Interview Questions and Answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 07:36 PM by microterf.)
Interview Questions and Answers
Do to requests, I am going to post the Questions and answers to my interviews here as I receive permission. They will be anonymous unless otherwise requested.

Of course feel free to copy the questions and answer them, and post your answers here, or have Christians answer those questions and post them here as well

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 06:40 PM
RE: Interview Questions and Answers
Questions to ask Atheists – Rahn127

1. How old do you believe the earth is?
I don't believe the earth is a certain age. I accept the findings of scientists who have gathered the evidence from rock samples on earth, from meterites that have fallen to the earth, from lunar samples taken from the moon and from comparing the mass & luminosity of our sun to those of other stars, it appears the solar system cannot be much older than those samples we have tested.
The earth is about 4.54 billion years old, give or take .05 billion years.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
I don't have to do any research to accept the findings of scientists all over the world.
The scientific findings of any subject are peer reviewed at the highest level to provide the most accurate analysis that we can for any subject there is.
When you care about the truth and you want to ensure that you have the most accurate information possible, you put those answers to the questions through a peer review process.
This means that any finding can be scruntinized by anyone on the planet. If you have new information that proves a particular idea is wrong, then you publish it and you show it's wrong. Scientists are brutal when it comes to peer review. If you don't have the evidence to back up what you are saying, they will pick it apart like vultures.
Scientists are skeptics. They don't believe it until you can prove it. Show me the math. Show me the evidence. Show me your experiements. Show me all the raw data. Can I reproduce your results ? All of this goes into every answer that science has for every question.

2. Do you think evolution happened?
Evolution is a proven theory in science. You might as well ask me if I think the earth orbits our sun or if I think gravity happens.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it?
Evolution is decent with modification within a population.
At it's most basic, evolution is change over time. Evolution is well documented, it provides an explanation about why we observe changes in the species of all populations of animals, plants, insects, etc. If you have a population of any species, it will change over time because the offspring are not exact duplicates of the parents.
Again, I am not a research biologist, in much the same way that I'm not a geolist.
I accept the findings of science because of the peer review process.

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
No

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced? Most of my family is not religious, but it saddens me to say that I did have one aunt and one uncle who were and still are to this day. As I've grown older, I've discovered that other family members are privately religious. Given where I live, the religious holidays and religions of other kids I grew up with, christianity was the only religion that was talked about. I was given a childrens bible when I was about 6-7. I still have it and I treasure it. It's filled with lots of interesting stories and horrific encounters. It's fantasic fiction.

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
Religion was never taught to me, in much the same way that Cinderella wasn't taught to me
The bible was a book that contained stories, nothing more.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
I never had to question the existence of something I never believed in.
I questioned the existence of Santa Clause but I never questioned the existence of Zeus or Odin or God or Allah or Any of the Native creation myths. There was no need to. They were all myth

7. Please describe your conversion process.
I have no idea what this question means.
I haven't been converted to anything.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research.
I've read passages in the bible, but they weren't very interesting.
Why would research theology ? Of what value is that ?
Have you read The Hobbit ? Done any research on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy ?
Now that's a fascinating story.

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
No I wouldn't. I have better things to do with my time.

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
I would respond by saying “Then why aren't you a member of every religion that exists or has ever been ? After all, you say it's better to believe than to be wrong”
Their own religius stance invalidates this wager. They already don't believe in hundreds of religions. They already fail at their own wager.
For me personally, it's better to have as few false beliefs and as many true beliefs as possible. I care whether or not my beliefs are true or not. If I'm going to believe that something is true then I need to have that belief backed up by evidence.
It is better to not believe something until there is evidence.
Many gullible people who bought into the end of the world, lost their houses, lost all their savings. Some lost their lives. Please tell me again how it's better to believe a lie compared to the truth.

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion?
All of the good ? Religion poisons everything it touches.
Genocide, mutilation, beheading, famine, suffering, the spread of disease, the intentional retardation by religion about science over the years, trying to drag us back to the stone age, the intentional lies and punishment that religion offers to those of faith as a way to control peoples thoughts and mutilate morality. Religion expects people to believe a pack of lies and if you don't then they expect the faithful to attack those who don't believe. It's a pack mentality. They want others to fall into slavery to their god. They have a wish to be told what to do and they want others to obey as well. A celestrial dictatorship that they can never be rid of.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
On a scale of 0-100, I would say it's important to keep religion out of schools and politics
100% of the time. We would flourish as a country if we could do this.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god?
I am at a 10 on the certainty level that there is no evidence of any gods.
If evidence should be discovered in the future, then my mind will be changed based on that evidence. That's something that people of science are willing to do. Will are willing to change our beliefs about what we believe is true when evidence is provided. If evidence was provided tomorrow that Odin exists, people of science would evaluate the evidence and then accept the findings if they are validated. People of faith wouldn't. People of faith aren't willing to change because their entire religion is based on faith and faith isn't a pathway to truth. Faith is when you give up on trying to discover truth and you're willing to believe anything anyone tells you. Faith is gullibilty.

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
I don't subscribe to any religions because none have met their burden of proof that their gods exist. All religions rely on wishful thinking and excuses for why their wishes weren't granted.
Wishing that life was better is nice. Actually doing something to make life better is great.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
No, I don't. I don't have to be gullible. Faith is when you stop seeking real answers to questions and instead make up something that makes you feel good for the moment. Wouldn't you rather have a truthful answer instead of a lie. Lies can make you feel good, but the truth is so much better. Reality is so much better than a fantasy in your mind.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
I would say “If you really care if your beliefs are true or not, then you need to ask yourself some very hard questions about your beliefs. If you don't care if your beliefs are true or not, then just keep on believing those happy thoughts and don't worry about life.”

For christians, ask yourself the following questions.
Did your god command anyone to put together all of the canons of the bible ?
Who chose which canons would be in the bible and how did they determine which canons were from god and which weren't ?
Were there any canons intentionally left out of the bible ?
Who wrote the books of Mark, Mathew, Luke & John ?
There are 30,000 different versions of the bible. If you believe that your particular bible is the word of god, then why are men able to change those words ?
The King James version of the bible contains what King James wanted in the bible. Those are his words, not gods. He changed those words and now you believe his changes are the word of god. Which god do you believe in ? The before or after version ? And Why ? Do you only believe that version because that's the version you grew up with ?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
18-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Questions to ask Christians -1
1. How old do you believe the earth is? Billions

What research have you done to come to this conclusion? none

2. Do you think evolution happened? No

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you? No research, never made much sense. Look at it through faith.

3. Matthew 10:29 states that not even a sparrow will fall to the ground apart from God’s will. If God’s will is already guaranteed to be done, what purpose does prayer have? Prayer is when we talk to god. Prayer keeps you centered. Thank him for the blessing and acknowledge problems and strength.

4. If Jesus is God, and if God is omnipotent, why did the redemption of humankind require Christ’s torture and execution? Why would a God with limitless power not simply forgive man his sin? Because he died for our sins. To teach in his earthly body. Born to die for that purpose.

5. Do you believe that the bible is the perfect, accurate and divinely-inspired Word of God? As the bible’s authors cannot be verified by sources outside of the bible, how do you know that this is true? It’s the word from our still speaking god. It is our law and what we should follow.. The decedents kept that going. Gospels are what god taught Paul and Mathew.

6. Is God really all-powerful? Omnipotent? Is it true that He can do anything? If this is the case, why has God not already defeated and destroyed Satan? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to conquer Satan before Adam and Eve could be tempted in the garden? Why do you think God is waiting? No answer? To test man’s faith.

7. If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation? I don’t know.

8. With terrorist groups like ISIS today reminding us of the danger of extremists, we are reminded of the Inquisitions and Crusades. With so much violence in the name of religion, would we ever be better off without religion? No. Absolutely not.

9. In his book “The End of Faith” Sam harris writes “The Bible does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" and argues that if it were written by an omniscient god it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about humans. How do you respond to that?

10. How much sleep have you lost in your life over whether or not you are worshipping the right god? None

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too? I would imagine.

12. Have you had a spiritual experience? If yes, could you describe it? We were brought together by god. After losing my husband, my faith has gotten stronger.

13. Many people throughout the world have had spiritual experiences and miracles, many of them have attributed them these experiences to their god. How would you explain the same effect for people of different religions? Wouldn’t you expect the one true religion believers to be the sole recipient of these? They worship their god, we worship ours.

14. What religion were your parents? What age were you introduced to a religion, and is that your current religion? Church of God, pentacostlle. 3 or 4 years old.

15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest? 10

16. With so many different religions in the world today, either one of them is completely correct, or all of them are wrong. Would you be open to studying works of other religions, or secular works by non-believers? No.

17. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible? No.

a. If my father gave me a book on his death bed, and told me that everything I ever needed to know was in there, I would make sure I read it until I understood everything. Yes

18. If your pastor came in this Sunday and told you they had proof there was no god, but they believe in community and people so they will keep preaching every Sunday to help with moral guidance and motivational speaking would you keep going? No

19. If somehow you realized there was no personal god, how do you think it would affect you? This question is more to gauge if you feel that you need to BELIEVE in a god, or if you believe because you think it is true. God is my true friend, he is with me wherever I go. I have to rely on god. God rules our lives. I have to find god.

20. Congruency in the bible is one of the biggest selling points as it is 40 different authors for 66 books over 1500 years. Isaiah 37 and 2 Kings 19 are identical. I would suggest that this strongly implies that 2 Kings 19 was copied from Isaiah 37 meaning the author had access to it. Why shouldn’t we believe that this isn’t the case for most of the bible? Hard to answer

21. What advice would you have for atheist or subscribers to other religions? Atheist –Get on board. If you don’t have god, you don’t have a life. I feel sorry for them.

18-11-2014, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 07:25 PM by microterf.)
Questions to ask Christians – 2
1. How old do you believe the earth is? Never though about it

2. Do you think evolution happened? I don’t know

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you? God had a lot to do with it.

3. Matthew 10:29 states that not even a sparrow will fall to the ground apart from God’s will. If God’s will is already guaranteed to be done, what purpose does prayer have? Lots of reasons. Prayer that it will be his will and blessings.

4. If Jesus is God, and if God is omnipotent, why did the redemption of humankind require Christ’s torture and execution? Why would a God with limitless power not simply forgive man his sin? It was the jews that did that to him.

5. Do you believe that the bible is the perfect, accurate and divinely-inspired Word of God? As the bible’s authors cannot be verified by sources outside of the bible, how do you know that this is true? There is verification, it’s not written, it has to do with faith.

6. Is God really all-powerful? Omnipotent? Is it true that He can do anything? If this is the case, why has God not already defeated and destroyed Satan? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to conquer Satan before Adam and Eve could be tempted in the garden? Why do you think God is waiting? No idea. To give us time to have more faith.

7. If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation? I don’t think I have that much faith.

8. With terrorist groups like ISIS today reminding us of the danger of extremists, we are reminded of the Inquisitions and Crusades. With so much violence in the name of religion, would we ever be better off without religion? No. I would never give up my relgion.

9. In his book “The End of Faith” Sam harris writes “The Bible does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" and argues that if it were written by an omniscient god it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about humans. How do you respond to that?

10. How much sleep have you lost in your life over whether or not you are worshipping the right god? None

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too? I would imagine.

12. Have you had a spiritual experience? If yes, could you describe it? Lots of them. Weeks where I didn’t know how I woud make it, but he has always provided. COPD 75% blocked, prayed a lot, same treatment for six years. Quit smoking 6 years ago. Prayer Chain started July 19th Had to take walk and couldn’t breath from lr to kitchen. Drove to aunts 90th birthday. Miraculously breathing came back.

13. Many people throughout the world have had spiritual experiences and miracles, many of them have attributed them these experiences to their god. How would you explain the same effect for people of different religions? Wouldn’t you expect the one true religion believers to be the sole recipient of these? I don’t know, I have faith.

14. What religion were your parents? What age were you introduced to a religion, and is that your current religion? Baptist. Father non-believer. Baby, go to non-denominational

15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest? 9

16. With so many different religions in the world today, either one of them is completely correct, or all of them are wrong. Would you be open to studying works of other religions, or secular works by non-believers? I wouldn’t mind reading.

17. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible? Yes. Non-denominational church.

a. If my father gave me a book on his death bed, and told me that everything I ever needed to know was in there, I would make sure I read it until I understood everything.

18. If your pastor came in this Sunday and told you they had proof there was no god, but they believe in community and people so they will keep preaching every Sunday to help with moral guidance and motivational speaking would you keep going? No

19. If somehow you realized there was no personal god, how do you think it would affect you? This question is more to gauge if you feel that you need to BELIEVE in a god, or if you believe because you think it is true. Based on evidence and experiences.

20. Congruency in the bible is one of the biggest selling points as it is 40 different authors for 66 books over 1500 years. Isaiah 37 and 2 Kings 19 are identical. I would suggest that this strongly implies that 2 Kings 19 was copied from Isaiah 37 meaning the author had access to it. Why shouldn’t we believe that this isn’t the case for most of the bible? Accidents can happen.

21. What advice would you have for atheist or subscribers to other religions? Ex husband started going to church after divorce. Said “Oh God” when he was an atheist.

18-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Questions to ask Christians 3
1. How old do you believe the earth is? Thousand.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion? No research, other peoples research.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you? Evolution is believing all forms were a simple form that progressed to a higher form. If that was true, why aren’t there people from the basic forms.

3. Matthew 10:29 states that not even a sparrow will fall to the ground apart from God’s will. If God’s will is already guaranteed to be done, what purpose does prayer have? It connects us, it is our lifeline to god

4. If Jesus is God, and if God is omnipotent, why did the redemption of humankind require Christ’s torture and execution? Why would a God with limitless power not simply forgive man his sin? They had to sacrifice, god said with the birth of Christianity and Christ with him sending his only son, this was the ultimate sacrifice.

5. Do you believe that the bible is the perfect, accurate and divinely-inspired Word of God? As the bible’s authors cannot be verified by sources outside of the bible, how do you know that this is true? You have to have faith. Because I do, I believe it is a living word that is divinely inspired by the holy spirit to regular people.

6. Is God really all-powerful? Omnipotent? Is it true that He can do anything? If this is the case, why has God not already defeated and destroyed Satan? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to conquer Satan before Adam and Eve could be tempted in the garden? Why do you think God is waiting? I think he loves us so much that he gave us free will and in doing so, we get to choose to believe in him and choose him as our lord and savior.

7. If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation? Heaven forbid that he would ask me to do that. I would try my best to what he asked me to do because of obedience and love of him.

8. With terrorist groups like ISIS today reminding us of the danger of extremists, we are reminded of the Inquisitions and Crusades. With so much violence in the name of religion, would we ever be better off without religion? Religion is something altogether different than Christianity. I don’t understand why they would do that in the name of religion.

9. In his book “The End of Faith” Sam harris writes “The Bible does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" and argues that if it were written by an omniscient god it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about humans. How do you respond to that? I think god doesn’t need us to know specific happenings. Or we would be ready. In generalizations we need to be ready. God gidn’t need us to know those exactly.

10. How much sleep have you lost in your life over whether or not you are worshipping the right god? none

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too? I don’t know.

12. Have you had a spiritual experience? If yes, could you describe it? Yes, was when I was a little girl, I was in the woods and prayed for a good husband and all sons, I have 7 sons and a good husband. 1981 experienced the baptism of the holy spirit and jesus became the lord of my life. Prayers answered. Had $200 in the bank and ask god for help to buy the farm. Able to come to the auction and purchase the farm. God made that possible. One son had seizers and we prayed for his healings, he was healed. Never had a seizer after that.

13. Many people throughout the world have had spiritual experiences and miracles, many of them have attributed them these experiences to their god. How would you explain the same effect for people of different religions? Wouldn’t you expect the one true religion believers to be the sole recipient of these? I don’t know, I guess you would expect that.

14. What religion were your parents? What age were you introduced to a religion, and is that your current religion? Roman Catholic, as an infant, Roman Catholic. Wasn’t always a Christian catholic until I claimed it as my own in 1981.

15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest? 10

16. With so many different religions in the world today, either one of them is completely correct, or all of them are wrong. Would you be open to studying works of other religions, or secular works by non-believers? Find other works interesting, but not for myself to defend the faith that I have.

17. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible? Mostly through it. Some I don’t understand.

a. If my father gave me a book on his death bed, and told me that everything I ever needed to know was in there, I would make sure I read it until I understood everything.

18. If your pastor came in this Sunday and told you they had proof there was no god, but they believe in community and people so they will keep preaching every Sunday to help with moral guidance and motivational speaking would you keep going? No. I would find others that believed there were a god.

19. If somehow you realized there was no personal god, how do you think it would affect you? This question is more to gauge if you feel that you need to BELIEVE in a god, or if you believe because you think it is true. It would change it drastically. There would be no reason to do the right things. I believe in an everlastings.

