Interstellar opnions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: Interstellar opnions
(27-11-2014 01:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I saw it last night and my problem wasn't with the wormhole placed near Saturn it was all the damn expository writing throughout the movie. The characters speak to each other in expository terms....constantly! Of course, it's done this way so the audience will understand what a wormhole is or a black hole is or how gravity affects time but it made the dialogue sound unnatural and dumb. No one speaks to each other like this, especially highly trained scientists and astronauts. NASA people already knows this stuff, or they should know it.

At one point the lead character, Matthew McConaughey , who is supposed to be a top flight NASA astronaut, is given an explanation of what a wormhole is. Really? He doesn't know what a wormhole is or how it works and he was an astronaut?

I donno. The movie didn't do much for me. I don't give a shit about special effects, what I want is people being real and relatable with interesting dialogue and the special effects are just icing on the cake.

It's almost impossible to make such a movie without much expository writing. It's easy to criticize this "bad habit" screenwriters have when you are not a screenwriter yourself, but trust me, most of the time it can't be done any other way.

To be honest, I found it to be minimum in this specific film. I actually loved how the teenagers in the theater who were there just for fun had no idea what the characters were talking about. Even my boyfriend who has a basic idea of what relativity and wormholes are was lost at some point, so I can't really complain about the amount of expository writing here.

As for McConaughey being a trained astronaut, I'm pretty sure that even nowadays, NASA pilots are not required to know how wormholes supposedly work in detail. In fact, I think it was clear that he knew what a wormhole was, just not exactly how it works.

Others have complained about not seeing enough special effects and that it was too focused on people and "feelings". There's just no pleasing some people Consider

I could perfectly relate to the characters, as the movie set the perfect atmosphere for that lonely, depressing feeling one has when considering the vastness of the universe, the insignificance of our existence, our limited time in the world and the meaning we find through our feelings for others.

I dunno, it's Hollywood and we didn't see any boobs. How much better can it get? Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
28-11-2014, 01:46 PM
(27-11-2014 02:23 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 01:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I saw it last night and my problem wasn't with the wormhole placed near Saturn it was all the damn expository writing throughout the movie. The characters speak to each other in expository terms....constantly! Of course, it's done this way so the audience will understand what a wormhole is or a black hole is or how gravity affects time but it made the dialogue sound unnatural and dumb. No one speaks to each other like this, especially highly trained scientists and astronauts. NASA people already knows this stuff, or they should know it.

At one point the lead character, Matthew McConaughey , who is supposed to be a top flight NASA astronaut, is given an explanation of what a wormhole is. Really? He doesn't know what a wormhole is or how it works and he was an astronaut?

I donno. The movie didn't do much for me. I don't give a shit about special effects, what I want is people being real and relatable with interesting dialogue and the special effects are just icing on the cake.

It's almost impossible to make such a movie without much expository writing. It's easy to criticize this "bad habit" screenwriters have when you are not a screenwriter yourself, but trust me, most of the time it can't be done any other way.

To be honest, I found it to be minimum in this specific film. I actually loved how the teenagers in the theater who were there just for fun had no idea what the characters were talking about. Even my boyfriend who has a basic idea of what relativity and wormholes are was lost at some point, so I can't really complain about the amount of expository writing here.

As for McConaughey being a trained astronaut, I'm pretty sure that even nowadays, NASA pilots are not required to know how wormholes supposedly work in detail. In fact, I think it was clear that he knew what a wormhole was, just not exactly how it works.

Others have complained about not seeing enough special effects and that it was too focused on people and "feelings". There's just no pleasing some people Consider

I could perfectly relate to the characters, as the movie set the perfect atmosphere for that lonely, depressing feeling one has when considering the vastness of the universe, the insignificance of our existence, our limited time in the world and the meaning we find through our feelings for others.

I dunno, it's Hollywood and we didn't see any boobs. How much better can it get? Tongue

Much of the last part reminded me of 2001 A Space Odyssey which I loved. One of the reason's I liked it so much was because it didn't explain everything. You had to scratch your head and try to figure out what you just saw. But Science Fiction isn't my thing, really, so others might enjoy it much more. I'm more of a history buff and looking forward to the movie about Alan Turing breaking the Enigma code during WW II. It comes out today.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-11-2014, 01:55 PM
(28-11-2014 01:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Much of the last part reminded me of 2001 A Space Odyssey which I loved. One of the reason's I liked it so much was because it didn't explain everything. You had to scratch your head and try to figure out what you just saw. But Science Fiction isn't my thing, really, so others might enjoy it much more. I'm more of a history buff and looking forward to the movie about Alan Turing breaking the Enigma code during WW II. It comes out today.

Oh, fair enough! Smile
Science fiction is not really my thing either, but this particular one didn't have any lasers or aliens or stuff, which I hate about sci fi.
Plus, I didn't have great expectations about the movie and it didn't disappoint me!

-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-04-2015, 07:16 AM
(18-11-2014 08:46 AM)Silo1180 Wrote:  My problem comes with the wormhole. Are they saying that we somehow made it off our dying planet, found a livable planet, then placed a wormhole near Saturn so we had a short-cut to planets we would be able to survive on? And that's the BEST we could do? Or are they saying the help we could give ourselves in the past was limited, so here's a wormhole?

Finally watched this last night. That's a few wasted hours that I will never get back. The whole "it was us all along" crap makes no sense at all -- we evolved past the limitations of 3 dimensions and knew that we needed to go back to a point in time to fix things but didn't know how to do that exactly? Please.

The only positive was that the exterior space scenes had no sound effects. The characters were shallow, the acting bad, the "action" was gratuitous, and the story was ridiculous.

Other than that, it was fine.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-04-2015, 07:25 AM
As a professional who worked morse code - and worked THOUSANDS of messages from ships -- (Yup - I'm really dating myself) -- I can assure you that there's no way in hell an amateur (I don't mean hams) is going to accurately and quickly transmit a complex message.

I don't care how motivated you are.

Typical Hollywood horseshit. A lame "ex deus machinia" if there ever was one..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-04-2015, 12:26 PM
(10-04-2015 07:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As a professional who worked morse code - and worked THOUSANDS of messages from ships -- (Yup - I'm really dating myself) -- I can assure you that there's no way in hell an amateur (I don't mean hams) is going to accurately and quickly transmit a complex message.

I don't care how motivated you are.

Typical Hollywood horseshit. A lame "ex deus machinia" if there ever was one..

I'm pretty sure it's easier to transmit a message to your own daughter through a bookcase you both know perfectly well after having played with Morse code together everyday for years. Also, the messages were not that complicated.

"Deus ex machina" is actually a plot device, not an excuse to claim a movie is bad.

And if you're looking for 100% realism, why watch Hollywood movies? Tongue

-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-04-2015, 01:41 PM
(10-04-2015 12:26 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  "Deus ex machina" is actually a plot device, not an excuse to claim a movie is bad.

No, but it often signals a desperate attempt to get out of a plot hole. What got me was that he figures out the bookcase connection, then out of nowhere determines that he can control gravity by waving his hand like a priest doing a blessing and uses that to provide the info for his former self to find NASA. He then does a complete 180 and tries to stop himself by sending back the message that he already knows didn't work the first time. Even ignoring the fact that NASA was very well funded and organized for a completely secret organization existing after the collapse of government and civilization in general (where the hell were they getting the supplies to build anything?) the movie was just a mess.

Quote:And if you're looking for 100% realism, why watch Hollywood movies? Tongue

I rarely do but the reviews here seemed fairly positive. Last time I take movie advice from this crowd!
Weeping

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-04-2015, 02:03 PM
(10-04-2015 01:41 PM)unfogged Wrote:  No, but it often signals a desperate attempt to get out of a plot hole. What got me was that he figures out the bookcase connection, then out of nowhere determines that he can control gravity by waving his hand like a priest doing a blessing and uses that to provide the info for his former self to find NASA. He then does a complete 180 and tries to stop himself by sending back the message that he already knows didn't work the first time. Even ignoring the fact that NASA was very well funded and organized for a completely secret organization existing after the collapse of government and civilization in general (where the hell were they getting the supplies to build anything?) the movie was just a mess.

"Often"? Without a deus ex machina, countless movies would have no point, because the problem would never be resolved.
I'm pretty sure he was just testing and figured out it works if he moved his hand like that. Again, if they had to spend like 10 minutes showing him trying to figure it out, you'd come here saying it was a boring movie.
I don't think he actually remembered ignoring the message in the past. I mean, that was pretty obvious.
No one said the government collapsed in the movie (I think). It was implied that the project was secret (obviously funded by the government) because people would react to spending money for spaceships while there's no food.
So yeah, there's an explanation for (almost) everything I guess Tongue

(10-04-2015 01:41 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I rarely do but the reviews here seemed fairly positive. Last time I take movie advice from this crowd!
Weeping

I thought it was spectacular. I don't know what people expected. We tend to judge movies pretty harshly, not realizing that it's hard work making a perfect movie (if there ever was one). I didn't see any bad acting. They simply acted "realistically". I personally could feel what it would be like traveling with them in that spaceship.

The soundtrack, the effects, the whole feeling of it captured that sense of loneliness in the universe perfectly. Neil Degrasse Tyson praised it for being very accurate scientifically. There was no on-screen romance, sex, boobs or unjustified action scenes.

Should I also mention that most of its impact comes from sounds and effects that should only be experienced in a cinema? If you watched it on a TV or laptop screen, even with the best sound system, you've missed a lot.

If I had to critique it as an independent and/or European movie, I'd say it sucked balls. But Hollywood? I'm not sure I've actually seen a better Hollywood movie.

(If you haven't guessed already, I loved the movie Tongue )

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
10-04-2015, 02:18 PM
ex deus machinia is a way of getting out of a plot hole, that the author dug so deep he couldn't get out.

It's a cheat.

period.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I downloaded it from a torrent site, sat through half of it and shut it off.

Wouldn't even watch it for free.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!