Intersex—Australian CAIS People Talk About It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Exclamation Intersex—Australian CAIS People Talk About It
From today's Melbourne, Australia newspaper The AGE...

"I don't know if I can trust doctors again": What it's like to find out you're intersex at age 17.

This is a story by 33-year-old Alex David outlining the serious clinical and psychological issues of being born as intersexual. Alex couldn't be determined to be a boy or a girl at birth; his genitalia was ambiguous, such that he had internal gonads (undeveloped tissue that hadn't developed into testes or ovaries) and this caused confusion with the doctors. Apparently they had not seen this before and were unsure how to respond.

And from last night, a live studio report from our local TV special services broadcaster SBS. It's a lengthy, multi-page full transcript, but I think it's well worth the time to read it in detail as the host interviews several intersex people, and discusses their personal feelings and how it was dealt with (or not) by both their parents and the medical profession...

Intersex. [click/tap "Show all" below "TRANSCRIPT" heading]

Nearly 2% of Australians have some sort of intersex variation. It’s as common as people with red hair. Intersex advocates are calling for a ban of surgery on intersex infants, and say procedures on people before they're old enough to consent are a violation of human rights. However, doctors say any ban would affect many families and individuals who are happy with the surgery they had as children.

Reading through Alex's story, and also the transcript of the SBA "Insight" TV broadcast, I found myself with mixed feelings of total empathy for the subjects; animosity towards the medical professionals who made the totally wrong decisions; compassion for the parents effectively forced into doing (what they truly believed was) the best for their children despite the lack of available clinical support; and also a degree of outrage that a supposedly 1st-world country—with accessible top-class clinicians, educators, and researchers—still can't get its collective head around these sorts of intersex issues. Are the morals and ethics, patient compassion, and the (seemingly) "playing god" syndrome of many of our medical professionals still ultimately locked into the 19th century? Should the parents of intersex babies have the "right" to allow or deny clinical intervention for their newborn? Would it be more acceptable to delay any intervention until the child reaches puberty, and can make a considered decision themselves, or is that too late from a psychological perspective?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
07-11-2017, 07:39 AM
RE: Intersex—Australian CAIS People Talk About It
The traditional method most religions use to address this is called infanticide....

Can't let anyone see any of " God's mistakes" huh????

Another reason why religion should be treated as a mental defect.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-11-2017, 10:27 AM
RE: Intersex—Australian CAIS People Talk About It
(07-11-2017 07:32 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Are the morals and ethics, patient compassion, and the (seemingly) "playing god" syndrome of many of our medical professionals still ultimately locked into the 19th century? Should the parents of intersex babies have the "right" to allow or deny clinical intervention for their newborn? Would it be more acceptable to delay any intervention until the child reaches puberty, and can make a considered decision themselves, or is that too late from a psychological perspective?

That's tough. I'd say "don't do it and let the person decide for their self", but it's a weirdly complicated issue.

I guess the best case is to get people educated and to stop worrying whether or not real, breathing humans fall perfectly into the two buckets they want them to. If people just accepted that not everyone is male or female, then we wouldn't feel the need to "fix" things while they are still infants.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post