Interventionism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Interventionism
Are you anti or pro-intervention? Cast your minds back to recent conflicts the West has gotten involved in and/or started. Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya. What are your thoughts on these conflicts?

Personally, I think it depends heavily on each conflict, and requires strict analysis before thinking about intervening using military strategy. Having said that, and since I firmly believe it was right and proper we invaded Iraq in 2003 and toppled Saddam's regime, you'd probably put me in the 'pro' camp.

Discuss.

[Image: tumblr_mhlahyonF51qaozevo1_250.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I Slappa DaFace's post
06-09-2014, 07:55 AM
RE: Interventionism
I'm always torn on these things - I remain conflicted about Iraq only because of the justifications that were used.

Having said that - going in to topple despotic regimes brings its' own problems of principle when you have dictatorships that are too big and important to be intervened in.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
(06-09-2014 07:16 AM)I Slappa DaFace Wrote:  Are you anti or pro-intervention?

Well...

(06-09-2014 07:16 AM)I Slappa DaFace Wrote:  Personally, I think it depends heavily on each conflict...

Yep, that seems to cover it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
06-09-2014, 09:54 AM
I would say generally pro, although I think intervening in Kosovo was a mistake, and the the US should supplying the Kurds in Syria rather than the "Syrian Free Army". I agree with the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, as well as the NATO bombings of Gaddafi back in 2011.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
(06-09-2014 07:16 AM)I Slappa DaFace Wrote:  Are you anti or pro-intervention? Cast your minds back to recent conflicts the West has gotten involved in and/or started. Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya. What are your thoughts on these conflicts?

Personally, I think it depends heavily on each conflict, and requires strict analysis before thinking about intervening using military strategy. Having said that, and since I firmly believe it was right and proper we invaded Iraq in 2003 and toppled Saddam's regime, you'd probably put me in the 'pro' camp.

Discuss.
I think killing Osama bin larden fartin was a good move. I think Afghanistan is way better off when you don't got those fanatic al Questa lady killers In control.
06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
(06-09-2014 07:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 07:16 AM)I Slappa DaFace Wrote:  Are you anti or pro-intervention?

Well...

(06-09-2014 07:16 AM)I Slappa DaFace Wrote:  Personally, I think it depends heavily on each conflict...

Yup.

One caveat: Go in big or stay out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
(06-09-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 07:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Well...

Yup.

Addendum to Caveat: Always have an exit strategy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-09-2014, 10:33 AM
(06-09-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  ---

Oddly enough, I agree with that.
Personally, that particular phrase takes me back to early 90s & Bush 1's pull back; Iraq could have and should have been finalized at that time. Left as it was, latent lunacy was allowed to smolder and fueled the fire that kept Bin Ladin and his ilk cozy.

Hindsight may indeed be 20/20... but many of us back in the early 90s were wondering why the fuck such a "committed operation" appeared to be just a big jerk off.

Do or, do not. Commitment is commitment; 100%.
Play for keeps or fuck off.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
06-09-2014, 11:04 AM
(06-09-2014 10:33 AM)kim Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  ---

Oddly enough, I agree with that.
Personally, that particular phrase takes me back to early 90s & Bush 1's pull back; Iraq could have and should have been finalized at that time. Left as it was, latent lunacy was allowed to smolder and fueled the fire that kept Bin Ladin and his ilk cozy.

Hindsight may indeed be 20/20... but many of us back in the early 90s were wondering why the fuck such a "committed operation" appeared to be just a big jerk off.

Do or, do not. Commitment is commitment; 100%.
Play for keeps or fuck off.

Drinking Beverage

I disagree here. We have seen what happened in Iraq after Saddam's ouster and that was after being weakened for over a decade. If during Desert Storm we would have extended into regime change we would have run into all the same problems if not more.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-09-2014, 11:28 AM
(06-09-2014 11:04 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I disagree here. We have seen what happened in Iraq after Saddam's ouster and that was after being weakened for over a decade. If during Desert Storm we would have extended into regime change we would have run into all the same problems if not more.

Then we shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Yes, our assistance was requested but no concrete exit strategy was placed on the table and adhered to, many loose ends were left unattended.

That's how it looked from here, anyway. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein