Interview Questions and Answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Interview Questions and Answers
(19-11-2014 06:12 PM)microterf Wrote:  Questions to ask Atheists – MrKrispy601

1. How old do you believe the earth is? Around 4.5 billion years or so.

What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
The same exact way I do most of my research on anything. Just looking up multiple astrophysicst studies such as Adam Gopnik and Neil Degrasse Tyson and comparing notes and checking credibility.

2. Do you think evolution happened? The question doesn’t make sense. Evolution is an on-going process.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it? I KNOW evolution is the theory of inherent characteristics of all life forms changing over a period of time. This is why we have different types of races, different species of dogs, winged birds, etc. . I’ve done I guess the same amount of research any person with a computer has done and it seems like a pretty simple concept(overall at least)

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one? To one religion in particular no but christian values were around me so I guess christian.

4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced? My family was Methodist Baptist. They pretty much always had me around it(saying prayers at night, church every sunday, etc.)

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact? Again another weirdly worded question. It’s not a fact because the definition of a fact and what is taught don’t line up as it being one. However, for the sake of this interview my parents believe it is a fact so they pushed it as it being fact.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god? Around the time that I figured out the whole tooth fairy/santa thing. I got in a LOT of trouble for asking questions so much during bible study.

7. Please describe your conversion process. This is a tricky one. Although I was raised in this environment heavily I always questioned it so I never actually believed it wholeheartedly. It was more of the fear that kept me around. Me going back and forth about if I was wrong was led to a lot of torment as a teen(turned down sex because of fear of hell, refrained from masturbation until I converted). I didn’t fully convert until I moved away from my parents at 18.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research. Yes and I have done SOOOO much study on religions in general in my own spare time. The research was eye opening in some ways and others scary. Eye opening because it finally answered questions for how people believe in their religion, Scary because I figured out some of the things people will excuse just because “God did it”

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity? As long as questions were permitted and it was an actual discussion(some back and forth).

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this? I usually don’t respond to this because at this point there is nothing to talk about. When I would rather believe in actual facts that have been proving so I can best understand the reality around me and someone else decides to believe because of fear of reprisal or because it’s the better side of the fence then the argument isn’t on the same page and therefore over.

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion? I feel this question is moot. Just because someone or something has provide or done something for the better good it doesn’t excuse the bad things that are caused especially if they outweigh the good and continue to happen. That’s like defending a drug dealer that has ruined a community because he/she passes out turkeys on thanksgiving.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions? I understand that for most people their faith is their backbone and makes up a strong part of their everyday decisions. Sometimes these decisions are for the best of mankind sometimes not and if that’s a possibility it’s extremely important to keep your religion away from political decisions. Now in the case of social decision I’m assuming that you mean choosing who will be in your circle. I think this is also a terrible thing mainly because I’ve had friends be cut off from their families due to religion and choosing a deity over your own family because of fear is as immoral as one gets.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god? What do you mean by personal god? If you’re referencing the belief in a deity period 10 due to lack of testable evidence.

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic? It’s always been about answering questions for me so evidence and logic.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.” Faith is no more than gullibility. Believing something with no good reason or testable evidence is silly. Grand claims like the claim of a supreme being require grand evidence no less.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god? Try reading your bible from cover to cover would be a good start for most. This is not to convert or anything but to actually gain knowledge on your religion. To not be afraid of asking questions and if you are because of you think your God would punish you for having question(having doubt) then maybe you should really think about who you’re worshipping.

What other comments or questions do you have for me? I really appreciate you not only asking skeptics but also including theist in this whole thing. Discussions are the building blocks of better understanding.

My apologies for all the grammatically errors. Long shift at work today has me kind of out of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Questions for Atheists CleverUserName
1. How old do you believe the earth is?
Four billion years.

2. What research have you done to come to this conclusion?
Science classes.

3. Do you think evolution happened?
As far as I know it's the only offered explanation that doesn't involve magic, so yes.

4. Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it?
I haven't really researched it as the topic never really interested me. From what I've gathered from around the internet, evolution is when a species gradually (very gradually) changes to better survive in its environment.

5. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
Yes, I was Catholic.

6. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced?
Everyone in my family was and is religious, and into it enough to teach Sunday School. I can't really pinpoint the age where I was introduced, but it was probably before I turned a month old.

7. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
Yes.

8. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
I was around twelve years old.

9. Please describe your conversion process.
I was going through a phase where I enjoyed reading mythology. I was reading some online and it occurred to me that if these ridiculous stories were in the Bible I'd be taking them as fact. So I just kind of dropped belief in the book right then and there and belief in God went with it.

10.Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research.
I have not read the bible, except a very small portion of the Skeptic's Annotated Bible. Any knowledge of theology comes from memories of church and my few years in Catholic school, and what gets brought up on atheist websites.

11. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
Probably not, I prefer something I can participate in.

12. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
Belief is not a switch that can be flipped at will, I can't make myself believe in something that's very obviously false, and I consider it below my dignity to beg for forgiveness from someone else's imaginary friend that has about as much chance of existing as Santa Claus. I encourage anyone who uses this argument to try regularly pleading with Mother Nature to not hit them with a tornado, so they can get a taste of what they're suggesting we do.

13. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion?
Yes. Between the large amount of money wasted building and maintaining pointless buildings and objects, lives taken and wasted for various religious reasons, intellectual repression, and just general horribleness of making people feel like there's something wrong with them when there isn't, whatever good's come out of religion's been outweighed. And besides, if someone really wants to do good, they shouldn't need religion to push them.

14. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
Very. Things like that need to be looked at logically and decided based on what will positively effect people, not what will please some imaginary god.

15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god?

16. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
If I was going based off emotions I'd continue to be religious, it has a lot more emotional perks than being an atheist. I am, and continue to be, an atheist because it's what the world around me supports.

17. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
If that's the best they can give me then I immediately consider whatever they're telling me about to be wrong or nonexistent until they can make a better argument.

18. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
Read their book objectively. Don't bend over backwards to try and make it better than it is, don't add anything your preacher or your family says, just read it like you would an other book picked up from the library. See how you feel after that.

What other comments or questions do you have for me?
None.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
22-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Hey microterf did you get my email?

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
23-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Questions to ask Atheists - Free Thought

I believe the Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old.
I’ve done some casual study into the methods by which scientists are able to gauge the age of the Earth (for instance the reliable Argon-Argon and Potassium-Argon methods), and I’ve also read a considerable amount of articles on the subject from various Journals and science communication websites.
2. Do you think evolution happened?

Evolution not only did happen but does continue to this day; to say otherwise would be absurd in the light of all available evidence.

