Interview with Jackson, Mississippi Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
07-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Star Interview with Jackson, Mississippi Atheist
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's really good. A Jackson, MS church interviews an atheist.

http://youtu.be/7hzHSA7pSWc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
07-06-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: Interview with Jackson, Mississippi Atheist
Excellent video !!!

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I thought so. Neil Carter is very civil and effective at communicating his point. Maybe there is hope for us down here after all.
07-06-2013, 07:07 PM
(07-06-2013 05:56 PM)cjs Wrote:  I don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's really good. A Jackson, MS church interviews an atheist.

http://youtu.be/7hzHSA7pSWc

I don't really actively look for things like this. I more or less rely on the people here to bring it to my attention but I really enjoyed it and very much related to it.

Thanks!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
MSBB, a fellow closeted atheist here in Mississippi sent the link to me.
[+] 3 users Like cjs's post
07-06-2013, 07:32 PM
(07-06-2013 07:08 PM)cjs Wrote:  MSBB, a fellow closeted atheist here in Mississippi sent the link to me.

I'm thrilled that people are trying to have those types of conversations. I hope the reaction to it (by the congregation) was also positive.

The message is hopeful.

Heart

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Me too. I'm working my way slowly out of the closet with family and friends. I can't much on the job because people there are majority Christian and pray at some work functions. A few coworkers know how I feel, but the subject isn't something I discuss much one way or the other at work because it's, well, work. I like the TTA page on FB.

I'm lucky in that my mother is also an atheist, and my friends seem to be ok with me even if they are theists. I even date a Christian, who seemingly has no issue with sinning with me! ;-)
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm watching this right now. I'm only about 13 minutes in, but think it's great so far. I think a lot of theist don't realize that we are completely open to having conversations like this, in calm rational ways. I have a friend that I know thinks he is working on me by sneaking little comments in about god here and there, and making jabs about how science can't answer certain things (the assumption being that his religion can) but never being willing to have the conversation when I wan't to respond (because often time science and speak to it, but they don't want to know what it has to say). When he does these things I always say, "We can just have a conversation about this, as long as you realize my not agreeing with you is not attacking you personally causing a fight". But it never happens. I would love to just sit down with a theist friend of my and have this conversation.

I also like this point he just made at around minute 13. We don't disbelieve because something bad happened to us. Theist tend to think something terrible happening could be the only explanation for why we don't believe, reject or are angry with god. I don't what to wash all religious the same, but I do find it ironic when considering that many religious people do come to their religion because something terrible happening to them, the death of a loved one, a life changing illness, addiction, or whatever. In fact many Christians openly bank on that as they, the ones who recruit, actively seek out troubled, vulnerable people. Again, not saying that's every Christian's experience, but it's not an uncommon one.
[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
07-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Cloud, I liked that point too, especially with the analogy to finding out about Santa Claus. This isn't a bad thing, it just is new information that made him realize Santa was the parents. I too drifted away not because of one thing or any crisis, but mainly because of where the evidence led my thinking.
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I just watched that part too. He is doing such a great job of very simple explaining who we are and why, without as he says going into topics of debating ideology. I almost feel like giving this to every theist I know just so they have a better perspective on me, and stop the failed bible verse jedi mind tricks, or pointing out that they get to go to heaven for their belief and I don't, as though fear of going somewhere I don't believe is a thing that exist will change my belief. I've tried to explain the concept of I can't just believe in god like it's a choice or an option, or that I'm choosing not to. This usually comes up when they are all out of options in a 'debate' and resort to, "You just have to open up and believe and then you'll understand". I have actually tried a number of times making the point of asking them to just try to believe in Zeus and you'll see how you can't just believe something because you choose to. They never get it though because their eyes just gloss over and you can almost hear their mind think, "You're trying to compare my God to Zeus?! But my god is God" and any message is never received. They just take it as and attempt to mock their god by comparing him to bullshit gods. And no, that's not what I'm doing, I'm trying to use something you can actually understand and relate to to relate it back to what that is for me, ideally so you stop telling me I "just need to open myself and believe.
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post