Interview Questions and Answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: Interview Questions and Answers
(18-11-2014 09:13 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^You can also use mine. Hadn't occurred to me that you'd need it.

Does anybody else find the christian answers to be mildly alarming? They don't really seem to have payed much attention to the questions or given much thought to the answers.

just blind faith at its best, nothing new there.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
18-11-2014, 09:27 PM
(18-11-2014 09:13 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Does anybody else find the christian answers to be mildly alarming? They don't really seem to have payed much attention to the questions or given much thought to the answers.

not mildly; they deny science without even a basic understanding of what it actually says

Quote:1. How old do you believe the earth is?
T1 - Billions
T2 - Never thought about it
T3 - Thousand
T4 - 6000 Years

What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
T1 - none
T2 - I don’t know
T3 - No research, other peoples research.
T4 - None, Just church & Creation museum

2. Do you think evolution happened?
T1 - No
T2 - I don’t know
T3 - No
T4 - No

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you?
T1 - No research, never made much sense. Look at it through faith.
T2 - God had a lot to do with it.
T3 - Evolution is believing all forms were a simple form that progressed to a higher form. If that was true, why aren’t there people from the basic forms.
T4 - When a meteorite hit the earth and it formed everything. Humans slowly evolved from monkeys

have given it no thought at all

Quote:10. How much sleep have you lost in your life over whether or not you are worshipping the right god?
T1 - None
T2 - None
T3 - None
T4 - None

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too?
T1 - I would imagine.
T2 - I would imagine.
T3 - I don’t know.
T4 - Yes

and they believe it strongly without having even read the main book

Quote:15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest?
T1 - 10
T2 - 9
T3 - 10
T4 - 5

17. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible?
T1 - No.
T2 - Yes. Non-denominational church.
T3 - Mostly through it. Some I don’t understand.
T4 - No

Nothing new for sure but striking when seen in one piece like that

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I've never directly encountered a creationist. They are my Bigfoot. Reading the answers from christians really shocked me.

This forum has its share of ignorant questions from time to time, but 6000 years ? There are trees older that that.

Its like I'm reading the thoughts of someone who only had a fourth grade education

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-11-2014, 12:15 AM
microterf,

I work with a youth minister that I think would give much more in depth answers. If you could email me the questions for Christians, I'll email them to him and then return them to you. I've asked him if he'd be interested in answering them and he agreed. He is one of the few people I speak with in person on the atheist/theist debate and is by far a better representative of his faith than any troll we've had lingering around here (kingschosen is the only exception but he's obviously not a troll). I think we would all enjoy seeing some honest, deeper answers.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
19-11-2014, 02:52 AM
(18-11-2014 10:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I've never directly encountered a creationist. They are my Bigfoot. Reading the answers from christians really shocked me.

This forum has its share of ignorant questions from time to time, but 6000 years ? There are trees older that that.

Its like I'm reading the thoughts of someone who only had a fourth grade education

I think Christians admitting they are Creationists in the face of all the science is why you don't regularly see one identify themselves as a Creationist. I'd bet a lot more believe in the Genesis story and the 6000 to 10,000 Earth age and just don't readily admit it.
19-11-2014, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2014 03:26 AM by DLJ.)
1. How old do you believe the earth is?
Damn! Did I miss a birthday? Sorry, Earth.

2. Do you think evolution happened?
No.
It's still happening

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
I used to subscribe but the newsletters and other junk mail became overwhelming.

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced?
Church of England, so no, not religious.

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
Yes but in the same way that Father Christmas is fact.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
Like Father Christmas it seemed iffy from the start.

7. Please describe your conversion process.
I attended Sunday School religiously and weekly. I went to a number of church-linked holidays and asked one of the leaders how it worked so we sat down next to a sparkling, shimmering stream in the heart of the Peak District and he prayed.
After a long while he said "did you feel god's presence?". I said "no". We went home.
So, more like an attempted conversion process... failed.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research.
I've read it a few times. I used to write biblical parodies when still at school.
Obvious twaddle is obvious.

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
Again... that's the Church of England.

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
"Would you be interested in buying a share in a greyhound?"

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn't any religion?
Unfounded premise.
A 'good' it has done has perhaps been as a forerunner of the modern-day regulator that identifies and encourages best practices. But I think we would have got to this point anyway, without religions.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
It depends on your objectives.
I kinda like the idea of having slaves, especially owning girls as property. Currently, I'm only permitted to rent them.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn't a personal god?
Completely certain. Or why would we have science prizes?
Unless by 'personal god' you mean 'ego'?

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
I hate my ex-wife for taking my cat!

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
In song...

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
Red pill, blue pill... the choice is yours.

What other comments or questions do you have for me?
What's your favourite colour?

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-11-2014, 06:49 AM
(18-11-2014 09:13 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Does anybody else find the christian answers to be mildly alarming? They don't really seem to have payed much attention to the questions or given much thought to the answers.