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it?
Evolution is the change of species over time.
As a student of biology, I focus on evolution as part of my study.
3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
No.
4. Was any of your family religious at all? If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced?
As far as I understand, my parents are religious, albeit to the most minute extent in terms of their out-right beliefs. My father has stated to be a Catholic but I do not know what my mother believes.
I do not recall ever being ‘introduced’ to the religions of my parents, indeed they endeavored to keep religion out of my upbringing, but I was included (against my childish will) in religious ceremonies like the baptisms of my cousins and I was myself baptized young before I spoke.
5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
No. When it was brought up, religion in the house of my youth was treated similarly to a fairy tale that “some people believed”.
6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
I never recall accepting it to begin with; as far as I can remember, the concept never made sense to me, so I always questioned the stories I’d see on the TV. Never felt like I got straight answers.
7. Please describe your conversion process.
That might be difficult for a person who never converted.
8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology? If so, please describe the research.
I have tried to read the Bible once. I have no shame in admitting that the book was so boring, poorly paced and poorly formatted that I barely scratched the surface of Genesis.
I haven’t studied theology much; I’ve examined the history, particularly the evolution of what became the Christian god and I’ve done some casual study of individual sects like Calvinism and Catholicism but theology itself has never held too great an interest for me.
9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
Probably not, I’m just not too comfortable in that sort of likely crowded scenario.
10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
“So, what, an all knowing God would not be able to tell the difference between genuine sincere belief of its own accord and acting to get away from the flame?”
11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion?
While there has certainly been good done in the name of religion, I do think we would be better off if it disappeared in the next few decades or centuries; much of the bloodshed and inequality in the Middle East and South East Asia today is religiously motivated and in the western world, religious belief often stands in the way of scientific research and the rights of women to have reproductive control due to the ‘strongly held beliefs’ of others. Yes, a great deal of social security net coverage would be lost as organized religions begin to fail, since they are one of the larger facilitators of charitable aid, but I think they would be duly supplanted by a succession of secular private and government funds which would be able to move into the ‘charity community’ which religion attempts to hold monopoly over. (I dare not answer in the light of ‘if religion never happened for I cannot imagine it in any great detail.)
12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
I think it is of the utmost importance; peoples religious beliefs of course will be manipulated by others. Best to keep them out of politics and the like all together to ensure people vote of their own accord, not simply because somebody agrees with their religious preference.
13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god?
9.99; I’m not absolutely sure, but I’m close enough as to make no practical difference.
14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
My entire reasoning for not subscribing to religion is entirely based on rational evaluation: given the total lack of evidence of any deity, and the logical inconsistencies of deities (the paradoxes associated with omnipotence and omniscience for instance) I have no reason at all to believe in them.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
“What would you say to a judge or jury who in a criminal court case stated at the very beginning ‘I have faith that the accused is guilty!’ and saw the man sentenced? It’s an absurd proposition, would you not agree?”
16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
I’d tell them to evaluate the evidence more closely; don’t go to a priest or apologist, but think for oneself on the evidence. And they should keep their religion out of my life, out my parliament, out of my schools and my science and away from children who should be allowed to investigate for themselves in the meantime until they’ve looked for long enough.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
24-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Questions to ask Christians -5

2. Do you think evolution happened? No

Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and what part does not make sense to you? Evolution: a process of things (energies or things in the cosmos) evolving and coming together to create substance or life forms.
In our vast universe, things just do not happen to be at the right place at the right time meeting up with the just right gasses, oxogen here and none there to form our vast universe, earth, waters, sky, trees, life form etc…

3. Matthew 10:29 states that not even a sparrow will fall to the ground apart from God’s will. If God’s will is already guaranteed to be done, what purpose does prayer have?
God has given us a free will. He does not violate that will! If you do not accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, He cannot guarantee you eternal life. He cannot force you to live righteous, therefore His will is not guaranteed of eternal life for you. Why do you Pray? Because we can pray the perfect will (the best) of God for your life, this allows God to work in your life. You can reject Christ, therefore eternal life being God’s will cannot be granted to you.

4. If Jesus is God, and if God is omnipotent, why did the redemption of humankind require Christ’s torture and execution? Why would a God with limitless power not simply forgive man his sin? Because dominion was given to Satan, through a man so God had to become flesh to take back the dominion and the power over death, hell, and the grave through living a sinless life. At the cross (his torture and execution) he bore (took on) everything that we would ever endure and he overcame them, so then we would be able to overcome them in our lives as well.

5. Do you believe that the bible is the perfect, accurate and divinely-inspired Word of God? As the bible’s authors cannot be verified by sources outside of the bible, how do you know that this is true? YES! I have seen the Work in my life, I have seen as apply the Word to my life and live out the word that things do come to past as it says. It is BY faith we believe and receive.

6. Is God really all-powerful? Omnipotent? Is it true that He can do anything? If this is the case, why has God not already defeated and destroyed Satan? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to conquer Satan before Adam and Eve could be tempted in the garden? Why do you think God is waiting?

7. If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation? The altar at that time was a form of sacrifice in the day of Abraham, for the atonement of the sins before Jesus went to the cross. Then Jesus Christ became the sacrifice for the sins of the world so we no longer have to sacrifice on the alter like before. Christ paid a debt that we could not pay! For God today to ask us to do that today means we do not believe in the sacrifice of his son. God dose speak to me about doing things in faith, and I have seen God come through in many ways in my life. God is good and his nature is not to kill.. He is life!

8. With terrorist groups like ISIS today reminding us of the danger of extremists, we are reminded of the Inquisitions and Crusades. With so much violence in the name of religion, would we ever be better off without religion? This is not instructed in how to live and to act and to respond with a Christ centered lifestyle and believing in the Word of God (Bible) (true Christianity says to love your neighbor, pray for those, choose life…etc…)

9. In his book “The End of Faith” Sam harris writes “The Bible does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century" and argues that if it were written by an omniscient god it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about humans. How do you respond to that?

10. How much sleep have you lost in your life over whether or not you are worshipping the right god? NONE

11. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too? Not sure, I am a type of person, that I have to know for myself

12. Have you had a spiritual experience? If yes, could you describe it? YES

13. Many people throughout the world have had spiritual experiences and miracles, many of them have attributed them these experiences to their god. How would you explain the same effect for people of different religions? Wouldn’t you expect the one true religion believers to be the sole recipient of these? The bible says that it rains on the just and unjust… also God says, that he will have mercy upon who he chooses, it may be at times unbelievers… We as Christians have a guarantee of healing, miracles, and of the supernatural… There is also another spiritual being that is a deceiver….
Could elaborate much more…but many of these questions could be serious 5 page reports…

14. What religion were your parents? What age were you introduced to a religion, and is that your current religion? Christian, all my life, Christian

15. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong would you rate your faith, with 10 being the strongest? 10 (faith in my belief in Christ Jesus)

16. With so many different religions in the world today, either one of them is completely correct, or all of them are wrong. Would you be open to studying works of other religions, or secular works by non-believers? I know that God is real, I do not allow myself to argue with people that do not believe like I do, However, I will tell them the life experiences and the things that has happen to me for me to believe this way… I will tell them that Jesus is the only way to Heaven and share the gospel, knowing they may reject me…(the rejected Jesus)

17. Have you read through the bible? How well do understand the bible? I have not read through the whole bible, I set out a quest to do it for a few years…. I understand some, however I and forever learning and the Holy Spirit is revealing more and more to me each day.

a. If my father gave me a book on his death bed, and told me that everything I ever needed to know was in there, I would make sure I read it until I understood everything.
It is a daily process, the more you read it the more the Holy Spirit reveals to you, you will never understand everything….. you are forever learning… even in this life we live today, we do not know it ALL or never will know it all.

18. If your pastor came in this Sunday and told you they had proof there was no god, but they believe in community and people so they will keep preaching every Sunday to help with moral guidance and motivational speaking would you keep going? No

19. If somehow you realized there was no personal god, how do you think it would affect you? This question is more to gauge if you feel that you need to BELIEVE in a god, or if you believe because you think it is true. I cannot answer this, because I know this will NEVER happen.

20. Congruency in the bible is one of the biggest selling points as it is 40 different authors for 66 books over 1500 years. Isaiah 37 and 2 Kings 19 are identical. I would suggest that this strongly implies that 2 Kings 19 was copied from Isaiah 37 meaning the author had access to it. Why shouldn’t we believe that this isn’t the case for most of the bible? I do not have time to study all that out right now, and have an answer for every question right now, however I do know I have seen the word work in my personal life. God has to be real to you.

21. What advice would you have for atheist or subscribers to other religions? Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your way acknowledge Him and he will direct your path. Try God, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain! What if I am right and they are wrong? How does it effect your eternity? Massively! What if you are right and I am wrong, how does eternity effect me? No effect!

What other comments or questions do you have for me? I can elaborate much on these questions and give these long answers and try to convenience an atheist to believe, however, the best way I can do that is to be an example and let Christ show through my life. And know that I do not know everything, I am still ever learning, so I will speak what I know if the listener wants to listen. We all have choices. Then we have to live with the choices we have made and one day give an account to what we have heard.

24-11-2014, 06:51 AM
(24-11-2014 06:16 AM)microterf Wrote:  Questions to ask Christians -5

Wow. Just wow. That one was truly disturbing.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
24-11-2014, 07:27 AM
(24-11-2014 06:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 06:16 AM)microterf Wrote:  Questions to ask Christians -5

Wow. Just wow. That one was truly disturbing.

Yeah, Especially how she just bothered not to answer any of the questions she knew there was no good answer for.

24-11-2014, 07:34 AM
(24-11-2014 07:27 AM)microterf Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 06:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Wow. Just wow. That one was truly disturbing.

Yeah, Especially how she just bothered not to answer any of the questions she knew there was no good answer for.

The Pascal's Wager part was pretty funny though!
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
24-11-2014, 07:47 PM
On a scale of 1-10, how sad is it that these people have little to no understanding of science and their thoughts are just flat out disturbing. Its like that container you've had in your fridge for months and you open it to find moldy, smelly, disgusting stuff. Its not even food anymore.

These people have let their brains go to rot, because they are closed off from any new information

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
24-11-2014, 09:51 PM
4.5 billion years, give or take.
This number is so widely available that's it's impossible to attribute it to any one source. If you must have such a source the recent Cosmos TV show is as good as any. If you object that I'm simply deferring to an authority, I disagree. I'm deferring to experts. There's an important difference between an authority and an expert. An authority simply claims to have knowledge. An expert not only claims knowledge but is willing and eager to share the methodology by which he discovered that knowledge, and his data.

2. Do you think evolution happened?
Yes!
Can you give a brief description of what you believe evolution is and if you’ve done any research on it?
Evolution is the emergence of new species from older species through random mutation and natural selection. That definition works for me. I have done no research on it. I am not a polymath and biology is not my field. I do not endeavor to be a polymath because I do not think such a thing is possible in today's world.

3. Did you used to subscribe to a religion? If yes, which one?
Yes. Christianity.

4. Was any of your family religious at all?
Difficult question. I mother was kind of religious but I think she saw it mostly as a social event.
If they introduced you to a religion, which age were you introduced?
I can't remember when we didn't go to church.

5. If/When you were introduced to a religion, was it taught to you as fact?
Yes.

6. At what point did you start to question the existence of a god?
Age 12.

7. Please describe your conversion process.
You mean "deconversion". I don't think it was a process. It was a gradual realization that the Bible did not agree with science. Given this dichotomy it was impossible for me to choose religion over science. I was deconverted by the time I entered college.

8. Have you read the bible, and/or done other research on theology?
I read the entire Bible, cover to cover, when I was 17. I have done no research on theology but then, other than professional clergy, has anybody? Including Christians?

9. Would you attend a church type service where they talked about morality and promoted community togetherness without talking about a deity?
No. I don't see the point.

10. Many believers use pascal’s wager saying “It is better to believe and be wrong, than not believe and be wrong.” How do you respond to this?
"Do you really believe your god would not see that you are trying to cover all the bases? If he did would he reward you for it? And what if Hinduism is right? Can you cover that with Pascal's wager too?"

11. With all of the good that has been done in the name of religion, do you think we would be better off if there wasn’t any religion?
A lot of evil has been done in the name of religion too. It's still going on. Even with Christians. Even in America. Is one stronger than the other? Or do they balance out? I don't know and I doubt I could find out. Whatever, I don't think religion is going to go away, so I tolerate it.

12. How important do you think it is to keep religion out of social and political decisions?
It's imperative but at the same time impossible.

13. On a scale of 1 to 10, how certain are you that there isn’t a personal god?

14. Is there a chance that you don’t subscribe to a religion based on personal reason (you hate god for taking your cat. Etc.) Or do you feel the reason you don’t subscribe is based on evidence and logic?
Evidence and logic all the way.

15. Going along with the previous question, how do you answer when somebody says “You just have to have faith.”
Trying to imitate the voice of Stan Laurel I say "You certainly do" and then try to change the subject.

16. What advice would you have for people who subscribe to a religion, or believe they have a personal relationship with a god?
No advice at all. It's pointless. They will not be dissuaded and, unless it's a formal debate, I have other things to do.

Sapere aude