20. Congruency in the bible is one of the biggest selling points as it is 40 different authors for 66 books over 1500 years. Isaiah 37 and 2 Kings 19 are identical. I would suggest that this strongly implies that 2 Kings 19 was copied from Isaiah 37 meaning the author had access to it. Why shouldn’t we believe that this isn’t the case for most of the bible? Believing that they were inspired by the holy spirit, why wouldn’t he inspire all of them.

21. What advice would you have for atheist or subscribers to other religions? To look into Christianity in a different light.

18-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Questions to ask Christians - 4
1. How old do you believe the earth is? 6000 Years

What research have you done to come to this conclusion? None, Just church & Creation museum

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you? When a meteorite hit the earth and it formed everything. Humans slowly evolved from monkeys. Everything

3. Matthew 10:29 states that not even a sparrow will fall to the ground apart from God’s will. If God’s will is already guaranteed to be done, what purpose does prayer have? To show god that you’re obedient

4. If Jesus is God, and if God is omnipotent, why did the redemption of humankind require Christ’s torture and execution? Why would a God with limitless power not simply forgive man his sin? I don’t really know.

5. Do you believe that the bible is the perfect, accurate and divinely-inspired Word of God? As the bible’s authors cannot be verified by sources outside of the bible, how do you know that this is true? We don’t know

6. Is God really all-powerful? Omnipotent? Is it true that He can do anything? If this is the case, why has God not already defeated and destroyed Satan? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to conquer Satan before Adam and Eve could be tempted in the garden? Why do you think God is waiting? I don’t know

7. If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation? No, I would not kill my child.

8. With terrorist groups like ISIS today reminding us of the danger of extremists, we are reminded of the Inquisitions and Crusades. With so much violence in the name of religion, would we ever be better off without religion? Yes, at some points.

9. In his book “The End of Faith” Sam harris writes “The Bible does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" and argues that if it were written by an omniscient god it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about humans. How do you respond to that? I don’t know.

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too? Yes

12. Have you had a spiritual experience? If yes, could you describe it? No

13. What religion were your parents? What age were you introduced to a religion, and is that your current religion? Christian, 3, Christian

14. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest? 5

15. With so many different religions in the world today, either one of them is completely correct, or all of them are wrong. Would you be open to studying works of other religions, or secular works by non-believers? Sure

16. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible? No

17. If your pastor came in this Sunday and told you they had proof there was no god, but they believe in community and people so they will keep preaching every Sunday to help with moral guidance and motivational speaking would you keep going? Yes

18. If somehow you realized there was no personal god, how do you think it would affect you? This question is more to gauge if you feel that you need to BELIEVE in a god, or if you believe because you think it is true. I believe it because I think it’s true.

19. Congruency in the bible is one of the biggest selling points as it is 40 different authors for 66 books over 1500 years. Isaiah 37 and 2 Kings 19 are identical. I would suggest that this strongly implies that 2 Kings 19 was copied from Isaiah 37 meaning the author had access to it. Why shouldn’t we believe that this isn’t the case for most of the bible? That is what could be happening.

20. What advice would you have for atheist or subscribers to other religions? I’m 50% sure that I’m correct

18-11-2014, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 08:28 PM by microterf.)
Questions to ask Atheists - Fodder_From_The_Truth

1. How old do you believe the earth is?
Roughly 4.5 billion years.
What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
Though I’m not seasoned in the science behind carbon and radiometric dating, I’m familiar with the science behind it and trust the scientific community who have done the necessary tests to confirm their data time and again. Having only recently identified as an atheist and began looking more fervently into these matters, scientific documentaries are where I have gotten the majority of my information.

2. Do you think evolution happened?
Yes.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it?

Evolution is the change in species based upon genetic traits that best help individual species survive their environment.
3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
No.

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced? I wouldn’t say that my family is religious, but like many American’s, if asked, I would assume they would identify as believing in God and possibly Christians, though I don’t recall them ever being asked. Of course this only pertains to my immediate family.

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
I was never introduced to religion through somebody that was immersed into it to take the time to convince me it was fact, so no.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
For the majority of my life I believed in God because that’s what everybody else did, but after my first regular experience in an evangelical church around 2004 I began to question the entire idea.

