in the info library on the subject. Shit. Like I have nothing else to do. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2013, 05:21 PM
(19-08-2013 11:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's a lame attempt to promote "choosing" *free will*. An oxymoron .. or something.
Most of what goes on in human's brains is below the conscious level.
It's a set of "warring armies". The outcome of the war is decided before the outcome is conscious. Thus there is no "free will".
There are numerous threads on TTA about "free will".
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...eterminisn
See David Eagleman's video's and TED talks on choice, (on YouTube).
Someone, (ok ok I'll do it), should put together the links for the Neuroscience in one place in the info library on the subject. Shit. Like I have nothing else to do. Tongue

I do not wish to steal from Revenant77, so I feel obligated to inform you that this was originally posted by him in the "for a laugh at religion" thread, but I thought it'd go well here, too! Thanks, Rev Shy
[Image: tumblr_mbxkjr0cBf1ruvzb6o1_500.jpg]
Tongue

29-08-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2013 06:16 PM by ridethespiral.)
Usually I get too distracted by the sick bass playing to pay much attention...

I think the first verse is anti-religion, free will in the 'think for yourself sense.' There is no virtue in allowing others to make your decisions kind of thing. So far I'm onboard....

but I think the second verse is about 'wellfare queens' and the like, 'victims of society.' Geddy is basically saying that they have no excuse for not attaining a higher station in life despite not being born upperclass (in Lotusland)...that the American err Canadian dream is alive and well for everyone...and this is where it gets a little too Ayn Rand for my taste.

The last verse is more about our place in the universe, life is short, individual freedom, etc.

Personally I believe in a deterministic universe (though it's so chaotic that this means little when faced with a choice) and I do believe that when/where you start a race plays into how you finish. So while I encourage free thought and individual freedom, I abhor the notion that 'prime movers' are always self made and that the impoverished people of the world are simply products of their own laziness or ineptitude.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user