Interstellar opnions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2015, 02:31 PM
RE: Interstellar opnions
(10-04-2015 02:03 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm pretty sure he was just testing and figured out it works if he moved his hand like that. Again, if they had to spend like 10 minutes showing him trying to figure it out, you'd come here saying it was a boring movie.

Except that he just did that and it worked right away. 10 minutes would have been boring but at least some trial and error would be more believable.

The movie was boring in spots but they didn't last too long. Mostly it moved along at a decent pace.

Quote:I don't think he actually remembered ignoring the message in the past. I mean, that was pretty obvious.

I don't see it that way; to me it was pretty obvious that he chose to send "stay" precisely because that was what he had been told.

Quote:No one said the government collapsed in the movie (I think).

I thought they did say something near the beginning but I might be wrong about that. Overall I took it that most of the population had been wiped out and may have just assumed that the government was crippled, if not gone.

Quote:It was implied that the project was secret (obviously funded by the government) because people would react to spending money for spaceships while there's no food.

Yeah, that was stated outright. Given that they had evidence of the black hole and reason to believe there was hope it didn't entirely make sense to me that it would be kept secret but that could be plausible.

Quote:So yeah, there's an explanation for (almost) everything I guess Tongue

Spoken like a True Interstellarist™! Big Grin

Quote:I didn't see any bad acting. They simply acted "realistically". I personally could feel what it would be like traveling with them in that spaceship.

The technical details I agree were fine; better than many other movies. The personal interactions were wooden at best. I found none of the characters likable in any way which made it hard to care what happened. (Tom & Murph as kids were OK but as adults they were obnoxious)

Quote:Should I also mention that most of its impact comes from sounds and effects that should only be experienced in a cinema? If you watched it on a TV or laptop screen, even with the best sound system, you've missed a lot.

Yes, I watched it on a TV with no sound system to speak of. I had to rely on the storyline and the performances and they just weren't worth much in my opinion.

Quote:(If you haven't guessed already, I loved the movie Tongue )

That's OK, I still think you're a good person despite that! Big Grin
To each his own.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-04-2015, 05:07 PM
(10-04-2015 02:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ex deus machinia is a way of getting out of a plot hole, that the author dug so deep he couldn't get out.

It's a cheat.

period.

Even if you view it that way, I'm not sure there's such a plot device in this specific movie anyway. It seems like the opposite actually. There was no "divine interference". They just played out what was supposed to happen anyway.

Had their mission failed, there would be no story to tell.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Loved it. It's a movie people.
11-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Damn.. Bunch of haters here...

WARNING - SPOILERS

I took issue with a few of the things listed:

The tesseract was a 3D space representing a 4D timeline, he could move along the timeline at his leisure, and yet, he appeared rushed?

The depth of gravity well on the water planet was identified upon arrival, so they knew they had to be quick, since so much time will have passed in orbit, compared to the time spent on planet. However, they didn't immediately realize that the repeated "OK" signals from the planet over the last decade must have been from an extremely short time planet side?

In the end, it seems a bit insane that a giant rotating tube would be a more viable home than Earth. Yes, I realize they are travelling to a new planet. Still, it would have been nice to see some kind of bubble cities or some earthly solution AS WELL.

If they had enough respect and admiration for Coop to recreate his home inside the traveling terran tube... Why did they apparently not give a fuck when he showed up decades later with an amazing story? This probably bothers me most of all...

And yet, I'd say that everything good about the movie still managed to shine through. Despite its flaws, I'd give the movie two thumbs up... And that soundtrack... Mmmm nom nom nom, tasty.

On the flip, the latest batman movie.. Probably less total problems, but it had one problem so big, that it ruined the entire movie. The bomb they based the main threat on is a physical impossibility. I'm glad Nolan actually consulted a physicist for interstellar, even if he didn't follow all the advice.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
11-04-2015, 04:14 PM
(11-04-2015 11:38 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If they had enough respect and admiration for Coop to recreate his home inside the traveling terran tube... Why did they apparently not give a fuck when he showed up decades later with an amazing story? This probably bothers me most of all...

They named the station after Murphy Cooper and recreated her home as a museum.
He wasn't the hero to them, she was.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-04-2015, 07:28 PM
(11-04-2015 04:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 11:38 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If they had enough respect and admiration for Coop to recreate his home inside the traveling terran tube... Why did they apparently not give a fuck when he showed up decades later with an amazing story? This probably bothers me most of all...

They named the station after Murphy Cooper and recreated her home as a museum.

Still doesn't explain why they seemed so disinterested...
11-04-2015, 07:31 PM
(11-04-2015 07:28 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 04:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  They named the station after Murphy Cooper and recreated her home as a museum.

Still doesn't explain why they seemed so disinterested...

They ran out of money for filming???? The ticker tape parade would have put them over budget...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.