7. Please describe your conversion process.
After being asked by my girlfriend in early 2004 to attend church with her to “see what a big part of her life was about” I received my first regular experience in church, this being a non-denominational evangelical church. I never felt comfortable or received any “divine experience”, but I did witness a lot of the practices that turned me away, such as watching people give away there hard earned money in tithing, as well as the mass hypocrisy of people who clearly felt their status as Christians made them “good” people while they routinely behaved no different than anyone else (lying, back stabbing etc.) This was the start of me looking into the whole “God” business and his conspicuous absence.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research.
I have read some of the bible but am by no means an expert. My regular involvement in message boards such as The Thinking Atheist where the bible is discussed regularly as introduced me to numerous passages that do enough damage to its reputation, I feel like I’ve become familiar with quite a bit of it while not actually picking up a bible and reading from cover to cover.

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
No. If you removed the “lead orator” from the idea though, than I might. I would be more interested if it were a community with equal speaking opportunities for all.

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
Simple: How do you know you chose the right ‘god’?

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion?
Yes. As much good that has been done in the name of religion, an equal or more amount of ‘bad’ has been done. People who have no affiliation with religion still do good things every day. People are either good or bad; I don’t believe religion truly makes that much of a different.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
I find it extremely important and should be one of the biggest goals for anti-theists to attain

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god?
10. I can’t prove that a ‘higher power/divine creator’ isn’t real, but there is enough evidence that no such personal God exists or ever has. I guess in this way I could be identified as a ‘deist’ but I don’t believe there is a ‘divine creator’ either.

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
One could assume that my previous relationship with the woman that introduced me to church and religion that I mentioned earlier could have left me ‘scorned’ against it considering that it was my lack of faith that led to us separating in the end, but one would have to take me at my word that this is not the case. It was my introduction to church and religion that opened the door to atheism. It never felt real, in fact it felt ridiculous and phony. At the end of the day, the lack of evidence and the blatant contradictions stand as my answer.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
This is the most difficult concept to deal with, and I think all you can really do is offer that person the evidence that science offers to the truth and hope that someday they see the light.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
To give the alternative a chance. I honestly gave religion a chance as did most atheists. Most atheists were religious for a good portion of their lives. Also, to really thoroughly read their holy books and look deep inside themselves without bias.

What other comments or questions do you have for me?

No questions but just a final comment: By no means do I consider myself one of the more educated atheists you’ll find in terms of making a great case to abandon religion as I’ve only really begin studying the bible, historicity of Jesus and things of the sort. My position as a militant atheist is geared more towards the social and psychological aspects of religion and atheism. Being that I live in the Bible Belt (Oklahoma) I am surrounded by people who, whether they regularly attend church, read their bibles, pray, spread the Word or anything else that Christians do to feel like they are following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, identify themselves as Christians. Most of my coworkers identify as Christians and they swear, drink, lie, cheat, get divorced or have skeletons in their closet, yet feel righteous when they speak about their faith or judge others for their behavior. These people use religion and their faith as a shield from their own insecurities and behavior, and they need a wake-up call to reality.

18-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Questions to ask Atheists - goodwithoutgod

1. How old do you believe the earth is? 4.54 billion years old.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion? Various science classes as well as rudimentary understanding of how accurate various dating methods are.

2. Do you think evolution happened? Yes, evolution is occurring right now, and is observable, which is why it classifies as a theory. Those unfamiliar with scientific terms think that theory is something, “not quite right”, a speculation, a guess, and very likely wrong. “According to the Oxford English dictionary, a scientific theory is “a statement of what are held to be the general laws, principles, or causes of something known or observed.” In science, a theory is much more than just a speculation about how things are: it is a well thought out group of propositions meant to explain facts about the real world.” I believe it is due to lack of understanding of the plethora of empirical and scientific evidence proving evolution that prevents some from accepting it.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it? To summarize the theory of evolution, one only has to understand that life on earth has evolved gradually over a long period of time from an ancient, primitive self-replicating molecule which evolved over time, creating many diverse living organisms. Most likely the most controversial part of the evolutionary theory is natural selection. This is due to design in nature by a natural mechanical process that does not require supernatural, creation stories to explain its existence. This is controversial because those that subscribe to fabricated fairytales and invalid delusional supernatural transcendental belief systems do not like when you muddy the water with facts, reason, logic and empirical evidence. These people posit intelligent design as the answer, which is a religious argument lacking empirical support and offers no tenable hypothesis.

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one? Was raised Southern Baptist.