I do find it alarming, but not surprised. It really is exactly what I was expecting. The answers were all essentially "I haven't done any research, but I have 100% confidence in my beliefs." I am really hoping that when one christian sees other Christians answers to the questions, and compare it to the atheists answers to similar questions it will at least make them think.

I do wish I would have rephrased one questions, and made it "With all the violence in the name of religion, don't you think it is at least worth researching your position from a historical evidence standpoint?" as I think this would have made them think a little more.

It did cross my mind more than a few times that these people's votes count just as much as mine!?! Blink

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
19-11-2014, 06:53 AM
(19-11-2014 12:15 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  microterf,

I work with a youth minister that I think would give much more in depth answers. If you could email me the questions for Christians, I'll email them to him and then return them to you. I've asked him if he'd be interested in answering them and he agreed. He is one of the few people I speak with in person on the atheist/theist debate and is by far a better representative of his faith than any troll we've had lingering around here (kingschosen is the only exception but he's obviously not a troll). I think we would all enjoy seeing some honest, deeper answers.

I am meeting up with my old pastor this Sunday. I'm going to do the interview with him, but also talk about a lot more afterwords. I really want to challenge him on the morality of teaching something as fact with little to no evidence to support it. I'm definitely open to suggestions for topics regarding this. There are a few more Christians that I still have to interview besides him that I think may give a little deeper responses.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
19-11-2014, 06:55 AM
(18-11-2014 10:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I've never directly encountered a creationist. They are my Bigfoot. Reading the answers from christians really shocked me.

Oh yes, I believe that the pastor at the church I used to attend was a YEC, and so many of the people who attended followed. They encouraged visits to the creation museum. It is quite frightening what ignorance will lead you to.

19-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Questions to ask Atheists – MrKrispy601

1. How old do you believe the earth is? Around 4.5 billion years or so.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
The same exact way I do most of my research on anything. Just looking up multiple astrophysicst studies such as Adam Gopnik and Neil Degrasse Tyson and comparing notes and checking credibility.

2. Do you think evolution happened? The question doesn’t make sense. Evolution is an on-going process.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it? I KNOW evolution is the theory of inherent characteristics of all life forms changing over a period of time. This is why we have different types of races, different species of dogs, winged birds, etc. . I’ve done I guess the same amount of research any person with a computer has done and it seems like a pretty simple concept(overall at least)

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one? To one religion in particular no but christian values were around me so I guess christian.

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced? My family was Methodist Baptist. They pretty much always had me around it(saying prayers at night, church every sunday, etc.)

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact? Again another weirdly worded question. It’s not a fact because the definition of a fact and what is taught don’t line up as it being one. However, for the sake of this interview my parents believe it is a fact so they pushed it as it being fact.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god? Around the time that I figured out the whole tooth fairy/santa thing. I got in a LOT of trouble for asking questions so much during bible study.

7. Please describe your conversion process. This is a tricky one. Although I was raised in this environment heavily I always questioned it so I never actually believed it wholeheartedly. It was more of the fear that kept me around. Me going back and forth about if I was wrong was led to a lot of torment as a teen(turned down sex because of fear of hell, refrained from masturbation until I converted). I didn’t fully convert until I moved away from my parents at 18.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research. Yes and I have done SOOOO much study on religions in general in my own spare time. The research was eye opening in some ways and others scary. Eye opening because it finally answered questions for how people believe in their religion, Scary because I figured out some of the things people will excuse just because “God did it”

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity? As long as questions were permitted and it was an actual discussion(some back and forth).

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this? I usually don’t respond to this because at this point there is nothing to talk about. When I would rather believe in actual facts that have been proving so I can best understand the reality around me and someone else decides to believe because of fear of reprisal or because it’s the better side of the fence then the argument isn’t on the same page and therefore over.

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion? I feel this question is moot. Just because someone or something has provide or done something for the better good it doesn’t excuse the bad things that are caused especially if they outweigh the good and continue to happen. That’s like defending a drug dealer that has ruined a community because he/she passes out turkeys on thanksgiving.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions? I understand that for most people their faith is their backbone and makes up a strong part of their everyday decisions. Sometimes these decisions are for the best of mankind sometimes not and if that’s a possibility it’s extremely important to keep your religion away from political decisions. Now in the case of social decision I’m assuming that you mean choosing who will be in your circle. I think this is also a terrible thing mainly because I’ve had friends be cut off from their families due to religion and choosing a deity over your own family because of fear is as immoral as one gets.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god? What do you mean by personal god? If you’re referencing the belief in a deity period 10 due to lack of testable evidence.

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic? It’s always been about answering questions for me so evidence and logic.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.” Faith is no more than gullibility. Believing something with no good reason or testable evidence is silly. Grand claims like the claim of a supreme being require grand evidence no less.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god? Try reading your bible from cover to cover would be a good start for most. This is not to convert or anything but to actually gain knowledge on your religion. To not be afraid of asking questions and if you are because of you think your God would punish you for having question(having doubt) then maybe you should really think about who you’re worshipping.

What other comments or questions do you have for me? I really appreciate you not only asking skeptics but also including theist in this whole thing. Discussions are the building blocks of better understanding.