Interpretation of 'the' debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Interpretation of 'the' debate
One day a father decides to tell his son that Santa does not exist.

Son: I can't wait for Santa to come this year!
Father: There's something I need to tell you about that.
Son: What?
Father: Santa isn't real.
Son: Yes he is, I sat in his lap at the mall.
Father: That wasn't Santa.
Son: I know it was one of his elves because he can't be everywhere at once.
Father: There are no elves son. It's all a fairy tale.
Son: Nuh-uhh, I know Santa is real because he brings me presents every year.
Father: I bought you those presents.
Son: That can't be true, he wrote his name on them, and even ate the cookies I left for him.
Father: I ate the cookies son.
Son: WHAT!? WHY DID YOU STEAL FROM SANTA!?
Father: /facepalm I didn't steal from Santa, I just pretended there was a Santa so that you would be a good kid.
Son: Prove it.
Father: I just told you... I.. nevermind.. you better be good this year or he won't bring you presents.
Son: Hehe, I know dad. He can see me when I'm sleeping and knows when I'm awake. I'm not stupid.

The End

I was talking to a friend after yet another facepalm debate with some christian and this little story i made up popped in my head. I'm sure I am not the first to make a story like this but I enjoyed the thought and felt like sharing it with someone.

Any comments would be cool

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dredmal's post
10-05-2011, 02:11 AM
RE: Interpretation of 'the' debate
@dredmal Lol, I like that story. From your perspective I'm sure it's a very good allegory. I'd say more, but it would start a never ending debate.
10-05-2011, 02:40 AM
(10-05-2011 01:57 AM)dredmal Wrote:  Son: Hehe, I know dad. He can see me when I'm sleeping and knows when I'm awake. I'm not stupid.

It's true, you know Tongue

[Image: pedobear01.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
haha, thammuz did you just happen to have that picture already on your computer? now that i think about it, i may have seen that before. it's still funny though

11-05-2011, 03:09 AM
I think the comparison between belief in Santa and God is quite relevant and should be pointed out (repeatedly) to all Christians. That virtually all children (at least in the Western Hemisphere) are subjected to a conspiracy of lies that involves their parents, their schools, television, Hollywood, radio stations (giving Santa's Sleigh radar reports on Christmas eve) newspapers, the post office, the shopping malls, etc., which is astoundingly effective in convincing them that an entirely fictional character who is capable of miraculous feats (flying to every house in the world in one night and squeezing his fat ass down all those chimneys, not to mention "keeping an eye" on every kid and making "naughty" and "nice" lists), is a real person, proves how easy it is for an entirely fictional God who keeps an eye on us all and makes his own "naughty" and "nice" lists to be believed in as well. The only difference is that when children are eventually told that Santa isn't real, they use their innate reasoning skills to weigh the evidence and accept that they have been well and truly conned.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
11-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Quote:they use their innate reasoning skills to weigh the evidence and accept that they have been well and truly conned.

i think most people who believe will reply with some garbage like 'that's totally different' or something along those lines, instead of taking their head out of their ass and thinking about the big picture.

i can respect someone who believes in 'a being that's larger than our universe'. that shows deep thought. but i have zero tolerance for people who follow these fairy tale religions and run you in circles in a debate.

i've had disagreements on subjects besides religion with people where i know for 100% fact that my information is textbook accurate and the other person doesn't have a clue. and it's the same situation as arguing with someone about religion, they run you in circles because they can't comprehend what you are saying. at some point i realize the person is stupid and i reevaluate how to approach the truth in a continual respectful manner to help them understand but it doesn't matter on what level i explain to them what they are missing. it seems as if there is a giant 'NO CROSSING' sign inside their head.

this 'road block' i believe is put there specifically for religion but it's my opinion that this device alters 'traffic' all over the place. the person can even grow up to be an 'intelligent' successful person with deep original thoughts and feelings but because this road block is there i believe it hinders their logic on many levels besides religion and inevitably holds that person back from their true potential.

my thoughts are starting to become too mean and too complex to continue writing at this moment but i feel i've created some decent reading for a fellow atheist who's trying to kill some time.

ps the 'disagreements' i spoke of earlier involved basic mathematics and computer science. true textbook material that are real examples from my life.

[+] 1 user Likes dredmal's post