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced? Father Southern Baptist Preacher. Parents divorced, and mother became a Pentecostal minister, and my father converted to Mormonism.

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact? Yes.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god? Immediately.

7. Please describe your conversion process. I grew up southern baptist. My father was a minister, I was saved, baptized and involved at all levels of our church. I was surrounded in its glory, saw the ins and outs...as a young married man both of my daughters were diagnosed with infantile tay sachs disease, a horrible terminal disease with no cure...slow death came to them, my family surrounded us, we prayed, we rocked, I cried, I dont think there is a human on earth that prayed harder than I during that year of sorrow..I beseeched heaven and earth to take me instead....guess what happened? they died in my arms three months apart...this was 1998. My wife committed suicide 2 months later..couldnt take the pain. I wanted to die, but unfortunately it appears I am extremely mentally resilient..never saw a shrink, never popped a pill, I cried, I moved on, one foot in front of the other. Now I know you are thinking Ah, that is why he hates god, no, I started researching, thinking, asking questions, starting with the obvious why...the ministers and leaders told me things like "we dont know god's plan", "It is not of us to question god", "god allowed this to happen to bring you closer to him" etc etc..i remember one night we had the church to ourselves, they opened it up, and a dozen preachers were there, we anointed the girls, prayed, and then the senior guy put his hands on my children and prayed, and shook and then looked at me and said, the power of jesus christ has healed them...you have only to turn your life to jesus, and believe and they are healed....yeah, no...they died. What kind of sick man tells a grieving heart broken couple that? Anyway, I went through the stages of grief, and onto my trail of why...why did this happen, why would a god allow this to happen, then that started other questions...why was the 14 million jews allowed to be mass murdered...why this and that...what is this religion, what is it based on, I read the bible cover to cover, I started comparing it, learning the back stories, I started going to college and taking every theology class i could get my hands on, books, I own hundreds of them now, from all sides of the debate.....needless to say, the more I learned, the less I believed...all total nonsense. I expanded my search to other religions, the more I looked and read and investigated, the more ridiculous the story was....i didnt "turn from god" because my family died, but that experience gave me the drive to think, to learn, to read, to research, to discover that it is a clever, subjugative corrosive made up thing that the majority of the human race has embraced. When you learn that the gospels were not written by whom you think, that the bible is riddled with lies, parables, pseudipigrapha and interpolations...when you learn that moses, adam, eve etc were all complete fabrications, when you learn that the alleged miracles of jesus never happened, when you learn the most important lesson, that NO ONE who wrote of jesus knew him...it makes it all fall apart.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research. Yes, cover to cover, I own many bibles, and a copy of the Qu’ran, attend a Christian catholic university, and have a minor in religious studies specializing in Christianity.

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity? Never, will never enter a church again.

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this? One cannot pretend to believe, one either does or does not. I surmise that a large percentage of "christians" go through the motions under this pretense. If there is a god, I am sure he can see through the pretending..the greatest problem with the wager is its suggestion that a rational person can knowingly will himself to believe a proposition for which he has no evidence. A person can profess any creed he likes, of course, but to really believe something, he must also believe that the belief under consideration is true.

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion? The moderate religious followers who go to church, seek out fellowship, civil community outreach and support of the homeless and poor are great factors of religion, but we don't need religion to have those in society. There are secular organizations that do the same thing...like foundation beyond belief.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions? Extremely important, it has no place in politics or government.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god? 10

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic? Evidence and logic.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.” Faith IS the delusion, belief without evidence. Faith is pretending to know things that you dont know. To say "I have faith in god" really means "I pretend to know things I don't know about god." Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before and done well. (Bering 2011, Harris 2004, Loftus 2010, 2013, McCormick 2012, Schick & Vaughn 2008, Shermer 1997, 2011, Smith 1979, STenger & Barker 2012, Torres 2012, Wade 2009 etc). If a belief is based on insufficient evidence, than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This can not point one to the path of truth. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god? Don’t have blind faith. Substantiate your faith by researching its beginnings, its scriptures, identify who wrote the book, and why.

18-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Micro, I have no problem with you placing my username before my answers.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
18-11-2014, 09:13 PM
^You can also use mine. Hadn't occurred to me that you'd need it.

Does anybody else find the christian answers to be mildly alarming? They don't really seem to have payed much attention to the questions or given much thought to the answers.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post