Interstellar opnions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 06:48 AM
RE: Interstellar opnions
I really liked it! Very entertaining. Good acting. Don't be one of those people expecting to get accurate science. It's a movie. Lol my husband is always taking movies too seriously. "Yeah, that's unrealistic." It's a just a goddamn movie!

Reminds me of those Christians who got mad because the Noah movie wasn't "biblically accurate."

Anyway, I also loved the film score in the movie! Smile

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
10-11-2014, 06:53 AM
(10-11-2014 06:48 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Reminds me of those Christians who got mad because the Noah movie wasn't "biblically accurate."

KingsChosen was correct about Noah in that it was indeed a crap movie.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Inception and I do appreciate good science in a movie. I find it improves a movie or TV series and it's lazy writing on the part of the script makers if they ignore it.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
10-11-2014, 07:04 AM
(10-11-2014 06:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 06:48 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Reminds me of those Christians who got mad because the Noah movie wasn't "biblically accurate."

KingsChosen was correct about Noah in that it was indeed a crap movie.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Inception and I do appreciate good science in a movie. I find it improves a movie or TV series and it's lazy writing on the part of the script makers if they ignore it.

I can see your point. Some of my Facebook friends just got SO angry about the Noah movie, that it was ridiculous. Like making several posts about it and refusing to see it.

As far as bad science goes, I can see how it might show some laziness on the part of the script makers. You'd think they'd get an expert in there to check facts.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
10-11-2014, 07:21 AM
How Interstellar Crashes in Its Third Act - BOB "MOVIEBOB" CHIPMAN @ TheEscapist.com

The error, in my view, is that we're actually given too much information too early: As a storyteller, Christopher Nolan worships at the altar of exposition (hence why his best film by far, Inception is made up almost-entirely of characters explaining rules, explaining plans, then explaining how the various rules and plans are working or not working as they go through them); but even before he boarded Interstellar it was already a film whose raison d'être was giving hard-science backing (the project was originally conceived by theoretical physicist Kip Thorne) to what feels structurally like a more metaphysical "high pulp" genre work -- a good shorthand description for its aims might be: "Open like Close Encounters, end like 2001: A Space Odyssey, explain how everything actually worked.

In any case, come Act 3, the "workings" (in the actual storyline) have come tragically undone: The supposedly superheroic advance-scout (Matt Damon, in a "Hey look! It's Matt Damon!" surprise cameo) whom Cooper's team has journeyed for decades (thanks to the time-shifting effects of relativity) to rendezvous with turns out to have gone stark-raving mad alone on an alien world, tries to kill them and hijack their ship -- damaging it in the process. Back on Earth, the now-adult Murphy learns that the NASA scientist behind the project (Michael Caine) has been lying to everyone: He gave up his "Plan A" of transporting Earth's human population years ago, and always intended the "Plan B" of Cooper's crew restarting humanity from scratch in the new galaxy as the only plan.

(Oh, and Cooper's other child, Casey Affleck, has turned into a self-righteous "Git offa mah land!!!!" redneck caricature who refuses to let Murphy save his wife and son from the toxic air of their farm; which fails to feel like a completely pointless artificial tension-extender only by virtue of how egregiously Damon's "the audience will be restless if there's no tangible Bad Guy to punch" heel-turn has already sinned in that regard.)

TL;DR Version
Nolan fails to successfully pull off the emotional hook for a project that was clearly aimed initially at Spielberg, who would have nailed the emotional tones out of the fucking park had he been at the helm. This project simply does not fall within Nolan's wheelhouse, and everything that made Inception work instead causes this movie fall apart.

See Also: Does Interstellar Suck? - MOVIE FIGHTS! (Screen Junkies @ YouTube)

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-11-2014, 08:19 AM
I enjoyed it, it's very reminiscent of 2001 a Space Odyssey. The only movie that had any realism in it as far as space travel goes was Apollo 13, but it did give you a sense of the nature of interstellar travel with large time variations between crew and home planet.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-11-2014, 01:49 AM
The movie blew me away. The entire story is incredible and epic in ways that made my heart swell. Emotional, mind-bending, engaging and awe-inspiring. I loved it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2014, 02:32 PM
(12-11-2014 01:49 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The movie blew me away. The entire story is incredible and epic in ways that made my heart swell. Emotional, mind-bending, engaging and awe-inspiring. I loved it.

It's playing on an IMax screen here in Portland. This might be THE way to see it. Thumbsup

I get dizzy sometimes watching IMAX movies. I'm so embarrassed. Blush

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-11-2014, 06:20 AM
If you go see it without expecting too much (I mean hey, it's Hollywood, what did you expect?) it will blow you away.

It did make me cringe at times, but at a bearable (for Hollywood, I repeat) level.

You can actually feel how the characters feel in space. The sound is beyond amazing and creates a quite realistic feeling. The premise is cool and it's a theme I always wanted to see in a movie and they pulled it off I believe.

I LOVED the soundtrack. It gave just the right feeling.

Not a fan of the main cast, but they didn't bother me at all, McConaughey actually impressed me.

What I wanted to see was a movie that makes you feel exactly what it is like to travel through space and time, with awesome space scenery and most importantly, a movie that most people (especially the 17 year olds who decided to watch it just because and didn't even know what a black hole is) won't like, just because it is not conventional.

In short, I loved it.

P.S, keep handkerchiefs close, snot is embarrassing at the movies Weeping

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
18-11-2014, 08:46 AM
*** SPOILER ALERT *** IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST...

Now for those that have seen the movie, let me get this straight; We (humans) did all of this? I'm OK with the tesseract, assuming we reverse humankind's direction towards ignorance and embrace intelligence.

My problem comes with the wormhole. Are they saying that we somehow made it off our dying planet, found a livable planet, then placed a wormhole near Saturn so we had a short-cut to planets we would be able to survive on? And that's the BEST we could do? Or are they saying the help we could give ourselves in the past was limited, so here's a wormhole?

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
27-11-2014, 01:57 PM
(18-11-2014 08:46 AM)Silo1180 Wrote:  *** SPOILER ALERT *** IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST...

Now for those that have seen the movie, let me get this straight; We (humans) did all of this? I'm OK with the tesseract, assuming we reverse humankind's direction towards ignorance and embrace intelligence.

My problem comes with the wormhole. Are they saying that we somehow made it off our dying planet, found a livable planet, then placed a wormhole near Saturn so we had a short-cut to planets we would be able to survive on? And that's the BEST we could do? Or are they saying the help we could give ourselves in the past was limited, so here's a wormhole?

I saw it last night and my problem wasn't with the wormhole placed near Saturn it was all the damn expository writing throughout the movie. The characters speak to each other in expository terms....constantly! Of course, it's done this way so the audience will understand what a wormhole is or a black hole is or how gravity affects time but it made the dialogue sound unnatural and dumb. No one speaks to each other like this, especially highly trained scientists and astronauts. NASA people already knows this stuff, or they should know it.

At one point the lead character, Matthew McConaughey , who is supposed to be a top flight NASA astronaut, is given an explanation of what a wormhole is. Really? He doesn't know what a wormhole is or how it works and he was an astronaut?

I donno. The movie didn't do much for me. I don't give a shit about special effects, what I want is people being real and relatable with interesting dialogue and the special effects are just icing on the cake.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.